Building a system around Denon AH D5000's - what do you think?
Apr 30, 2009 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

holyharry

Head-Fier
I really need your advice here guys.

I am totally compromised in my ability to build a good Headphone System because there there are no retailers in Ireland who cater for serious headphone users, so I have no way of demo-ing headphones, amps, etc.

I've been buying equipment based on the excellent advice I read here - which means I now have items of well regarded sound equipment that have great merits individually, but just don't gel together for me.

Here's what I have so far... My sources are an iPod 80GB Classic, an old but sweet Arcam Alpha CD player and a Mac Pro with basic soundcard. I have one amp, a Mustang P-52, recently purchased. I have Shure SE530's and Denon AH D-5000's to listen to.

As it turns out, I rarely listen to my music on the go, and when I do I like to be able to hear what's going on around me, so the Mustang and Shures are overkill, and will have to go.

So I'd like to set up a decent home system...

I love the sound of my Denon D5000's, (though I would like to do something about the bloated bass) and would like to base my main sound system around them. I would like to use my Mac Pro as source, everything is ripped as Apple Lossless to iTunes, purely for it's versatility. I would like to use the Musical Fidelity X Can V8 as my amp, as I believe it works well with the Denon D5000's, and does a lot to tidy up the rampant bass. If that doesn't do enough, I'll mod the D5000's using markl's instructions posted hereabouts.

I need advice on building a good sound system around these. I love every kind of music I can get my hands on, so it needs to be versatile. I want to start with my Mac Pro and finish with my D5000's, and it all has to sound good together. My budget is around the $1,000

Any advice on what equipment I need to get good sound out of my Mac and into my cans? Sound cards, DAC's, Amps?

Thanks guys, look forward to all opinions!

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #2 of 14
The Mac Pro has optical out, and USB isn't an issue, so you have plenty of flexibility with what you choose as a DAC. The usual suspects come in here: Benchmark DAC 1, Northstar M192 and Lavry DA-10, all quite good value on the second-hand market. The new Audio-gd DAC19MK3 looks very promising, going its biggest brother, which I own. There are others (Stello, MDHT Havana etc), but since I haven't used them, I'll let other people suggest them.

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 14
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I'm still trying to get my head around using a computer as source... Am I right in saying that the Benchmark DAC 1, Northstar M192 and Lavry DA-10 could drive the AH D5000 without an amplifier? Or is it, for example - Mac Pro >Lavry DA-10 >Musical Fidelity X Can V8>D5000

May 1, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 14
The PS Audio Digital Link 3 at $695 is almost impossible to beat and it has balanced outputs as well as standard RCA. It can also be modded by Reference Audio Mods or Rick Cullen if you decide at a later date to bring it up to a world-class DAC. I have not done the mods yet because the DAC is already superb as is. In my opinion, it is superior to the Benchmark DAC1. And I strongly suggest using a high-quality power cord for the best sound possible on any DAC you choose. There are many amps to choose from in the $300 to $400 range that would complement the DAC nicely. The Corda Swing looks to be a nice amp in this price range and will be available in the next few weeks.

Edit: I sent my DAC out to RAM for the full mod.

May 1, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 14
I have found that the Denon D2000/D5000 sound better from SS amps. To that effect a few rise to the top, for example:

1. Rudistor
2. Blue Circle
3. Graham Slee Solo SRG

Some hybrids sound very good but you would have to try out a few to find your favorite. Tube amps can sound good but unfortunetly it would require a lot of testing. For example until recently I would not have recomended my MPX3 Slam, howerver with a Raytheon 5670 driving a pair of Sylvania 6BL7GTA it sound superb.

May 1, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by holyharry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I right in saying that the Benchmark DAC 1, Northstar M192 and Lavry DA-10 could drive the AH D5000 without an amplifier? Or is it, for example - Mac Pro >Lavry DA-10 >Musical Fidelity X Can V8>D5000

If you haven't sorted this out yet... Some external DACs have a headphone amplifier built in (e.g. Lavry, Benchmark, many others). For those, you can go

Mac Pro>Lavry>D5000

But others do not (e.g. Northstar, many others) and then you would need an amp in the chain:

Mac Pro >Lavry DA-10 >Musical Fidelity X Can V8>D5000

It can be cheaper to get an all-in-one box, but some may suggest that the built in amplifiers are of lesser quality than dedicated amps.

To really get the most out of your system and budget, I would sell the D5000s and purchase some D7000s and then use the rest of your budget for a solid all-in-one DAC/amp. In my opinion, D7000 plus decent lesser DAC/Amp will outperform the D5000 plus any more expensive DAC/Amp. Your issue with the bass will be addressed and the overall quality of the sound signature is improved. There are some inexpensive DAC/amp combos that have solid reputations. Dig around in the amps and sources forums.

