Building quiet PC from scratch, what to get?
Jul 14, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #16 of 72
corsair 520hx is an awesome psu!!! i back it up fully. also for cheap ram, crucial ballistix pc6400.

if on a budget get a cheap dual core.

for motherboard, gigabyte ga-p35-ds3l is good, or abit ip35-e

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #17 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
corsair 520hx is an awesome psu!!! i back it up fully. also for cheap ram, crucial ballistix pc6400.

if on a budget get a cheap dual core.

for motherboard, gigabyte ga-p35-ds3l is good, or abit ip35-e

Thanks!

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #18 of 72
Personally, I think the best reasonably priced, but potentially very quiet, case you'll find is the Coolermaster Centurion 5. A good amount of room inside, plenty of space behind the motherboard tray for cable management (though thats less of an issue if you grab a modular PSU) and decent airflow make it my choice. Plus, it's not a bad looker, either.
wink.gif
IP35E is a good board - I think you'll like it. I've since upgraded my rig to one though I didn't get around to changing my sig.

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #19 of 72
Jul 14, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #20 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks!

What case to get for the abit ip35-e board?

It is a full ATX board so be sure the case supports the full ATX size.
Full ATX boards often have 3 PCI slots.

Micro ATX boards are smaller and often have only 2 PCI slots. My D945GCNL Intel 945GC Micro ATX Motherboard has 2 PCI slots.

Did you notice that the abit ip35-e doesn't have integrated graphics? You would need to buy a separate graphics board.

Newegg.com is a great place to shop. Prices are good, they are reliable and their return policy works. The customer reviews can be useful in avoiding poorly designed products.

Bill

Jul 14, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #21 of 72
I like the nMediaPC cases. Good cases at a decent price compared to others in this category. Tons of ventilation and made to look at home w/your other A/V gear. This new one looks cool. I'm not sure it's available yet?

NMEDIAPC HTPC 1000

I use either Rubyripper or EAC w/wine in linux to rip my CD's.

Jul 14, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #22 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by FasterThanEver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a full ATX board so be sure the case supports the full ATX size.
Full ATX boards often have 3 PCI slots.

Micro ATX boards are smaller and often have only 2 PCI slots. My D945GCNL Intel 945GC Micro ATX Motherboard has 2 PCI slots.

Did you notice that the abit ip35-e doesn't have integrated graphics? You would need to buy a separate graphics board.

Newegg.com is a great place to shop. Prices are good, they are reliable and their return policy works. The customer reviews can be useful in avoiding poorly designed products.

Bill

Thanks Bill!

Vlad

Jul 15, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #23 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ech0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the nMediaPC cases. Good cases at a decent price compared to others in this category. Tons of ventilation and made to look at home w/your other A/V gear. This new one looks cool. I'm not sure it's available yet?

NMEDIAPC HTPC 1000

I use either Rubyripper or EAC w/wine in linux to rip my CD's.

Really cool case. But it's not available yet and the price will be my guess around $300-400. Its also supports only micro-ATX.
But I found others HTPC Cases and some of them have good prices.

Jul 15, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #24 of 72
> Thanks for mentioning about graphic card.
> So which one would you recommend?

I would recommend a motherboard with integrated graphics rather than the abit ip 35-e.

When you buy a motherboard with integrated graphics to use with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU chip,

Socket 775 - to fit the CPU chip

Chipset - a Northbridge chip and a southbridge chip

The Northbridge chip will have the integrated graphics function. Some choices: Intel 945G, G965 (avoid), G31, G33, G35, some NVidia chipsets. Intel chipsets starting with "P" or "X" don't have integrated graphics.

the Southbridge chip will have the PCI bus support and the IDE and SATA drive support. Intel ICH...7,8 or 9 are relevant choices. If your motherboard has an NVidia Northbridge chip, it will probably have an NVidia Southbridge chip.

My last motherboard I purchased had the 945 G chip and an ICH..7 chip. Old but well debugged. floydenheimer recommended a board with the much newer G33 and ICH..9 chips for about twice the price.

Here is a newegg search for Socket 775 Intel motherboards. On the left, you'll see a list of choices for the Northbridge chip. (Click on more under Northbridge to see all the choices.)

Newegg.com - LGA 775, Intel Motherboards, Motherboards, Computer Hardware

One reality check. This process does involve some learning, fiddling around and installing Windows and driver updates. You can pay a local PC shop to assemble a PC for you based on partial or complete specification of the parts. Pick a good shop and you have few worries. Choose a poor shop and you waste money and are less able to cope with problems that arise.

Bill

Jul 15, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #25 of 72
Thanks Bill!

I am a DIY person and I never buy cables, amps and other stuff if I can make it myself. So with more time and learning plus help here I think I can handle it. It's just I’ve never had a chance to deal with PC hardware. But I am learning and feel a lot more comfortable then even 24h ago.
smily_headphones1.gif

Vlad

Jul 15, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #27 of 72
My advice would be just to buy low-power and quiet components. I have gone out of my way to get a low power cpu so I can keep my cpu fan at low speed. I also bought an enclosure for my hard drive to keep the noise down. A graphics card with a fanless cooler would be a good idea too.

