Buffet Etiquette
Jul 16, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #16 of 36
Use a new plate for each return trip.

Use the provided tongs and spoons.

The most expensive foods are deliberately put at the end of the buffet line. That's to encourage you to fill your plate with other things before reaching it. To maximize your value, don't take anything until you get to the end.

Frequently, buffet food is heavily salted and drinks are kept scarce. This is to keep you from eating too much.

And you should tip if they bring you anything.

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well for a co-worker of mine who visited a nudist colony over the weekend for that Guinness skinny dipping record, you have to at least wear shorts at the buffet for hygienic purposes
wink.gif

So I guess that would be no tip.

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #20 of 36
lol. i like the direction krmathis went.

If what I want is at the end of the buffet and there are a bunch of people taking their damned time up at the beginning is it considered rude to pass them and go for what I want?

Yes I try not to pile too much onto my plate when at a buffet - i dont want to look like a fat slob! (even if i am one). And if i put a ton on my plate i tend to eat faster and get fuller on less food. So i try to pace myself to do maximum damage to the dining establishment.

and i always always tip. and if it is a place i go to regularly i try to tip over 20% every time so that they will always seat me quickly and want to give me the best service they can.

Jul 17, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #21 of 36
"Maximum damage." i grabbed a take out menu from a Chinese joint and they got me hype for the lunch buffet. I want thirtyfive eggrolls and a bottle of soy sauce as I type this.

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #22 of 36
Yeah, tipping is important.
Unless the waiter do not earn it, by giving your crappy service.

Jul 19, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #24 of 36
"I´ve seen things you people wouldn´t believe..." at buffets. People will pick up things with their fingers and put them back. Happens all the time mmmmm. We generally do not tip in Denmark, but it happens that I do anyway. Their wages are regulated here and nothing like North America, so they dont rely on tips to make a living. This often translates in lack of service unfortunately.

Jul 19, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #25 of 36
I tip at buffets, but what about all-you-can eat places like Peter Piper Pizza or Pizza Hut where you really do serve yourself to pizza, salads and drinks? I don't remember tipping at those places, I wonder if I should now.

Jul 20, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #26 of 36
It appears I've been committing "Buffet Faux Pas" for many years.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I will henceforth eat like a human...and also leave a tip.

Oct 3, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #29 of 36
Here in America, I leave a dollar tip.

One time, I had a bad experiences and had a fight with a manager at a Chinese buffet and left a penny tip.
lol when I went to the states my uncle and aunt in California like to leave 5-10 % tip of the meal.

In thailand tip are only required at nice restaurant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back