Burn-in Naysayers:
Nov 5, 2009 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 115

MatchFire

New Head-Fier
Just curious, but why don't you believe in this?

I've seen many people posting about their disbelief of this seemingly (to me at least) logical idea that headphone drivers, being moving, flexible units undergo some form of physical change (loosening up, stretching, etc) that does, in fact, have an impact on the sound.

Since this concept makes perfect sense to me I was wondering if some of you could possibly explain your viewpoint, so I could better understand.

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #3 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatchFire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious, but why don't you believe in this?

I've seen many people posting about their disbelief of this seemingly (to me at least) logical idea that headphone drivers, being moving, flexible units undergo some form of physical change (loosening up, stretching, etc) that does, in fact, have an impact on the sound.

Since this concept makes perfect sense to me I was wondering if some of you could possibly explain your viewpoint, so I could better understand.

Most of the naysayers are onto something you are not.
Burn-in is logarithmic in its decay.
Most burn-in happens in the first few seconds of use.

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #5 of 115
Not many are against the effect of burn-in to headphones, but rather the transistor apparatuses, from what I've read..

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #6 of 115
There are products that require more burn in and some that need very little. Opinions may be biased from these experieces.

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #7 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrozenGecko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh boy... Here we go again... *hides in the closet* (let me know what it's over, k?)

lol. that along with ya profile pic, kinda funny =P

But yeah, there are different drivers and even some companies, yes companies not us (these are people that do the research by the way - an assumption), who do the burn in on behalf of consumers.

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #9 of 115
The existence of burn-in is more like a well established fact than a matter of speculation, but there is no definite answer to how drastic changes we can expect. There are some completely wild cases of headphones with "at least 1000 hours of burn in", which really puts me off, since people keep claiming that after XXXX hours a given can will acquire totally new properties, previously unheard of (good example: bassy K701 after said 1000 hours).

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #10 of 115
Whether its your ears or the headphones, something changes with *some* headphones. Where it gets silly is when folk start telling you that a headphone needs 400 hours before you can begin to appreciate it - life is too short.

Amps are a different kettle of fish for mine - tube or SS - I challenge anyone to plug a brand new pair of phones into an equally new amp, place the phones on your head and tell us how the first 20 or so hours goes. Many here have been on the verge of returning an amp, given it a few more days and been completely converted by the changes. If its purely psychological, its profound - I've never experienced the same phenomenon with any other piece of electronics I've owned. You can adjust to a poor picture on a TV, but you wont grow to love it, and onboard audio on all of my computers still sounds abysmal. For all that, I envy anyone who doesnt bother with the whole ritual.

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #11 of 115
I might add that none of my headphones has as many hours on them as my Sony IEMs (6-8 hours a day, 5 days a week, month after month), and they sound exactly the same as they did the day I bought them. Its one of the reasons I prefer fullsize cans (and speakers) at home - its an in-ear overdose at work.

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #12 of 115
My opposition to burn in is how people claim their once CRAP headphones now sound OMGWTFBBQ AMAZING after 1000 hours!

Err. . . you can't be serious can you? Oh you are. . . . .

Also, go do you research. How much do you think the drivers move? More confusing is people saying that a capacitor needs xxx hours of burn in. Wait I don't need to upgrade my graphics card, I'll just play games for 3 weeks straight and through burn in I'll get an extra 5 fps! Hmmm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked AKG about burn in with my K701s and they responded with little to no change with burn in

Yes and maybe they know a thing or two. Maybe people here know more. Maybe you can't really say either of those statements. All I can say is that if burn in invoked such a massive change in the sound, companies would advertise 1000 hours of burn in etc.

OP you win troll of the week award. Just look at the title. LOL

Naysayers. Woopie. I'm surprised it isn't heretic
wink.gif

I must make sure that my position is clear.
smily_headphones1.gif
  • I don't believe in such drastic changes from 'burn in'.
  • I do believe they change from when brand new but I believe this change is so minute and I can't hear the difference. I also believe like Mr Green that this happens during the first second etc.
  • I have nothing against people who believe in burn in. I do not think less of them. My best friend truly believes in burn in and is much much smarter than me.
  • I'm adamant that ss amps can't change.
  • I'm ok if you think I'm a massive jerk for this post.

Check the sticky on burn in and notice it is open ended. It's ok to be a believer or a non believer, whatever makes your music sound good is all that matters.

Peace out
tongue.gif

Nov 5, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #13 of 115
From what I've seen, it seems like 99.9% of people who claim massive changes after burn-in never compare their "burned-in" headphone to one that is brand new out of the box. This would really substantiate their claims that physical changes in the headphone are occuring and "100% real" as often times described.

IMO, burn-in effects are psychological. You just get used to the sound (as well as any faults) over time.

Nov 5, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #14 of 115
Why do we need to 'adjust' to the sound as said by people who don't believe in burn in. Is there a scientific reason? I don't understand what happens in this adjustment phase. I mean it's one thing to say burn in is false but to then suggest another theory with little or no proof is really just going around in circles.

The more I think about it the more confused I get. I'll just be listening to music from now on.

Nov 5, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #15 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll just play games for 3 weeks straight and through burn in I'll get an extra 5 fps! Hmmm

bad example. This actually happens in a lot of cases
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back