Buffer instead of amp for low impedance headphones
Oct 6, 2003 at 7:34 AM Post #17 of 35
Yes, looks like another project I have to try. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2003 at 1:22 AM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by 00940
btw, the BUF03 is discontinued but you can replace it by a BUF04.

Anyone know which of these buffers sound better, in case I find a few BUF03?

Oct 7, 2003 at 1:34 AM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Jupiter
Anyone know which of these buffers sound better, in case I find a few BUF03?

You're the only one who can provide any meaningful answer to that question. Give 'em both a try and decide for yourself.

se

Oct 7, 2003 at 1:48 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

You're right, but the BUF03 will probably be $20 each.
frown.gif
That's a waste of many if it sounds the same as BUF04 ($7.50 each).

Sure. But of course you won't really know until you've tried 'em. I think Joseph Heller wrote a novel about that.
biggrin.gif

se

Oct 7, 2003 at 11:04 AM Post #25 of 35
I had design a very simple hybird buffer. It is very simple. A 6BQ5 Cathode follower direct coupling to a IRFP150 and capacitor coupling to 32 Ohm Headphone. It is simple , low cost and sound good for Low impedance Cans. It can drive high impedance Cans if you connect it to pre-amps output.

Oct 7, 2003 at 11:29 AM Post #26 of 35
buf04 has been obsoleted by analog.

Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Lau
I had design a very simple hybird buffer. It is very simple. A 6BQ5 Cathode follower direct coupling to a IRFP150 and capacitor coupling to 32 Ohm Headphone. It is simple , low cost and sound good for Low impedance Cans. It can drive high impedance Cans if you connect it to pre-amps output.

interesting choice of components. even if you manage to rig 6bq5 to run at its peak current of 65ma at all times with a ccs or something, the maximum theoretically achievable slew rate of that circuit is going to be under 23v/us (3kv/us for the discontinued buf04 and 1.3kv/us for the intersil ha-5002). I'd expect imd of that hybrid buffer to be quite up there.

Oct 8, 2003 at 12:15 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Lau

Do you have a schematic or a link? (I'm sure it's simple, but I don't know how to build the circuit you're describing.)

Quote:

Originally posted by zzz
buf04 has been obsoleted by analog.

Thanks for tip. Luckily, Newark has a few of these in stock.

Oct 8, 2003 at 12:38 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

interesting choice of components. even if you manage to rig 6bq5 to run at its peak current of 65ma at all times with a ccs or something, the maximum theoretically achievable slew rate of that circuit is going to be under 23v/us (3kv/us for the discontinued buf04 and 1.3kv/us for the intersil ha-5002). I'd expect imd of that hybrid buffer to be quite up there.

slew rate is not a problem as long as the preceeding stage does not exeed the final stage,that is where you can run into problems.

fast in slow out is a disaster

The final stage must have the most speed

and jeez guys , how much slew rate do you think is really needed anyway ?

A kazillion volts per microsecond sounds good but is it needed ?

No.

how many tube amps are slow on paper but yet sound exeedingly fast in real life ?

and let us also remember how important layout becomes at these extreme speeds - almost fast enough to require an FCC liscence
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 8, 2003 at 2:04 AM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
slew rate is not a problem as long as the preceeding stage does not exeed the final stage,that is where you can run into problems.

fast in slow out is a disaster

The final stage must have the most speed

and jeez guys , how much slew rate do you think is really needed anyway ?

A kazillion volts per microsecond sounds good but is it needed ?

No.

how many tube amps are slow on paper but yet sound exeedingly fast in real life ?

well, there's slow and there's VERY slow. in real conditions you won't run el84 at higher at 15-20ma anyway, and probably won't use anything but a cathode resistor to bias it. that would give the circuit non-symmetrical slew rate on the scale of 1v/us or something like that (typical input capacitance of that mosfet is 2.8nf). and yeah, it certainly isn't all about speed, it was just the easiest thing to pick on. the hexfet in question is a 41A beast, you'll need to bias it at a couple of amps to get acceptable linearity (just look at its transfer curves). then the output cap.

I'm not bashing the approach (though I'm not in favor of slapping parts together in a `just because you can` fashion). I really only meant what I said -- curious choice of components.
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
and let us also remember how important layout becomes at these extreme speeds - almost fast enough to require an FCC liscence
very_evil_smiley.gif

heh, only if your amp oscillates. always obey the datasheets
wink.gif

Quote:

Do you have a schematic or a link? (I'm sure it's simple, but I don't know how to build the circuit you're describing.)

probably something like that. bias points were pulled out of the hat.

Oct 8, 2003 at 5:04 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

I'm not bashing the approach (though I'm not in favor of slapping parts together in a `just because you can` fashion). I really only meant what I said -- curious choice of components.

I hear that !

back when i was going hybrid on my szekeres amp I tried to just slap a tube gain stage to the front end and it was not as easy as it would seem .

my best results came with an optimized 5687 srpp satge at 15 db gain and running seriously hot !

sounded pretty damn sweet though
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back