Building a computer (+ pics of yours)
Sep 11, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #16 of 27

Quote:
ohhhhhhh yea, check out my sexy beast

pcdirt.jpg

hot isn't it? i know you guys are totally jelly right now.

Wow crazy amounts of dust

My 6 year PC didn't have as much

Sep 11, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #17 of 27
why you guys sooooooo serious? lol,i was joking of course,GOSH. people around here need to loosen up.

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #19 of 27
Sep 13, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #20 of 27
Oct 10, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #21 of 27
I've always wanted to use that transparent case just for the lulz, maybe a build that i give away (I build spare PCs and give them to charity) with a bunch of LEDs, imagine some kids trying to do their homework or whatever "srs biznez" and you have that thing right there.

There are some funny pics out there of PCs that people said "stopped working" or maybe still work and they are held together with duct tape and who knows what else. Mine hasn't been dusted in like a year, i haven't finished sleeving the cabling and i want to overhaul it in the near future but sure i'll take a pic, just a sec.

She aint no beauty queen, but she works and "crunches"
TC i haven't bothered keeping up with this stuff in a while, not sure if you can find another combo or if you would be willing to just order things individually.

Looking at that build the PSU and Mobo would be fine with cheaper options and the video card needs to be upgraded if you want to play games. $100 is what i usually spend on a board, or even $50 if you are ok with micro-ATX, get one with on-board video and you can hold that until you have the cash to get a better GPU.
FSP make decent PSUs for about $50 as well. The brands you want would be Corsair, Seasonic, enermax, silverstone, ocz, antec and a few others.
Case is a matter of preference, but i know i aint dropping $200 on a board esp. not an Asus board. I'm sure they are a decent brand, but i have heard my share of horror stories from them and their customer support when things don't work correctly.

I would get a modular PSU to tidy up the cabling inside the case. Can't tell from the pics but i would also get a case where the PSU is mounted on the bottom for better airflow.
Grab long SATA cables for your drives so you can run them behind the motherboard or tray to make it look cleaner.
Stock fans come with thermal paste pre-applied but it wouldn't hurt to grab a cheap tube of arctic silver 5 or whatever is good now days.
Look out for a video card that comes with a mail-in rebate or a video game, they're all pretty much the same.
Hard Drives, pick the biggest cache and size in the $80 range. Pick up two and put them RAID 1 in case one fails or put it in an external enclosure for $20 and back-up your stuff. There is even RAID 5 with 3 HDD.

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #23 of 27

Quote:
Building computers is fun and a good way to save money! Here is one I built last year for a client.

I can tell that you're good a cord management. I tip my hat to you sir!

I'm actually in the process of repairing my aunt's computer; the OS is all sorts of messed up and I think I might need to replace some faulty RAM...

I'll post pics of my PC tomorrow. I'm rather proud of it
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #24 of 27
I can tell that you're good a cord management. I tip my hat to you sir!

I'm actually in the process of repairing my aunt's computer; the OS is all sorts of messed up and I think I might need to replace some faulty RAM...

I'll post pics of my PC tomorrow. I'm rather proud of it
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Looking forward to seeing the pics. Yeah the OS's seem to get messed up when people don't take care of them I've seen machines that surprised me that the booted at all. Hah I had a windows 3.1 machine and an even older commodore computer that I found in someones trash that actually booted and worked. Why is it that the hard drive that's almost 20 years old works and the one that's 4 years old seems to brake now days? haha.

I can't tell if your being sarcastic about the wiring though, I think its pretty darn sloppy myself, but I'm somewhat of a perfectionist. The problem is though unless you spend a ton on a power supply you can't a modular one. The modular ones are great! Only run the wires you need and then twisty them together so that they are out of the way. That's how I prefer to do it. This was a cheaper machine I think I paid a total of $500 for the parts and it had a i3 CPU 4GBs ram a 1tb hdd and a 9800gt video card. Of course that was last year.

I'm thinking of building one for my brother. I just pieced together a build with the following that cost about $800 (not counting OS)

i5 quad core CPU
USB 3.0, 6GBs sata MOBO
16GBs ddr 3 ram
and a ATI HD6950 (unlocked to 6970 performance)

which would be great for gaming and it would only cost $800 prices sure have come down. A tip for those that don't know; with this exact graphics card (the HD 6950) its physically identical to the HD6970 that cost almost a $100 more. What they did was take the same card and lock off part of it to make it slower and sell it for less as a lower end version. It actually cost them less to lock off the higher end version and market it as a lower end version then to start a whole new production line. What this means is that with a special hack you can re unlock the other parts of the card and get the same speeds as the higher end version basically letting have the same higher end version for a $100 less making it a huge bargain! Plus this card can be had for about $240 if you shop around and it will easily compare to the more expensive ATI cards as well as the Nvidia GTX 560.

Oct 13, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #27 of 27
well if you want to build a computer all you need is 

cpu
motherboard
ram
HDD or SSD drive
graphic card
power supply
case
tool kit

right now best bang for your buck would be to go with a I5 2600 intel CPU with a good Z68 motherboard

6G of ram 2x3 with low voltages and a low Cas at 1800mhz from a good brand

Take a caviar black drive if you don't want to spend a lot on storage OR take an OCZ vertex SSD as a boot drive and a 1TB drive as storage

take a 6950 or 560ti or 570 gfx if you don't want to spend a whole lot on graphics OR get a 6990 or 580gtx

A good psu of 750-850 watts Corsair ftw 

A good computer case you like with good ventilation

comple of screwdriver ( with a metal end and not a magnetic one ) and anti-static wrist strap and you're good to go .

that's my computer in the pic :) I love it .
spec are 
amd thuban phIIx6 1090T at 4ghz
8G zingston hyperx ram at 1566mhz cas9 (ish I know it's bad )
2x AMD radeon 6950 oced ( will maybe unlock them to full 6990.
Gigabyte 990fxa-UD7 motherboard for AM3 platform
750watt corsair TX psu
1 OCZ vertex 2 60Gb ssd 1 caviar black 500Gb and caviar greend 1Tb drives
corsair H70 cpu cooler
and a nice big HAF X computer case because the mobo isn't a standard one and need 10slots in the back :) for 4way sli or 4way crossfire card :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back