BUF634
May 18, 2008 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

RLCrisp

New Head-Fier
I was looking to put together a PIMETA and was wondering if anybody knew of a place that currently has any BUF634s in stock. I had read in some of the replacement buffer threads that some people still had some extras laying around... I would be very grateful if anybody who does could contact me with a price if you are willing to part with them or know a place that still carries them.

Thanks

May 19, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #2 of 11
If you find them they're going to be very expensive. I'm currently waiting on parts for a desktop PIMETA and I'm going to be using the Sijosae discrete buffers that are a drop-in replacement for the BUF634P. So very cheap in comparison, and they should sound at least as good if not better.

May 19, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by peranders /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LME49600 will fit

In what sense does a 5-pin smt to-263 package "fit"?

The lme49600 is probably a real good buffer, but until someone (browndog?) starts selling DIP adapters or people start printing boards that are designed for it, it's not really usable for most DIYers.

I'm surprised nobody has suggested an opa551.

May 19, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In what sense does a 5-pin smt to-263 package "fit"?

The lme49600 is probably a real good buffer, but until someone (browndog?) starts selling DIP adapters or people start printing boards that are designed for it, it's not really usable for most DIYers.

I'm surprised nobody has suggested an opa551.

Per amb, OPA551 not a good choice for a Pimeta...
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4159319-post16.html

At $24 each, I would consider selling some BUF634s
wink.gif

May 19, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 11
Really with the BUF634P so difficult to get ahold of, the best options are:

To use a few LMH6321 buffers (which are better than the 634 in any case) and solder them to the SMD pads underneath the PIMETA board (clip pin 5 first).

Or to build the Sijosae discrete buffers, which is a good option because the total parts cost for three of them is something like five dollars US.

May 22, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #10 of 11
Okay, I've been able to get a hold of an old classmate who's been out of DIY for a couple of years. I've offered to buy his remaining parts for $50. He's a bit of an a-hole but I doubt he'll scam me. I'll see him next week at a farewell party for a mutual friend.

He's got 8 BUF634's in his stash of parts. I'm keeping two. I'll reserve 3 for RLCrisp for $5/each + shipping. The other 3 is reserved for the member who PM'ed a while back. In the PM, I said I might have some in a month, but I deleted your message. If you're reading this send me a PM. For anyone else, sorry that's all he had.

May 22, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or to build the Sijosae discrete buffers, which is a good option because the total parts cost for three of them is something like five dollars US.

Yay, I say.

I built a couple, and for a few I never even had to turn on the soldering gun; you just have to be stingy with clipping your leads until you're sure they can take a hike. Low cost, the same sound (I couldn't hear a difference when I AB-ed them, at least), and it's pretty fancy looking depending on which resistor line you go with. I used 2N5087/2N5088, which has a reverse pinout, because that's all I had on hand from my MAX build. Great breadboard project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back