Burial - Untrue
Dec 15, 2007 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

goldenratiophi

Headphoneus Supremus
I had started writing a review.

I have deleted it and replaced it with:

"Holy ****."

Untrue is the most immediately impressing electronic album this year. And I'm only on track #5.

eek.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #2 of 16
Incredible album.....I've had this on constantly for the past week now and I'm still blown away by it. Just wait until you hear Track 6 !! Etched Headplate .......... Enjoy
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by subfocus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Incredible album.....I've had this on constantly for the past week now and I'm still blown away by it. Just wait until you hear Track 6 !! Etched Headplate .......... Enjoy
biggrin.gif

I just finished. Yes, Etched Headplate is awesome. In fact, all the tracks are. But there is a certain shock that goes through you when the beat for "Archangel" kicks in that extremely chilling. Definitely one of the best of this year.

Dec 15, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 16
OMG yes.. this is a huge favorite with me right now. It has more or less introduced me to the wonderful genre of dubstep. Unfortunately, the rest doesn't seem this good.

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has more or less introduced me to the wonderful genre of dubstep. Unfortunately, the rest doesn't seem this good.

Yea, it is a good record. Been listening a lot myself. I agree that most of the others working this sound today aren't as good, but go back to the mid 90s with records like Maxinquaye by Tricky, and Dummy by Portishead, and Massive Attack and the rest, and you can find a lot of great stuff. Course, back then they didn't call it dubstep
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 16
meh... that old trip hop is ok, but I just love the clean sound (great production) of this album and the dreamy dubstep/ambient sounds. I like a lot of ambient, and this album really struck me in a big way.

Dec 15, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

meh... that old trip hop is ok,

!! what.. you- "ok"?!?

biggrin.gif
different tastes after all. I love "that old stuff." I haven't even heard Burial, but I agree that Portishead and Tricky definitely has more of a hazy or smoke-filled room sound than 'clean' electronica. I will try to check out some Burial when school is out.

Dec 15, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

meh... that old trip hop is ok, but I just love the clean sound (great production) of this album

Hehehe, 10 years ago is old now
smily_headphones1.gif

I hear ya though. It is more ambient than a lot of my favorite trip hop. And the Burial guy does use more modern techniques, apparently assembling and processing all the samples in Sound Forge. Pretty impressive. I do like it a lot, especially the Unite song that isn't on this CD, and it does have a cinematic quality I appreciate, like some of DJ Shadow's better stuff, but some of that old trip hop just seems so much more adventurous, and more organic. It really doesn't seem that different, though.

fyi: coming soon - download the Burial remix of Thom Yorke's And it rained all night

Jan 3, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #9 of 16
How could I miss this thread?

Heard Archangel for the first time about a month ago on the radio.
Immediately bough the album and oh my god.
It's amazing!

Jul 25, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #10 of 16
just purchased this yesterday after i heard the name burial (i tend to buy albums of artist i only know the name of)
but, wow! this is really beatifull! "archangels" almost makes me cry....

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 16
^ I'm in that camp too. To me, the press just wanted to anoint a dubstep album, which it isn't really in the strictest sense, so of course the hip, "indie" crowd jumped along.

No inference to anyone here of course! I certainly enjoyed it but didn't find anything game changing or revolutionary; just really proficient dub, beat music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back