Good luck!

May 1, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu Sensei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To really get the most out of your system and budget, I would sell the D5000s and purchase some D7000s and then use the rest of your budget for a solid all-in-one DAC/amp. In my opinion, D7000 plus decent lesser DAC/Amp will outperform the D5000 plus any more expensive DAC/Amp. Your issue with the bass will be addressed and the overall quality of the sound signature is improved. There are some inexpensive DAC/amp combos that have solid reputations. Dig around in the amps and sources forums.

Good luck!

X2. After getting the D7000 you might come to the conclusion that the D5000 sucks. Or to be more accurate, you might ask yourself why you got the D5000 in the first place.

May 6, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #9 of 14
Ok, after a LOT of research, here's what I've decided to go with. Comments welcome.

Mac Pro>PS Audio Digital Link 3>Rudistor NX-03>Denon AH D-7000

Budget is blown, but I'm buying second hand where possible and I'll fund this by selling some gear I'm not using... at least that's what I'm telling myself...!

May 6, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #10 of 14
Nice choice on the NX-03
smily_headphones1.gif
Awesome looking amp... Although i have no idea on the sound lol....
frown.gif

May 7, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #11 of 14
If you want the D7000, you can buy them from J&R now for $549 including free shipping. I had them go down to $525 for me. Ask for Terry at extension 1054. Someone else here said they got them down to $520 but I couldn't get him to go that low.

Excellent choice on the PS Audio DL3. It can't be beaten for the price. I recommend you get very good power cords for all your components. And you can always have Kyle at Reference Audio Mods do the modification on it for $600 (www.referenceaudiomods.com) + the NextGen RCA outputs for $125. That will turn it into a world class DAC. I'll have mine back before CanJam (as well as my D7000) so everyone who wants can audition it there.

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #12 of 14
Thanks for the help, IPOD do you like the PS Audio better than Buffalo32? And does the PS output 24/96 via usb?

Jun 22, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #13 of 14
i find it outrageously ironic that there are "no retailers in Ireland who cater for serious headphone users" when my HD 650's (and everyone else's I assume) are MADE IN IRELAND.

Oh, and going for the d7000, have you considered foing the (in)famous markl mod on them?

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by reorx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i find it outrageously ironic that there are "no retailers in Ireland who cater for serious headphone users" when my HD 650's (and everyone else's I assume) are MADE IN IRELAND.

Oh, and going for the d7000, have you considered foing the (in)famous markl mod on them?

Crazy, isn't it? There's a couple of high-end hi-fi retailers, such as Cloney Audio in Dublin where I picked up my Digital Link 3, and they provide an incredible service for fans of high-end audio... so long as you don't mention headphones.
confused_face_2.gif

UPDATE: I have upgraded my Rudistor NX-03 to a Rudistor RPX-33! The NX-03 was a fab amp, but I felt it wasn't 100% doing justice to either the Digital Link 3 or the D7000. The best way I can describe it is to say that I was hearing a very careful reproduction of my recordings. Everything was there, as it was supposed to be, but it lacked that sparkle of excitement I love. Part of the problem was that the NX-03 ever so slightly rolls off the very top end of treble. A lot of people prefer this, but it's not for me. A little more research pointed to to the RPX-33, so I contacted RudiStor and they agreed to upgrade.
I've been listening to music with the RPX-33 for a few weeks now, and I can tell you that it is a phenomenal match for the D7000 and the Digital Link 3. I am listening to music that literally fizzes with a kind of live excitement. Instruments and vocalists seem to, I don't know, just exist as solid three dimensional entities around my head. Bass is beautiful, so much so that it creates the illusion you are feeling it in your stomach, as you would listening through quality speakers... but crucially, only when the music demands it. You can feel vocalists breath in your ears, and hear nuances you never heard before, and treble is best described as pure. It goes all the way to the top, but with grace and beauty. No shrillness, no excessive brightness.

The Digital Link 3>RPX-33>D7000 combination is the closest thing to perfection I have ever heard. Am I going to upgrade/mod? Hmmm... not yet, for two reasons. First, I am seriously, seriously broke, and Mrs Holyharry is talking about a vacation to France. Secondly, well... if it ain't broke, don't fix it is the way I feel now. I'm so happy with what I have I just want to savour it and enjoy it. Will that feeling last? Probably not. You know how it is. If it did happen I guess I would probably do it in stages: starting with better power cables, then mod the Digital Link 3, then the headphones.

Happy days!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back