Build Quality issue with HD650
Jan 6, 2009 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Sutton

New Head-Fier
Just a few days after getting them they have developed a really annoying squeaky hinge on the right hand side driver, Every time I turned my head left/right it would squeak completely wrecking the quiet parts of my music and can still be heard over even AC/DC at high volumes...
frown.gif

I'm totally gutted that I'm going to have to send them back, especially after taking all that time to burn them in nicely with Pink noise!
frown.gif

I was pretty shocked that this happened to top of the line Sennheisers, which I thought would have bullet proof build quality at that price.

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a few days after getting them they have developed a really annoying squeaky hinge on the right hand side driver, Every time I turned my head left/right it would squeak completely wrecking the quiet parts of my music and can still be heard over even AC/DC at high volumes...
frown.gif

I'm totally gutted that I'm going to have to send them back, especially after taking all that time to burn them in nicely with Pink noise!
frown.gif

I was pretty shocked that this happened to top of the line Sennheisers, which I thought would have bullet proof build quality at that price.

I had this happen with the vertical axis, where the headphone meets the C-shaped bracket. I stuffed a bit of folded paper on top of the earcup so the driver could no longer move vertically. After a few weeks, I took it out and the creaking was gone I think it would be nice if you could lock the rotation. Get it snug on your head, then keep it from moving so it feels like one solid piece.

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry you got the shorthand of the stick, but hear those 650s are built like a tank- so I'm sure this is not a frequent thing.

they're not 'built like a tank'. I've built a whole 650 pair up from parts and know what the build quality is like.

its identical to the other ones, 580 up thru 600. the sales hype about this being 'worth the price' are not due to build quality.

build is ok but its not THAT good. lets be serious.

mine has squeak as you turn, also. its plastic against plastic. this isn't a rolls royce, folks, even though its sort of priced as one.

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they're not 'built like a tank'. I've built a whole 650 pair up from parts and know what the build quality is like.

its identical to the other ones, 580 up thru 600. the sales hype about this being 'worth the price' are not due to build quality.

build is ok but its not THAT good. lets be serious.

mine has squeak as you turn, also. its plastic against plastic. this isn't a rolls royce, folks, even though its sort of priced as one.

If you've built them up from parts, I'll have to take your word for it.

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 12
My HD 650 squeaked for a week, just part of the burn-in phase, now not a murmur.

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you've built them up from parts, I'll have to take your word for it.

seriously, I did:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/pro...w-pics-390615/

I first modestly started out modding my 'old' 580's.

then I said 'what the hell, go find out what all the fuss is about' - so I went and got ALL the parts for the 650. a full from-scratch build.

it can be built by a child (lol) - its NOT hard. its also not using any 'better' parts (imho!) than the 580 or 600.

the fact that they charge so much for it - THAT's what offends me. I consider myself a slight insider since I know the cost of the parts (even though I'm just a customer) and how it all goes together.

as an engineer (software) I do think the design is great. but having heard the 580 and the 650, I CANNOT condone sennheiser's blatant money-grab by preying on those that think they are getting a rolls royce.

I hate marketing and this just plain stinks.

the phones should be priced identically to the 600. they are no more power hungry, stronger, etc etc - just DIFFERENT. not better, not worse, just sideways different.

worth the premium? no!

sorry, but I am just calling it as I see it.

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seriously, I did:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/pro...w-pics-390615/

I first modestly started out modding my 'old' 580's.

then I said 'what the hell, go find out what all the fuss is about' - so I went and got ALL the parts for the 650. a full from-scratch build.

it can be built by a child (lol) - its NOT hard. its also not using any 'better' parts (imho!) than the 580 or 600.

the fact that they charge so much for it - THAT's what offends me. I consider myself a slight insider since I know the cost of the parts (even though I'm just a customer) and how it all goes together.

as an engineer (software) I do think the design is great. but having heard the 580 and the 650, I CANNOT condone sennheiser's blatant money-grab by preying on those that think they are getting a rolls royce.

I hate marketing and this just plain stinks.

the phones should be priced identically to the 600. they are no more power hungry, stronger, etc etc - just DIFFERENT. not better, not worse, just sideways different.

worth the premium? no!

sorry, but I am just calling it as I see it.

No, no, no... that was great info! Thanks!

Jan 8, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #9 of 12
I have the HD650 and the HD580. The 650 is MUCH more solid. Maybe I just got a dud 580.

Jan 8, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #10 of 12
just drop a small amount of fine oil in the offending hing rather than returning them.

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #11 of 12
I had the same problem and I took them off on ocassion and worked the earcup back and fourth 5-10 times. After doing this for about 2 weeks it is gone. Same with the clamping force, I carefully streched the cups apart a few times before putting them on, same thing, about 2 weeks later they fit perfect.

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #12 of 12
My 650's squeeked when I had them. I lubed them with silicone lubricant and that stopped the noise.

But yeah, the 650's are hardly built like a tank, IMO. It is mostly plastic. Also, it is common for the paint on the underside of the headband (near the middle) to crack/flake off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back