Building my first Audiophile system for $300.
Jul 1, 2009 at 9:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

FantasyVL

New Head-Fier
What's up Head-Fiers

It's my first post, so please be gentle
bigsmile_face.gif

1. Budget: $300.
2. Source: All listening will be done on my computer and right now I have a Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card, which can be replaced if needed.
3. Music: I listen to all kind of music, mostly Pop, Rock and Hip-hop. 95% of my music are mp3 (varies from 128 to 320 kbps)
4. Headphones: I've done my homework and narrowed it down to 3 sets, the Audio Technica ATH-M50 ($105 on Ebay), AKG K271 MKII ($165 at Buy.com) and the Denon AH-D2000 ($210, also at Buy.com).

So Head-Fiers, please build me a system using one of those 3 headphones. Any suggestion is appreciated and I will seriously consider all of them.

atsmile.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 16
search the FS forum for some good bargains. Try a used Grado (sr325i for ±200 or sr225 for less) with a nice DAC/AMP combo (0404USB for ±150). That's my ideal budget setup. You can exchange the Grado for a nice smooth Sennheiser (HD580/600/650) is you are more into a relaxed sound or the D2000 (not heard it).

Jul 1, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 16
The Denons are great just give them time to burn in so the bass can calm down a bit. But all three phones would be great and scale well when matched with a cheap amp.

Jul 1, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 16
Read up the headphone out on the 0404 sucks.
Could be wrong but that's what I've read here.

Something like an Asus Essence STX + M-50 = Great. (lil' over $300)

Or maybe a JVC HA-DX1 as well ($90).
The underrated Beyerdynamic DTX series isn't to be underestimated either.

The Essence STX = the best DAC + headphone amp combo for sub $200 bar none tbh.

Jul 1, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Essence STX = the best DAC + headphone amp combo for sub $200 bar none tbh.

Soundcard sure. I daresay the EM-U line has a better sound than the STX at a cheaper price. I however, do not like my STX at all due to the flabby mids that come with the most popular opamp combos, and the only combination that solves the mids nerfs the highs something chronic.

Once you get into used, you open a whole other can of worms.

Feel free to ignore my preference for the clip over the STX, my ears are weird
wink.gif
But it sounds nicer to me so I dont particularly care what people think..

Jul 1, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #7 of 16
The cheapest improvement (free, in fact) is reripping your music to a lossless (assuming you have the CDs). I tend to use .wav (.flac didn't work in iTunes so I had to convert) though it does consume a good bit of hard drive real estate.

Bypassing the sound card entirely would be a good start (followed by an amplifier, especially if you're using full-size cans (as some of these have significant impedance and would be underdriven from the headphone out of your computer) or really cranking it). I've an Ordnance USB DAC that feeds my amp when I'm not playing through the iPod (it's relatively cheap, but works, which is always nice, and has a decent noise floor - at least to my ears).

It would help to know if you're going to be using this in a setting where ambient noise is an issue, and if music leaking from open-backed headphones would affect others.

Regards,
J

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 16
Wow guys, thanks for the quick responses.

paaj, thank you for the tip about FS forum. Although this is my first post, I've been lurking in the dark around here for couple months. I've considered almost all headphones ($10 - $200) that were being discussed on Head-Fi and narrowed them down to the 3 sets mentioned above. I would like to stick with them and move on to the next part of the system (amp and/or sound card).

kboe, thanks for the reminder. FYI, I'm already a victim of Head-Fi. Before coming here, my goal was only getting a headphone ($100 max) and look at where I am now
bigsmile_face.gif

chinesekiwi and CDBacklash, thanks so much guys, that's what I want to know. The M50 + Asus Essence STX combo sounds really good and it stays close to my $300 budget. I'll definitely check it out.
atsmile.gif

J, I wish I can do that but unfortunately, I don't have all the CDs with me. My music collection is the work over 10+ years span so re-rip all of them will be an impossible task.

With that said, I'm still looking for a good built that will use 1 of these 3 (ATH-M50, AKG K271 MKII and Denon D2000) + Amp / Soundcard (or both) and stay within $300 budget. Sound leakage/isolation is not an issue since the system will be used in a private and quiet home office.

Great advices so far, keep them coming guys
happy_face1.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #9 of 16
Just have a few more recommendations, you may also look into purchasing a Denon D1001 headphone for usually less that $100 (I don't think you would be disappointed). Also the choice of the AT M50 would probably be very good. As far as headphone amps look into Headroom amps such as Total Airhead for $99.00 plus shipping and the Total Bithead (with DAC) for $159.00 available on-line at Headphone.com. Also possibly the Nuforce-Icon Mobile(with DAC) for $99.00 plus shipping available at Amazon.com. There is also Firestone Audio Amps which include the portable computer amp Fisheye II(with DAC) for $97.00 plus $5.00 shipping, Cute Beyond Headphone Amp for $187.00 plus $5.00 shipping, Cute II Battery Headphone Amp for $189.00 plus $5.00 shipping, and the Fubar III Headphone Amp (with DAC) for $229.00 plus $5.00 shipping-these are available throught audiophileproducts.com. I hope these suggestions will help you out. Happy Listening.
beyersmile.png

