Building my Magnum
Feb 23, 2012 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Melvins

Fake trader feedback from duplicate account: Frankzappa92.
Aka: Melvins92
BAD TRADER
OK guys I've been wanting to upgrade my cans for a while now, and the time is almost here! I plan on making a pair of custom Magum (grades), and have a few questions. I plan on starting from scratch and selling off my modded sr125is to help cushion the cost. Anyway, what all do I need? Which shells are the best? Which shells are the most economical? I already have a friend that plans on doing the build for me (chrislangly) and was just wondering about these details. Thanks so much for your advice, and look forward to what you guys have to offer!

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 20
Really? Bump

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 20
Alright. Will probably just do that. Really wish I didn't have to have these sent halfway across the country to get constructed. Do you think anyone would buy my sr125i drivers? If so, for how much? Not sure if I still have the original cups. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #5 of 20
there also is the issue that a tiny piece of wood on each shell fell off at a point, and had to be gurilla clue. I can still take the cans apart, it just would be a hassle and I'd like just to sell off my sr125i as is, for 200, pay a hundred for some shells, 125 for the drivers, and 25 and shipping and stuff to said constructer. and another 20 for the headband, and gimbals. So I would only be throwing out an extra 70. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 20
Gotcha. Well, I'd say Ohrenholz for cups, find the cheapest SR60s you can find to scavenge for gimbals/headband/roadblocks (unless there's some other source I'm blissfully ignorant of...), drivers from Rhydon, and obviously, Chris, if you need a leather headband, or cable.

(Oh, and as a new owner of v4s, I think I can safely say that you will not regret it. :wink:)

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 20
awesome man, and I really don't think I'll need to buy a brand new 60 just to get the headband and gimbals and stuff, hopefully someone will have left over parts here that I can scrape up. anyway, I sent Orenholz and e-mail last night, what's your build looking like?

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #8 of 20
melvin you've gotalotta balls starting a thread dedicated to your own headphone build ! i love it ! wish you well, let me know if you need any guidance, there is a range of outcomes to be had with those drivers and i've been enjoying your posts and wordsmithing so i'm pulling for you to succeed. I agree with what's already been said and encourage you to start slow and invest as little as possible. If you do have more to invest, i would encourage you to try a couple sets of drivers before spending it on cables, cups, headbands etc. I'd be interested to know if great phones can be made with those plastic cups for example. maybe so, if not i know a vietnemese guy in british columbia that can make you a cheap set of wooden inners.

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #9 of 20
awsome man, they don't come with inners? See, I'm pretty much lost for the most part in this. Just trying to get all my eggs in one basket for the most part before this whole thing transpires. 

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #10 of 20
your eggs are all scrambled at this point......the inners you have (if you have a grado sr) are plastic with another little plastic 'outer' shell towards the end.......the inners are what will dictate to a large extent, the quality of the sound you hear. plastic vs various woods vs metals etc all sound different.  so do you not have a grado set you will be utilizing?

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 20
Nope as I stated I wish to just sell my current 125i's, but as suggested, should I buy a sr60i all well, for parts? How much would wood inners cost

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #14 of 20
yeap. Cocobolo outers. regular grado inners. lol I listen to a ton of **** my man. I do like garage-y lofi-ish punk rawk though. What magnum did you build. Share your tale

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #15 of 20
and last fm is a few things. I use it mobile-y for the radio because it pretty much makes a spot on radio station for the music you "scobble" (record by listening to laptop/ipod/phone) and so yeah it just records all the music you listen to. Offers you suggestions and shyt and connects you with folks with similar tastes and you chit chat and sip metaphorical tea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back