Buffer instead of amp for low impedance headphones
Oct 8, 2003 at 7:39 AM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by zzz
probably something like that. bias points were pulled out of the hat.

What's the value of the resistor on the right? Or maybe that's the headphone load?

So this should work, but might not sound very good? Or will I have to experiment with resistor/cap values and psu voltages to get this working properly?

Maybe somebody has a schematic for an alternative tubed (or hybrid) buffer that will perform better? At the moment I have promising alternatives with ICs and discrete components. Something with tubes should be fun, too.
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2003 at 7:59 AM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Jupiter
What's the value of the resistor on the right? Or maybe that's the headphone load?

So this should work, but might not sound very good? Or will I have to experiment with resistor/cap values and psu voltages to get this working properly?

Maybe somebody has a schematic for an alternative tubed (or hybrid) buffer that will perform better? At the moment I have promising alternatives with ICs and discrete components. Something with tubes should be fun, too.
biggrin.gif

resistor on the right should be 1M or something. the circuit will work. spice tells me that distortion content consists mostly of odd-harmonics (as high as -25db at 1khz), so eh.

as for various solid state, tube, and hybrid buffers, look here.

Oct 14, 2003 at 7:04 AM Post #34 of 35
zzz, thanks for the link
biggrin.gif

I've been looking at this circuit (from zzz's link):
attachment.php

Anyone know if this buffer has any potential? If it does, I'll build it with quality parts. If not, I'll build a cheap one. (Just to get some experience with tubes.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back