Building quiet PC from scratch, what to get?
Jul 17, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #61 of 72
Hi,

I have built and changed components etc on an HTPC for several years. I have now reached the stage were liquid cooling is the only thing I haven't carried out.

If you are running Windows XP it is pointless to install more than 2gb of RAM since the software has a RAM limitation.

I use a Silverstone desktop case an Athlon CPU since it runs cooler than the Intel equivalent, a passive cooled 9600GT (I play back videos etc), a couple of SATA disks (I have found from experience that Western Digital make the most reliable drives, never had one fail and they are also quiet).

I use a quiet power supply, larger cooling fans than the original ones - this quietens the unit since they are running at a much lower speed.

Obviously a quiet CPU cooling fan is desirable to cut down noise.

I use a Juli@ soundcard fed to a Benchmark DAC then into a Linn Naim system. (This is currently being updated). The DAC headphone output is excellent.

The other thing no-one has mentioned is the front end - have a look at Media Portal:
MEDIAPORTAL - free MediaCenter HTPC Software - MediaPortal Downloads

If you wish then the alternatives are Winamp (Get an early version, the latest are bloatware), or Foobar.

These are all free.

The best video and DVD playback software is Theatertek IMHO.

Obviously use ASIO and FLAC so be sure to get a sound card that supports ASIO.

RME are excellent in this respect since they have their own ASIO driver.

You can get cases with built in remote sensors and controller software, but I prefer to use a wireless keyboarI hope this helps.

Regards

John

I hope this helps

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #62 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can we assume that total, soup to nuts that 1k is your budget ???

Yes. What are you going to cook, something special?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #63 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Reeves /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

If you are running Windows XP it is pointless to install more than 2gb of RAM since the software has a RAM limitation.
I hope this helps

Depending on how many slots you have, you can get some improvement by running 3GB (2x1gb+2x512MB). 32-bit will see all of that memory. That is one reason I jumped to XP (x64). I have a full 4GB and it comes in handy when I'm encoding or rendering video.

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #64 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Reeves /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The other thing no-one has mentioned is the front end - have a look at Media Portal:
MEDIAPORTAL - free MediaCenter HTPC Software - MediaPortal Downloads

If you wish then the alternatives are Winamp (Get an early version, the latest are bloatware), or Foobar.

These are all free.

The best video and DVD playback software is Theatertek IMHO.

Obviously use ASIO and FLAC so be sure to get a sound card that supports ASIO.

John

I hope this helps

Thanks John,
I am going to run foobar or Winamp but I will look in to the others that you
mentioned.

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #67 of 72
Yeah I saw that Mini P180 build the other day... that HD box is pretty extreme. The 5.25 HD silencer bays do a pretty good job of quieting the drives. Plus when you're playing music, there isn't that much HD activity to make a lot of noise.

Jul 19, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #68 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by billbillw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depending on how many slots you have, you can get some improvement by running 3GB (2x1gb+2x512MB). 32-bit will see all of that memory. That is one reason I jumped to XP (x64). I have a full 4GB and it comes in handy when I'm encoding or rendering video.

John Reeves is misinformed- 32bit can see a maximum of 4gb (including video memory). The maximum you are ever likely to see in XP 32 bit is 3.5gb, so I haven't got there, but running 3gb and a 512 video card and I can assure you it shows up!

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #69 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. What are you going to cook, something special?
smily_headphones1.gif

Answer the question and I will cook you up something.

Quiet...Or Silent ???

One thing for sure...1k will build a smoking bad to the bone box that will do pretty much any and everything...And do it very well indeed.

Just gotz to know the answer to the 86k question.

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #70 of 72
Quote:

Answer the question and I will cook you up something.

Quiet...Or Silent ???

One thing for sure...1k will build a smoking bad to the bone box that will do pretty much any and everything...And do it very well indeed.

Just gotz to know the answer to the 86k question.

Silent please.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Jul 19, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #71 of 72
Silent it its.

Just a couple more questions.

Will this box be set in a desktop configuration, or HTPC where the case needs to look like a audio component ???

How much drive space do you need ???

Will the box be expected to do anything other than play music ???

And are you willing to spend a bunch of time putting the thing together ???

Jul 19, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #72 of 72
Quote:

Silent it its.

Just a couple more questions.

Will this box be set in a desktop configuration, or HTPC where the case needs to look like a audio component ???
HTPC

How much drive space do you need ???
300-500GB

Will the box be expected to do anything other than play music ???
play video occasionally

And are you willing to spend a bunch of time putting the thing together ???
Yes, I very much enjoy the process during any project.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back