Building a high-quality CD transport/player: take two
May 5, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #16 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Nono - the optical output on the rear of the chassis is to allow the use of other DAC's just for comparison.

I am really hitting for a fully functional single cohesive unit in which each part can be used separately AND independent of each other. This will be awesome to have at HeadFi meets and when you want to check out how other DAC's, Sources and Amps compare with what you have...

Ah, okay. That makes much more sense. ^_^

Yea, that would be very interesting to have available. It could do a Head-Fi tour and allow everyone the opportunity to do comparisons...if we really go all out and make sure everything's isolated, with separate power supplies and separate in's and out's, I get the feeling it'll just have to be called "The Big Mutha."
icon10.gif

May 5, 2004 at 12:51 AM Post #17 of 72
May 5, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #18 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I was doing a little surfing and found the following...

http://www.daisy-laser.nl/homeoptics/
http://www.geocities.com/agalavotti/cdpro.htm
http://www.geocities.com/agalavotti/zerodac.htm

The first site you listed is the one I'm going to buy the CD-Pro2 transport from. I haven't fully looked over the second and third sites, but I've been there before, so I need to look over everything they have. I may use the power supply stuff they have, but we'll see -- there are hundreds of regulated power supply circuits.

May 5, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #19 of 72
I too am planning on a cd player based on the CD-Pro2M or the CDM-12. The CDM-12 is roughly half the price of the CD-Pro2M and their parts are interchangeable. I am going to make my dac based on the TDA1543.

May 5, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #20 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by was ist los?
I too am planning on a cd player based on the CD-Pro2M or the CDM-12. The CDM-12 is roughly half the price of the CD-Pro2M and their parts are interchangeable. I am going to make my dac based on the TDA1543.

Ah good, another victim. Where aer you buying the CDM12 from? I just sent an e-mail out to try to purchase the CD-Pro2M but I might also buy a CDM12 for comparison's sake.

May 5, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #22 of 72
Okay, that was where I was thinking about buying it from. Haven't gotten in touch with them yet, I'll probably try to get the CD-Pro first and see if I have any money left. ^_^

If you do successfully order from them, let us know.
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2004 at 5:43 AM Post #23 of 72
Well i'm still a bit scheptical about ordering overseas, especially Steinmusic since they have not updated their English site for a while. Even their prices are partially still in Deutsch Marks!
BTW, Partsconnexions states in their pXC Audio section of the site of its plans for source components. i went ahead and emailed them about it a few weeks ago asking whether it was cd drives and the like. They refused to disclosed information and referred me to look at the newsletter and wait for updates.

May 5, 2004 at 6:00 AM Post #24 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by was ist los?
Well i'm still a bit scheptical about ordering overseas, especially Steinmusic since they have not updated their English site for a while. Even their prices are partially still in Deutsch Marks!
BTW, Partsconnexions states in their pXC Audio section of the site of its plans for source components. i went ahead and emailed them about it a few weeks ago asking whether it was cd drives and the like. They refused to disclosed information and referred me to look at the newsletter and wait for updates.

I might end up buying some of my supplies from partsconnexions once I get settled. Meanwhile, I can understand your reservations about Steinmusic. Also, they mention that they generally COD their products, and you obviously can't do that from Germany to the US. I know people who have bought from the http://www.daisy-laser.nl/homeoptics/ site and have had good experiences. The only problem with that is the site owner insists on shipping UPS overseas, which is a guaranteed way to get customs charges. When I hear back from him about my purchase I'll post relevant info here.

May 5, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #25 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
My budget, before amplifier considerations, is about $800.

That will make for a very affordable high-end CD player. I guess it will have to be eventually added somewhere in the lists of Headfi's recommended digital sources.

May 6, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #26 of 72
I'm fully aware of the Daisy site.
I emailed Steinmusic a while back. I asked how payment would be made and how much it would cost for the drive and shipping to the U.S. They said $249 shipped and payment to be made by credit card. They recommended sending the credit card info in seperate emails.
How and where do you plan on getting your chassis made? I imagine if i used the CDM-12, i could just use a par-metals chassis and ge the front panels done at Front Panels Express. I think the CD-Pro2 would be a little harder for the chassis if you want a lid, but i suppose you can just get the top, front, and back panels all done from FPE.
Will you be using the direct I2S signal for your dac? I'm sort of wanting to use a PCM1704 too since it's 24/96 and since I'm building a high end transport/cdp, might as well spring for a better dac. Any recommendations on circuits?