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhfactor1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just have a few more recommendations, you may also look into purchasing a Denon D1001 headphone for usually less that $100 (I don't think you would be disappointed). Also the choice of the AT M50 would probably be very good. As far as headphone amps look into Headroom amps such as Total Airhead for $99.00 plus shipping and the Total Bithead (with DAC) for $159.00 available on-line at Headphone.com. Also possibly the Nuforce-Icon Mobile(with DAC) for $99.00 plus shipping available at Amazon.com. There is also Firestone Audio Amps which include the portable computer amp Fisheye II(with DAC) for $97.00 plus $5.00 shipping, Cute Beyond Headphone Amp for $187.00 plus $5.00 shipping, Cute II Battery Headphone Amp for $189.00 plus $5.00 shipping, and the Fubar III Headphone Amp (with DAC) for $229.00 plus $5.00 shipping-these are available throught audiophileproducts.com. I hope these suggestions will help you out. Happy Listening.
beyersmile.png

x2. The DAC bypasses the sound card so the amp gets fed cleaner signal (it's not being amped by the (arguably inferior) chip in the card thus you lose less bits of information).

Also, what kind of music do you listen to? I'm thinking about recommending the Grado SR-80 but it does tend to be more high frequency-emphatic, and a little uncomfortable for long sessions with the stock pads. Open backed, but they do give a nice soundstage (in my personal experience) at that price point (~US$100 or less).

Oh, I see you've mentioned rock, hip hop and pop. Do you consider yourself a basshead? Or would you be favouring a balanced frequency response?

Regards,
Jon

Jul 2, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #11 of 16
UPDATE***

I frickin' pulled the trigger...

A quick stop at a local Guitar Center today just for kick and I ended up with a set of ATH-M50s on the way out. Man, those guys sure know how to move in for a kill. After a long demo with the HD280, DT-770 and M50, I simply couldn't say No when they offered to do a price-match with an Authorized Dealer on eBay. I got the M50s for $99 + Tax while in-store price is $160...
atsmile.gif

My first impression about the set is... "HOLY crap, I didn't know my music sounds like this." Out of the box, this headphone kicks the snot out of my wireless Sennheiser RS120 (no more RF hissing noise
bigsmile_face.gif
). I don't know how much it will change after 100 - 200 hours burn-in but for now, I'm happy with the purchase. It's not without cons though. The weight is a constant reminder that it's sitting on my head and the ear-pads make my ears sweat a bit; not really a deal breaker for me.

So here I am again, $100 poorer and another $200 to burn in my wallet.

I read that the M50 doesn't really need an amp and I think I see that now. The music sounds "strong" and the details are definitely there. It gets pretty loud, even on my 5th Gen iPod. With the computer, I only need to turn the master volume up to 40% to reach my comfortable zone.

Now I'm thinking how to improve the listening experience with this headphone. At this point, a Amp/DAC begins to make a lot of sense. The Asus Essence STX that chinesekiwi and CDBacklash recommended is on my short list, together with the Total Bithead, Nuforce-Icon Mobile, Fireye II that rhfactor1 mentioned, basically all Amp/DAC or maybe just DAC.

Jon, I don't consider myself a basshead. What I use to distinguish a good or bad audio system is the way they bring out details in the music. Is that "balanced frequency response" according to you? Anyway, this might be vague but it's the best I can come up with: I want to hear music in way the artists want us to. Does that make sense to you?
regular_smile .gif

So guys, am I on the right track or not? Music already sounded pretty good with just the headphone, how much better will it be after another $200 purchase? Is the difference justifiable or the only thing I'll get is going over the point of diminishing return?

Jul 2, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #12 of 16
I would definitely check the FS forum for DAC/AMP option as you can find pretty good deals.
right now there is a corda 3 move which is considered one of the good portable amps within your budget. portable will give you the option to use the amp on the go, as well as with your computer. howvere, if its only for house use, you may find a better deal with desktop amps that will be a better option.

I heard the new EF2 at head-direct is supposed to be good. thats also within your budget and its sort of a hybrid tube/ss amp so that might make a good choice.

most importantly, since I don't have first hand experience with any of these please make sure and read up on them before you decide. These are just a few I have read here and that might suit your budget.

good luck with the search for your first set up!

Jul 2, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #13 of 16
Personally, I dont think you can go past the MS-1+Cowon option for starters, but if you guys can get decent soundcards/DACs that cheaply (?), by all means do so.

Jul 2, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #14 of 16
Hi fantasyvl...congrats on your new cans,hope you are enjoying them.
dac/amp combo is the way to go, headroom total bithead is a great idea imo.
i too have their total airhead(like bithead but without the dac option) and it was my entry into high end sound.
anyway..take your time to get the best out of your budget, and when you have more money to spend you can upgrade your gear(and you will
smile.gif
).

by the way,moving to lossless is a smart move also,and since you are using your computer,you don't have a space problem i persume. just take your time,no need to rip it all in one day, just one or few cd's at a time.
the lossless files together with the dac will give you the best lossless sound you can get.

good luck and enjoy your music.

Jul 2, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soundcard sure. I daresay the EM-U line has a better sound than the STX at a cheaper price. I however, do not like my STX at all due to the flabby mids that come with the most popular opamp combos, and the only combination that solves the mids nerfs the highs something chronic.

As I said, the Emu 0404, the best of the E-Mu line, has a dodgy headphone out + doesn't have an amp. I did write "best DAC + headphone amp combo' for a reason thus still holds true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back