If you are using open headphones, you will thank yourself for building a really quiet computer.

Jul 15, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #28 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I think I am ready to switch from CD transport as a source to desktop computer. Since I will be buying everything I would like to get it right from first time. I basically decided already which soundcard I am getting, its ether RME 9632 or AES16. (These only cards that can output AES3 24/196 digital output which I need.)

I have no experience with computer for audio purposes but I know that stuff like RAM, HD, CPU or PSU important if you use it for graphics design or games.

So how important RAM or Hard Drive in sound quality in my case and what to get?

RAM has no effect. So, this advice has nothing to do with sound quality: get a reputable cheap brand, DDR-2 800 5-5-5-18 or better at 1.8V. A-Data, Crucial, Corsair, and Patriot off the top of my head.

HDD: a quiet HDD will allow you, all other things being equal, to nicely remain closer to your desktop than a louder one, and/or keep the volume just a hair lower. The best way to go is get a quiet one in a case with grommet mounting, or soft-mount in 5.25" bays (being DIY-savvy, handing soft-mounts and suspension will not be hard, if you want to try it).

Quote:

Should be Windows based and in smaller form factor at list bit smaller then regular desktops. I don’t need best of the best just good enough to power my soundcard and do the job.
Thanks!

Smaller form factor, eh? Hrm...

Well, regardless, if you're up to building, don't get a big vendor box. Some used to be good (up to the early P4 era, Dell home PCs rocked, FI), and some are good when you pay a bit more (HP's current workstation boxes are nice).

In general, though, we haven't been soured to them just because they aren't DIY-friendly and uber-quiet. Across the board, quality is sub-par with big vendor boxes. Every time I see a new one open, there are missing power phases by the CPU, low quality capacitors, bad case design choices (like to save a few pennies), poor case materials, crap PSUs, or some other thing. There are many good reasons that companies with not-too-cheap products, like Corsair and Antec, can survive in competitive environments like PC components, when you can buy a whole PC off the shelf, and the quality of consumer lines of companies like Dell, HP, and Gateway is one of them.

My recommendation for hardware would be a nice Geforce board (or similar IGP), low-end Athlon64 X2 (X2 4200+ to X2 5200+), 4GB RAM (DDR-2 800, 5-5-5-18 or lower on any of the four at 1.8V, preferably a 2x2GB kit--RAM is too cheap to skimp on!), and two big quiet HDDs. MSI's K9N2GM-FD looks like a good one (I haven't used the board, so do your research! Just notice the no-heatpipe decent-sized heatsink, spacious-for-being-itty layout, etc.). Intel is nice and all (I'm running a C2D 2.66 on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R 2.0), but if you don't need the performance, stop at decent dual-cores, and save a few bucks.

When compiling and such, a speedy Intel chip is sweet, but for most people, it's far over what they need. Intel G33 boards are good, too, but lack integrated DVI transmitters, and tend to be more expensive. When it comes to performance, AMD is a good value at the low end, but as the performance ramps up, they hit a 50 foot thick brick wall. Intel doesn't have options quite as cheap, including video, at comparable performance, but once you get around the X2 5600+, it gets close to a wash, then Intel picks up in performance and performance per dollar. Also, the P35/G33 is a rock-solid "just works" chipset, the likes of which has not been seen since the 440 series (which ended with the 810). So, while I know it doesn't help by giving you more choices, Intel isn't necessarily a waste, even costing more at the low end of performance, if you want to pay a hair more to eliminate possible chipset issues (usually even the commonly-complained about ones are rare, but they can be a PITA when you're the one hit by one, so...
confused.gif
).

Your exact choices depends on your needs and how much work you want to do. SPCR is your friend. You should quickly notices many familiar handles. There are several good HDD choices, depending on what you want (performance, 2.5", 3.5"). If you get one of the Antec cases with grommet mounted HDDs, it's hard to go wrong with WD GP drives (for 750GB and 1TB, at least)...but there are others, and both WD and Samsung have good 500GB drives--check them out.

Don't do RAID--please! Use Karen's Replicator, or maybe even buy a backup app, like Acronis True Image, and back up your data to the other drive regularly (Acronis can do a whole OS image, making restoration easier). RAID is good for availability, but only protects against a narrow range of hardware failures, and does not protect against the majority of software failures that can hose your data. Yes, I have lost data in a RAID with all good hardware, and also from malfunctioning hardware that did not outright fail. The hassle of reloading the OS and copying data back is far less than re-ripping everything. This comes from hundreds of hours of personal experience after two such crashes (each radically different in cause).