May 6, 2004 at 1:02 AM Post #27 of 72
$249 shipped is a pretty good price -- the CD-Pro2 and accessories from Daisy will be twice that. For that matter, I haven't actually heard back from the owner of that site...so we'll have to see.

As for the metalwork, I haven't decided what I'm going to do as of yet. I have had some experience with metalwork so I may do it myself. I'm planning on creating the player first and then decide how I want to design the chassis around it...it'll just sit precariously atop my desk for a while. ^_^ Front Panel Express is a pretty good option though.

I want to build one DAC based on the PCM1704 (multiple chips, probably), and one non-oversampling with the TDA1541 -- most likely I'll use I2S either way (I'm pretty sure the 1704 accepts I2S input, but not positive). I don't have a particular circuit in mind, but there have been plenty of threads on diyaudio and other sites with circuit designs. I know that some high end players use two PCM1704s per channel -- Burr Brown at one point sold a DAC circuit for about $850 using this design which had balanced and unbalanced outputs. I'm sure it can be built for less than half that. Meanwhile, a Scott Nixon-esque circuit would probably cost less than $100 to make.

May 6, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #28 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
I want to build one DAC based on the PCM1704 (multiple chips, probably), and one non-oversampling with the TDA1541 -- most likely I'll use I2S either way (I'm pretty sure the 1704 accepts I2S input, but not positive). I don't have a particular circuit in mind, but there have been plenty of threads on diyaudio and other sites with circuit designs. I know that some high end players use two PCM1704s per channel -- Burr Brown at one point sold a DAC circuit for about $850 using this design which had balanced and unbalanced outputs. I'm sure it can be built for less than half that. Meanwhile, a Scott Nixon-esque circuit would probably cost less than $100 to make.

The PCM1704 does not have I2S. It's a 3 wire interface: data, bit clock, and word clock. The PCM1794 does though. The main advantage of the 1704, other than sounding great, is that it accepts by far the highest sample rate: 768kHz. The 1794 is newer. It can handle only up to 192kHz. I haven't heard one yet, but it is stereo and puts up better numbers than the 1704 whatever that's worth. The 1794 also seems to provide the inverted phase outputs for both channels which is nice if you want to go balanced. Both chips need additional I/V. Both can also be used in non-upsampling and up/over-sampling modes. Check out the reference designs towards the ends of the 2 datasheets for example schematics.

May 6, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #29 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
The PCM1704 does not have I2S. It's a 3 wire interface: data, bit clock, and word clock. The PCM1794 does though. The main advantage of the 1704, other than sounding great, is that it accepts by far the highest sample rate: 768kHz. The 1794 is newer. It can handle only up to 192kHz. I haven't heard one yet, but it is stereo and puts up better numbers than the 1704 whatever that's worth. The 1794 also seems to provide the inverted phase outputs for both channels which is nice if you want to go balanced. Both chips need additional I/V. Both can also be used in non-upsampling and up/over-sampling modes. Check out the reference designs towards the ends of the 2 datasheets for example schematics.

I knew you'd come in handy.
biggrin.gif

Thanks much for the info -- now I'm curious to try out the PCM1794 and see how it works, especially if it can handle I2S. The 1704 is certainly a well-established and great-sounding chip though, so it might be a better one to start with (and I certainly would be happy with the sound if I design the DAC well). I'll have to look around and see if I can dig up info on any DACs that have been built with the 1794 in mind.

Ah, so much to consider.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #30 of 72
jefemeister, what does one really need to get the CD-Pro2 and CDM-12 running?
I know for the CD-Pro2, i'd need a PS and chassis.
For the CDM-12, a chassis.
Would both run just like that?
BTW, any more recommendations for high quality dacs that can use I2S?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back