Building setup under $1000 HD650 + Meridian Explorer + AMP ?
Aug 2, 2013 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Cauhauna

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have monster turbine pro copper IEM and enjoy them tremendously. Recently, I was told by an audiophile relative that I'm missing out on some sound. I've been using Winamp to play FLAC files. I have switched to J River. Is this the best software for Windows? 

PC is Alienware, Soundcard is SoundBlaster Recon 3di.

So, with a budget of $1000, and a need for bass (i am a basshead), I'm thinking:

-Sennheiser HD650
-Meridian Explorer DAC
-Amp   (not sure which -- need recomendations)

Any advice? Thoughts? 

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #2 of 9
I would personally go for the HD600 which is cheaper than the HD650 and technically very similar despite having different sound signatures. In fact, they can be EQ'ed to sound exactly identical.  
I have the Matrix M-Stage which is an excellent amp for the price. See review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/475618/matrix-m-stage-amp-review-simple-cheap-and-excellent

The iFi iCAN is also an excellent amp. It's not quite as detailed as the M-Stage (not a huge difference though) but it's much more versatile as it has very good bass boost and soundstage enhancement functions that don't degrade the sound, the former of which should meet your basshead needs. Review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/654405/ican-amp-review-a-new-amp-that-gives-you-more-more-bass-more-soundstage-and-more-detail

I don't know much about the Meridian Explorer but a full-sized DAC like the Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 would probably sound better than a tiny USB-stick looking thing (review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/603086/review-grant-fidelity-tubedac-11). However if you really want something super portable like that, take a look at the AudioQuest Dragonfly which has a similar thumb-drive form factor but also packs an amp: http://www.head-fi.org/t/617241/audioquest-dragonfly-review-affordable-outstanding-tiny-dac-amp

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 9
The advice regarding the HD600 is great.  Although I do think the HD650 has a crisper more detailed presentation, it is not worth the cost if you want to spend more on an amp in order to really make either pair shine.

I highly recommend the WA-3 which runs $520 USD.
http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa3.html

The HD600 and HD650 just sound awesome from this amp.

I also agree that the Meridian Explorer is not the best DAC.  If you really want your setup to be at its fullest potential you want to keep each component on equal ground and not skimp if at all possible on any one component.

If it were me this setup would be quite awesome:
HD600 at $400 max
Woo WA-3 Amp at $620 with the optional $100 pre-amp installation
HeadRoom Micro DAC at $225 ( An excellent DAC on sale )
----------------
Total:  $845

As with anything audio expanding your budget can really make all of the difference.

Seeing that you really enjoy thick bass you may want to shy away from the HD600/HD650 as they are more neutral sounding compared to a bass heavy headphone like the ATH-M50, Denon AH-D2000, and perhaps the Shure SRH840.

If you go with a more bass heavy, but good headphone, you can change the setup above to something like the JDS Labs O2+ODAC Combo.  This is because the O2+ODAC combo is designed to be very neutral sounding thus letting your headphone do the coloration if you want to call it that.

The O2+ODAC Combo runs $285 new
The Shure SRH840 run $200 new
Total Cost:  $485

This setup is not quite as fun sounding as the HD600 combo previously mentioned, but it will be a great combo and sound great.

Aug 2, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 9
I appreciate the responses and time spent on them. Portability of Amp/Dac isn't important, it will not leave my desk.

So far, It looks like either:
-650 (not really interested in the 600)   $500
-iCan Amp     ($269)
-some DAC $300

Total: $1069

I am still leaning towards the 650 because I feel it is a very scalable HP that could deliver excellent bass when paired with the iCan Amp. I read the full linked review, which actually used the 650 in the test.

or
-ATH-M50S ($110)
-O2/ODac Combo ($300)   <--- By the way, I can't get their website to work and can't find it for sale elsewhere.

Total: $440

The M50S looks like a great deal and seems to have excellent bass. Some reviews say that the M50 is in no way comparable to the 650, which makes me want to spend a little more on the front end and get headphones that won't need to be replaced as I "grow out of them"

By the way, what are the thoughts on the schiit stack? At $200, that seems like a great deal.

Also, do I really need a DAC? Is my Sound Blaster Recon 3di any good? It does have S/PDIF, fwiw.

Aug 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 9
Nor would we expect you to ever leave your desk when you have something that sounds this good. lol j/k  
If you like the thicker, warmer sound, by all means go for the HD650. Personally I prefer my mids a bit on the leaner, neutral side when paired with bass emphasis.

I wouldn't get the M50. It's a good headphone but it's not really an upgrade to your MTP Coppers, and it would be a bit overkill to pair it with really good gear.

The Schiit stack is a great deal. Most people who have heard both feel that it performs similarly to the O2+ODAC for less money and it's better looking too.

I have no experience with SoundBlaster other than my old Extigy which was not very good. I'm sure a good DAC would be an upgrade though. And actually the TubeDAC-11 has a pretty decent headphone section too, so you could actually skip the amp without too big a sacrifice, as an interim solution until you're ready to add a better amp. The M-Stage would be an upgrade, and of course anything from Woo Audio is amazing if you're willing to spend the money.

Aug 3, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 9
The ATH-M50 is not the best headphone unless you end up with it as a spare.  It is pretty dull at times, but I suggested it because it has definite bass compared to the open HD600/HD650.

The HD600 is also very very scalable just like the HD650, but if your heart is set on the HD650 I can understand, just know the differences are very subtle.

I think the Schiit products are pretty good, but I have seen a ton of reports lately here of issues which is why I am not suggesting going with them.

The O2+ODAC is easily on par with my Grace m903 which costs 5 times as much.  The HD600/HD650 combo paired with the WA-3 is just something that I have heard that really sounds good.  It does not deliver reckless bass and probably will not wow you in that regard, but having heard many amazing headphones including the STAX SR-009 the combo is well worth it.

The JDS Labs website must have been down for maintenance as it is up now:
http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=48

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #9 of 9
get hd650 and the explorer. i use it, u dont need an amp and it sounds glorius.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back