Building Interconects with Mogami 2893
Jan 26, 2011 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Operandi

100+ Head-Fier
On the advice some of members awhile ago I bought some Mogami 2893 wire to build some interconnects. I wanted some nice wire that was flexible and it certainly seems to be great wire and very flexible however I was surprised how small the 26 AWG wires are.
So...

1. I will need new strippers, I was looking at these Ideal T Strippers.
https://webvia.techni-tool.com/VIA/viaImagePageIndex.jsp?row=0&pgName=viaListProducts.jsp&searchText=462st050&modifier=SEARCH&reqTitle=TITLE_VIASEARCHRESULT&newWindow=Y

2. I planned on making some 1/8 mini jack to RCA cables and at least one RCA Y cable which would mean soldering one cable to two. Since this wire is such a thin gage I'm a bit worried about its fragility. What is the best way to strengthen cable at the joint where the two cables go one? Anything better than simple heatshrink tubing? 

Jan 27, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 4
Yeah, I wasn't sure about that link, the Techni-Tool site is a odd but that appears to be the exact same stripper so thats probably what I'll go with. I'll trust your advice on the wire. I've done fair amount of soldering, building crossovers and replacing some PC board components but never worked with wire that small.

Jan 27, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 4
Anything 23awg and smaller, I just use my fingernails to strip the wires so I don't lose any strands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back