buffer temperature on PPA
Jan 18, 2005 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

steinchen

100+ Head-Fier
tangent wrote on the PPA assembly guide: "... Then, touch the tops of the chips to see if they are getting warm. The buffers will get a bit warm to the touch, but they shouldn't be hot. The op-amps should be cool."

The buffers on my PPA get that warm (or may I say hot) that I can bare the touch only for a couple of seconds. The OpAmps stay cool, all voltages are perfect as far as I can see, the amp is working fine and sound is GREAT.

What could be the reason for the buffers are getting that warm/hot ? Voltage is fine on all buffers (24V - 0.6V that drop on the protection diode = 23.4 V). I'm using opa633kp buffers since the Intersil buffers are very difficult to get in Europe :/

Jan 19, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by steinchen
I'm using opa633kp buffers since the Intersil buffers are very difficult to get in Europe :/

http://de.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSear...=gensearch&y=9

To my ear, the HA 5002 buffer sounds way nicer than the buff 634.....

Setmenu

Jan 19, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 20
I already thought about installing heat sinks but wanted to be sure that I didn't made a mistake while assembling the amp. The buffers run that hot that I definately will install heat sinks (and maybe some ventilation holes into the enclosure
rolleyes.gif
)

tnx for the info
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by setmenu
http://de.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSear...=gensearch&y=9
To my ear, the HA 5002 buffer sounds way nicer than the buff 634.....
Setmenu

I tried to order them via Newark/Farnell Germany but they changed their terms and conditions of business and only sell to business partners and students *lol* and declined my order
frown.gif
The only source seems to be Farnell in the U.S. with quite high shipping costs. So I decided to take the opa633 buffers ...

...but I don't mind, even with opa633 buffers the PPA sounds great and I will build a second PPA with diamond buffers or the new v2 Version anyway

Jan 19, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

The buffers on my PPA get that warm (or may I say hot) that I can bare the touch only for a couple of seconds. /

I have the same issue on my PPA. I then tried the Intersils and they do not get hot at all
confused.gif
. I have some heatsinks coming because I think I like the BB buffers better.

Jan 19, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 20
The amount of heat is directly related to the power being dissipated by the device. With the OPA533, its quiescent current is 21mA, which is about 2.5x that of the HA5002. If you are running a 24V power supply then each OPA533 will be dissipating 500mW compared to 200mW for the HA5002. And this is at idle. If you run a lo-Z load and play your music loud, then the current goes up and the temperature will rise.

Jan 19, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 20
Of the buffers I've used in my PPA, the 5002s ran the coolest with the 633s the hottest by far. The 5033s and the Diamond Buffer's transistors get pretty warm - more than the 5002s ever did but not like the 633s. I think you're fine, but I do agree with suggestions to heat sink it. I never heatsinked mine, but never used them for too long before going to the 5002s and eventually the Diamonds. Congrats on the build
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 20
In addition to what amb said, the 633s have a higher bandwidth than the 5002s, so there's a greater possibility of oscillation. You really need C3 installed with 633s.

Jan 19, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 20
I installed all caps before the first run, to me it's a "won't hurt may help" thing

I installed large heatsinks onto the buffers (20x20x20mm sink for graphics card BGA RAM chips) and even those are getting really hot
frown.gif
If I knew that before I had ordered the Intersil buffers ...

PPA with heatsinks on buffers

opa633 aren't buffers, they're little cogeneration plants :/

Jan 20, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

I installed large heatsinks onto the buffers (20x20x20mm sink for graphics card BGA RAM chips) and even those are getting really hot
frown.gif
If I knew that before I had ordered the Intersil buffers ...
PPA with heatsinks on buffers
opa633 aren't buffers, they're little cogeneration plants :/

Looks pretty cool (pun intended)!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 8:00 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juergen
How did you attach them?

they had preinstalled adhesive pads, just had to pull off the protection foil and press the sink for a couple of seconds onto the chips

Jan 20, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #15 of 20
Would you happen to know that amp's quiescent current?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back