Building first headphone setup around Headfive. Need opinions and have questions.
Jun 16, 2006 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Sinwerm

100+ Head-Fier
Headfive paid for and waiting to ship. Zhaolu DAC. http://www.diykits.com.hk/dac.html Will be using my PC for the music source. Power cables for both ordered. http://www.angelfire.com/biz/bizzyb/FROPOWER.html Akg 701s for the cans.

I need some help with the PC to DAC connection , is Coax better or optical for the Zhaolu DAC ? I will be doing it bit-perfect from the sound card. This DAC does support optical right ? Is toslink any better ? im lost on that though...

How much should I spend on the interconnects to the amp ? or suggestions , I would not like to spend over 60-80 USD on them I could go a bit higher if needed.

I have been reading and searching and this is what I have settled on for now. If anyone does see a conflict or a bad choice in component please speak up !! Im just jumping in with both feet now. I listen to many types of music , that cover most of the sprectrums , older country (Cash , williams bluegrass) , Rock (alternative , grunge and punk) , very little pop. Some classical from time to time.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. And to think I started here by getting a set of E3cs.

Jun 16, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #2 of 13
Have I done my research that well ? or is everyone laughing to hard to type ?
icon10.gif

Jun 16, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #3 of 13
I'm laughing. Guess what my new setup (in transit) is going to be?

PC > DIYKits Zhaolu > Headfive > AKG K701
icon10.gif

The DAC does support both. I read somewhere that the guy who's making/modding the Zhaolu said that a coax connection is noticably better. I bought some very reasonably priced interconnects (twin RCA and S/PDIF) that turned out to be exceptional quality from an outfit called SoundStable in the UK.

If you're in the US, these look good for the PC > DAC connection:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/RCA-mini-spdif.html

Personally, I don't think it's worth spending such a relatively large amount on exotic power leads. I don't anticipate any problems with the standard no-nonsense ones.

Jun 17, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by wush
I'm laughing. Guess what my new setup (in transit) is going to be?

PC > DIYKits Zhaolu > Headfive > AKG K701
icon10.gif

The DAC does support both. I read somewhere that the guy who's making/modding the Zhaolu said that a coax connection is noticably better. I bought some very reasonably priced interconnects (twin RCA and S/PDIF) that turned out to be exceptional quality from an outfit called SoundStable in the UK.

If you're in the US, these look good for the PC > DAC connection:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/RCA-mini-spdif.html

Personally, I don't think it's worth spending such a relatively large amount on exotic power leads. I don't anticipate any problems with the standard no-nonsense ones.

WOW ! that is too funny. Let'st hope great minds think alike
confused.gif
LOL.
I guess I will go with the coax then , I got the power cable for 19 buck on sale , so they were not that much of a hit on things. Well looks like we can have some interesting comparisons and opinions in the future. Thanks.

Jun 17, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 13
Hey guess what I've got...... (points to sig)
tongue.gif

Even though I have the discrete headamp upgrade in my modded Zhaolu D2 I have a Headfive that is being shipped to me. Wush is spot on about the digital coax cable and I have been recommending it for a couple of weeks in various threads. I went with the 6 ft. 1505F version and it is a well-built cable.

Sinwerm, which soundcard are you using?

Jun 17, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by device manager
Hey guess what I've got...... (points to sig)
tongue.gif

Even though I have the discrete headamp upgrade in my modded Zhaolu D2 I have a Headfive that is being shipped to me. Wush is spot on about the digital coax cable and I have been recommending it for a couple of weeks in various threads. I went with the 6 ft. 1505F version and it is a well-built cable.

Sinwerm, which soundcard are you using?

At the moment Im running an Audigy 2zs , I will most likely be getting a X-FI Platinum. I would prefer to go with a Juli@ but I game sometimes and need the Creative for the spacial effects ect... The XF-fi should be fine for bit perfect feed right ?

Jun 17, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb
Stupid question forgive the ignorance, is this dac already assembled? Or is this somthing that has to be sodered together, I'm guessing the latter hence the name DIY but figured I would ask
smily_headphones1.gif

It is fully assembled and tested. Also a host of mods are available.

Jun 17, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 13
OMG that might just be the best deal I have seen in a long time 109 dollars, and another $55 for blackgate's
eek.gif
I know what I am buying when I have a few extra dollars to play with, already have an emu0404 should be able to hook up to that
confused.gif
and my headfive witll be here soon
eggosmile.gif

Jun 17, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb
OMG that might just be the best deal I have seen in a long time 109 dollars, and another $55 for blackgate's
eek.gif
I know what I am buying when I have a few extra dollars to play with, already have an emu0404 should be able to hook up to that
confused.gif
and my headfive witll be here soon
eggosmile.gif

The shipping will run about 50 USD though. Most get the upgraded chip also , mine with chip upgrade , blackgates and some things Eddie is doing came to 273.00 USD complete with shipping , still a fine price.

Jun 17, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinwerm
The shipping will run about 50 USD though. Most get the upgraded chip also , mine with chip upgrade , blackgates and some things Eddie is doing came to 273.00 USD complete with shipping , still a fine price.

Yea even with shipping that sounds like a bargain
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinwerm
At the moment Im running an Audigy 2zs , I will most likely be getting a X-FI Platinum. I would prefer to go with a Juli@ but I game sometimes and need the Creative for the spacial effects ect... The XF-fi should be fine for bit perfect feed right ?

Yes, I use the X-Fi and it has bit-perfect out. Pick up the Xtreme Music for under $90 after rebate @ newegg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back