Building the Perfect Portable Player
Feb 17, 2004 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

GSTom1

500+ Head-Fier
Accord to this RECENT ARTICLE IN PC WORLD MAGAZINE, this is what the author says would be the perfect DAP:

"So here's my perfect MP3 player: Give me the IPod's circular control wheel, some side-mounted selection buttons, the playlists interface on the Nomad, the codec and standards support of IRiver's hard drive players, and the stack-of-credit-cards size of some of the new 40GB players I saw at CES--at a price of no more than $400. Is that too much to ask?"

What do you guys think?

I agree that there is no perfect DAP out there and that each player out there does some things well and some things no so well. There are always tradeoffs.

redface.gif

Feb 17, 2004 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 34
I think his suggestion about the iPod scrollwheel is right. IMHO, the iPod scrollwheel is the best way to navigate through a large collection of mp3s. The advantage of the scrollwheel over a side-roller (the little wheel that is placed on the side, like in the Rio Nitrus I believe), and the barrel-roller (like in the Dell DJ) is that you don't have to lift your finger off the navigation interface while scrolling. When the player detects that you are scrolling, it can gradually increase the rate of scroll. Another method of navigation that offers this feature is that jog dial, but I feel like the scrollwheel offers finer control.

However, I think Apple's navigation could be improved if (as austonia has mentioned) the scrolling didn't stop at the beginning and end of the list. If I'm at the beginning of the list, and want to get to something at the end, it'd be a lot faster to scroll up and have the player jump to the end of the list than to have to scroll through the entire list. Some people say that they like how they can't scroll past the beginning or the end, since it prevents them from missing entries at these places. But, the way I see it, if you miss an entry at the beginning or end, just scroll back. Just as if you wanted to play a song that began at S, and accidentally scrolled past to T.

Finally, I think an ideal digital audio player would have a replaceable battery. As DAPs become more common, I think it is clear that often the first thing to wear out is the battery. Given that DAPs are so expensive, I would like my investment to outlast the life of its battery.

Thoughts?

--SuedeShows

[I edited this post somewhat.]

Feb 17, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 34
i may post my design for the (proposed) NJB4.
biggrin.gif
I've had plenty of time to think it out, wasting time away at work. Just wish I could get someone to hire me on and build the damn thing.
eek.gif

It would probably cost more than $400 though
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 17, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 34
austonia, please post it! You'd be suprised how many manufacturers read these boards and know whats going on...they just need encouragement to build better products!

I'm not sure I agree - a scroll wheel like on the Karma or Nitrus works very well when accelerated correctly. A quick scroll will get you to the end of the list and a slow scroll goes much slower. I never have to take my finger off the wheel because of this acceleration and some practice.

Feb 17, 2004 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 34
I would add a small number of things to that list :

optical audio out
OLED color screen
mic and input jack for on-the-fly compression
REPLACABLE BATTERY
100GB storage

I would gladly pay 500 bucks for that player.

Feb 18, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 34
50+ hour battery life, records radio, can be used to receive Sirius and XM Radio transmissions, usb 2.0 and firewire support, line out, powerful headphone out, can be used as a hard drive, and games like the iPod, except more of them.

Hey, we're dreaming aren't we? There will never be a perfect DAP unfortunately. Compromises always have to be made.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #9 of 34
Guys...you do realize that the perfect DAP is more than possible to make right ? But it will never in your lifetime...EVER happen. It will always boil down to compromise. Why ? Because if it didn't, then everyone would own the same damned player, and lots of people would be unemployed.

But here's my version:
smily_headphones1.gif

Take the iPods GUI/Nav system from the second gen players. (I hate the touch sensitive crap) Have no beginning or end so that you can scroll either way without stopping. Also take it's playlist functions.

Take some of the IHP's options like built in mic, and USB mass storage capabilities, so that no software is needed...I still want my file tree method.

Now take the NJB3's DSP's (EQ included) Line in/out, it's DAC, it's SNR and it's amps.

Now I want full format support just so that whiney people shut up. Then give me the Rio Karmas crossfading features (which includes gapless) and put it all into the body of something like the that slim Philips HD player.

Add in both Firewire and USB 2.0, with options to charge from either port, on any powered device with one...and I'm good.

Feb 18, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #10 of 34
can anyone suggest an easy-to-use 3D modeling program? I have an oversized paper-mock up built but it I want to build it in the computer where I can skin it and make some small adjustments.

Feb 18, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
can anyone suggest an easy-to-use 3D modeling program? I have an oversized paper-mock up built but it I want to build it in the computer where I can skin it and make some small adjustments.

Try Maya, I believe they just released a free version.

Feb 18, 2004 at 2:13 PM Post #12 of 34
i personally think the iHP is a perfect mp3 player. if it just had a faster start up time and on the fly playlists (which i admit is HUGE), i'd be happier. the iPod's scroll wheel is the only thing im still jealous of.

the iHP is pretty stable in my opinion but, just like any other player, a bit more stability would be cool.

Feb 18, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Take the iPods GUI/Nav system from the second gen players. (I hate the touch sensitive crap)

I LOVE that touch sensitive crap. Works great for me, and that there's no mechanics involved is the beauty of it. What do you like better about the 2nd gen?

Feb 18, 2004 at 2:41 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by PeterR
What do you like better about the 2nd gen?

the mechanical buttons of course!
smily_headphones1.gif
sold my 3rd gen shortly after purchasing it.

Feb 18, 2004 at 3:10 PM Post #15 of 34
A big one for me is folder based browsing. ID3 tags are far inferior in my mind. I'd much rather be able to choose exactly how my music is sorted, without relying on preset tag categories, like artist, album, or genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back