For cooling well and quietly, check out more stuff at SPCR. The Scythe Slipstream fans (800 RPM stock versions) are the best quiet fans out there, and can be lowered to 400 RPM with ease (5 volts or so), and can go a bit lower, even. The new heatsinks from Scythe and Thermalright are tantalizing...as long as you get one that does not use push-pins (only a concern if you go Intel), you'll be fine. AS Ceramique is decent performing goop for the job, and very easy to apply (you can be sloppy with it and it's no big deal). AS5 is OK, but Ceramique is still the easiest to use.

Other general advice, since you seem a n00b at this:
- Take your time with the heatsink (especially TIM, unless you use the retail HSF), fan(s), and cables. It's OK if it takes you a couple hours the first time around. Just be careful and patient, and it'll all work out.
- Make sure to test the PC with a monitor and keyboard at the following stages:
1. PSU+mobo+CPU+heatsink+RAM in the case, all power connectors to the mobo and fans plugged in. Get int he BIOS, browse around, make sure the date is right, and if not, set it and save. Else exit w/o saving.
2. Everything else plugged in. At this pint, get in the BIOS' health screen, and keep track of temps and voltages for awhile (maybe as long as 30 minutes). Nothing to fret about, but if your CPU gets 15C above ambient just sitting there, FI, you probably need to redo the thermal paste (FYI, it will get hotter there than when idling at your Windows Desktop). 99% of the time, it will just be a boring wait. The 1% it isn't makes it worth doing.
3. Get a live Linux CD with memtest (almost all of them), and run it. With a brand new PC, if it makes a single full pass, I'd trust it. Another one of those things that's worth doing for the rare occasions you got bad RAM (rather, most RAM is not packaged in sealed anti-stat bags--I doubt it is bad when it leaves the factory).
- Once you have Windows installed, get the chipset drivers installed, get yourself to the newest service pack, and do all your Windows Updates before installing additional software. Then finish up on drivers and other software later. Due to MS getting mean with Autopatcher, this may or may not take forever.
- Use the web interface, go custom, and check out your optional updates, once the criticals are done. If it doesn't look like something to avoid (like the newest Windows media Player, depending on your feelings about it
smily_headphones1.gif
), get it.
- Check out Anandtech and/or Majorgeeks forums for good free AV and personal firewall stuff, among other things, if you haven't gotten that figured out, yet (I prefer AVG for AV).
- Spend much time browsing the SPCR gallery. I've been at it for a few years, and still can't make something like the typical neat and tidy box there, but it should give you ideas for laying out the cooling, cabling, etc..

I hope that helps and doesn't confuse you too much.

Jul 15, 2008 at 10:21 AM Post #29 of 72
Good advice Cerbie. To be honest I'd forgotten about AMD even though I used to have one! Oops!

I don't know about heatsinks which fit a small form factor case, but certainly for full size cases there are heatsinks available which can cope with a cool chip in a good case without use of a fan. However, in order to do this you will still need fans in the case itself to provide the airflow. It may become a tradeoff between the noise produced by a cpu fan vs the extra case fan speed needed to run without a cpu fan. If you want to get right into it, underclocking and undervolting a cpu would help reduce the heat produced and thus reduce the cooling requirements.

My pc runs a Tuniq Tower CPU cooler with the fan at minimum (1000ish rpm) and 1 Scythe S-Flex case fan running at around the same speed. It's quiet but not silent, so I may undervolt these fans to see what I can do.

Silencing PCs is a fun and frustrating process in equal measure. Well worth doing though.

...and in typical SPCR fashion, I now want to silence my fridge!
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #30 of 72
The Corsair 520HX's are very nice power supply's.

You can go with the 550TX if you are not running a windowed case and do not want to spend the money to go modular.

The Coolermaster CM690 is easily the best bang for the buck case on the planet right now...You will have to 7 volt the fans to quieten it down.

The nVidia 9600GT video cards also give you the best bang for the buck right now.

For heatsink you really cannot beat Theramlright...Best in the business.

I really like the Asus P5K Deluxe...Very nice board with all the whistles and bells...P35 Intel chipset is the way to go right now...Get one with the ICH9R northbridge if you want RAID.

On hard drives Samsung makes the quietest...But bang for the buck has to go to the Western Digital 64000AAKS's.

2 320gig platters for 640gig's...Smoking fast...320gig platters are the way to go right now.

I really like G.Skill memory right now...Some of the best overclocking memory I have ever used.

Yate Loon sells some very nice 120m/m fans in L,M,H series the L series (low speed) are cheap cheap and are very quiet...7 volt them and they are almost silent.

On the thermal paste I used AS5 for years and have switched to the Artic Cooling MX2...Supposed to last 7 to 8 years compared to the AS5's recommended reapplication every year.

Here are some pics of the CM690, Intel Q6600, Corsair 520HX, Abit IP35-Pro, 2x2gig G.Skill, MSI 9600GT, Thermalright 128SE with 3 6400AAKS's.

final1-1.jpg

final2-1.jpg

final3-2.jpg

mc8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back