Building my CMoy -- illustrated from start to finish
Aug 27, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Factor
I may just try hammering different sized nails through it. That would give me more size control than a puncher anyway.

!!! L.O.L. !!!

Sorry, couldn't help myself
etysmile.gif

Did you get the case problem worked out? I hope reconsidered using a big fat nail to try and make holes in your tin as you'll only dent and probably collapse it.

In my experience, the right tool for the job is usually the way to go. Get a new hole punch. Or start calling your family, friends or neighbors and find a drill you can borrow and either buy a stepbit, or borrow a set of drill bits. You may have better success with regular bits starting with a smaller hole and enlarging it incrementally with bigger bits until you arrive at the size you need.

You'll quickly forget the sloppy soldering hidden inside if the amp sounds good and it is cased in a clean-looking enclosure.

(This thread is too much fun).

tongue.gif

Aug 28, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #33 of 36
Thought I'd post a link to a cheap step drill available from Harbor Freight Tools. It's $8.99. Not the highest quality, but one would probably make several mint tin amps -- enough until you go semi-professional and buy a new one
cool.gif

Cheap Step Drill

There are others available in differing sizes and of higher quality from HF--just do a search on HF's site for "step drill".

This one might be better since it is single flute design (one cutting edge), which is generally better for thin wall material.

Single Flute Step Drill

Good luck. Let us know how/when it turns out.

Aug 28, 2004 at 2:53 PM Post #34 of 36
Factor, great thread.
Makes me want to try making my own from my cannabilized parts of a cmoy I wrecked.
Why did you consider the 2227 opamp instead of the 2132? I'm sure it will be sounding great when you're done.

Sep 13, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #35 of 36
hehe don't worry about your soldering. mine is just as bad. here's a tip. try tinning your stuff before you put them in. my neighbor showed me that and now my soldering has improved from crappy to less crappy
blink.gif

Sep 15, 2004 at 1:06 PM Post #36 of 36
Its really good to see someone else struggeling through the same things I did. I just finished my first CMoy last week. I'm ordering all new parts to make a bigger better cmoy next.
eggosmile.gif

[edit] BTW, I used a dremmel to cut the holes in my tin. Worked perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back