Building a high-quality CD transport/player: take two
May 6, 2004 at 1:27 PM Post #31 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by was ist los?
jefemeister, what does one really need to get the CD-Pro2 and CDM-12 running?
I know for the CD-Pro2, i'd need a PS and chassis.
For the CDM-12, a chassis.
Would both run just like that?
BTW, any more recommendations for high quality dacs that can use I2S?

I've never worked with either of those drives. My experience is in the VAE1250 drive. That one required a power supply, a display, DAC, and a lot of code. I also built a little interface board to buffer the data off the drive. Strohmie has said that Philips have modules that will make the code much easier to develop. You also have to make sure that your power supply is sufficiently large to start up the mech's motor. I think it has to be able to supply 1.5A continuous. The DAC interface is straight forward. Just connect their data out line up to the input of a receiver chip (I used Crystal CS8414) and you're done. That's why I've suggested making the player in 2 parts: first the DAC and then the Transport. The CDPro2 is a good choice as far as chassis design because you don't need to figure out the door opening/closing. As far as DACs, I really like the 1704. A lot of people are really into the Analog Devices parts, but my expereince with them is limited.

May 6, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #32 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
Strohmie has said that Philips have modules that will make the code much easier to develop.

Again, I wasn't clear about this before -- there are DIYers who have built fully working control interfaces for the CD-Pro2, but I don't know if Philips themselves ever released anything of the sort. So my original statement should have been that there are modules built *by DIYers* that make it easier to work with the CD-Pro2.

May 6, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #33 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
Again, I wasn't clear about this before -- there are DIYers who have built fully working control interfaces for the CD-Pro2, but I don't know if Philips themselves ever released anything of the sort. So my original statement should have been that there are modules built *by DIYers* that make it easier to work with the CD-Pro2.

my mistake. You had said that earlier but I forgot. It does seem kind of strange that Philips wouldn't have one of their own though.

May 7, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #34 of 72
General update -- I have had no luck contacting Nico Theveissen, the owner of the Homeoptics site that has packages for the CD-Pro2M. However, I have been pointed to a domestic site called Enco Systems which has CD-Pro2 transports at $275 each plus shipping (and free shipping for ordering two or more). This is *only* the transport though, no associated materials.

This is far easier than working with Nico considering that you have to wire him money, have everything shipped to you for over $100 by UPS, and have UPS probably charge exactly the same amount in customs fees. The down side is that the control module won't come with it this time.

http://www.enco-group.com/index.htm

I'm going to order this middle of next week so that it gets there as soon as I get back east. I'll report any positive/negative experience I have with them.

May 7, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #35 of 72
Off-thread parenthesis open (
Jefemeister and Strohmie, you two have two of the most intriguing avatars I find in Headfi. Could you explain what your avatars are? They seem to be zoom-in snapshots of some famous paintings, something like that, but I can't really tell and have no idea where those images come from
) Off-thread parenthesis closed.

May 7, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #36 of 72
biggrin.gif

My offhand guess of jefemeister's is a caricature of Walt Disney...

Meanwhile mine is by Ashley Wood, who does some pretty weird artwork. He has this series of pieces called PopBot, and this one is just one of those. www.ashleywood.com

May 7, 2004 at 11:55 PM Post #37 of 72
Wow Enco looks like a great alternative!!! Thanks a bunch.
What does the CD-Pro2 from Enco require? The buttons, PSU, display?
It also appears Enco has SACD products. Does this mean drives?

May 8, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #38 of 72
Unfortunately Enco sells the drive *only*, which means that we have to take care of the PSU, display, power supply, and worst of all, the control module. This is what jefemeister was talking about earlier in the thread -- there is one included with some of the Homeoptics packages, and I believe one is included with the CDM12 from Steinmusic, but one isn't available from Enco. There's one guy on diyaudio.com who is making one, so I might e-mail him and see if he has any extra prototypes he can spare. ^_^

May 8, 2004 at 12:27 AM Post #40 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by nleahcim
Not to go off topic - but I noticed you're from Urbana? So I'm assuming you're at UIUC? I'm a freshman in EE at UIUC - just thought I'd say hi
eggosmile.gif

Ah, nicetameecha. Yea, I'm a first year grad over here, and for whatever reason I'm giving myself an EE project this summer in this transport without actually getting any form of credit for it other than the satisfaction of having built it. Yea, that spells EE geek all the way. ^_^

May 8, 2004 at 4:10 AM Post #41 of 72
hopefully you can still dig up a control module somewhere. My avatar is a still from the animated "Triplets of Belleville." The little guy is a mob boss that goes to Disneyland and winds up with a button saying "Sucker" pinned on him. That's not representative of the film's plot though.

May 8, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #43 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by was ist los?
Just checked out BrianGT's site for his progress on a CD-Pro2 based CD player. It appears he is offering a kit or complete cd player in the future. Looks very affordable: http://www.ece.gatech.edu/academic/c.../marketing.htm
That's just the pricing page. He has more info on the componets of the player.

I'll be interested to see if he actually offers that as a package or whether that stays as just a group project for a class. I know he's working on the control module, at the very least.

May 11, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #45 of 72
Another quick update -- the standalone CD-Pro2 module has been ordered from Enco Group, so I'll post again when it arrives. I may get in touch with that guy at diyaudio to see if he'd be willing to sell me one of his work-in-progress control modules, else I'll have to start building one myself ( jefemeister, I'm looking your way
tongue.gif
)

Momentarily the first DAC I'll build will be made out of a TDA1541A in non-oversampling configuration designed to accept I2S signal input...basically a simple, relatively inexpensive Scott Nixon-esque design to cut my teeth on. Then I'll probably move onto a more complex PCM1704 or 1794 implementation (more likely the latter to take advantage of I2S).

The reason behind using I2S is the much reduced jitter in its output as compared to spdif, if I hadn't mentioned that previously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back