Budget tube amps worth it?
Sep 26, 2010 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Antony L

100+ Head-Fier
thinking about trying a tube amp and my question is ,is it worth trying the very budget route i.e bravo/indeed ect ,seems the indeed g3 is the best of the bunch with the new mosfet added
or little dot 1+ for a little more?
the main cans used are the hfi780s so not exactly hard to drive just interested in maybe a smoother sound and maybe a slightly bigger soundstage plus the whole tube rolling thing appeals to me.
or should i push the boat out and spend a little more?

Sep 26, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #2 of 10
indeed g2 i meant ,i like the way they listen to the folks on the rg forums i.e by changing that mosfet to the [size=x-small] IRL510 ,anyway if no replies may just try one and see how it goes[/size]

Sep 28, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #3 of 10
ahh thread fail , lol ,never mind i thinking little dot 1+ hybrid and/or an indeed g2 ,as im a cad designer with a water jet i could fix up a full eclosure in copper or something
smile.gif

Sep 30, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #6 of 10
not sure if i would be up to a build although i find electronics fascinating ,going to give those a google

ford2 , honestly i dont know the answer , but your right Cornwall gets a bit mad in the summer

anyway thanks for replies ,was feeling like billy no mates for a while!

Oct 1, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 10
The Indeed G2 is nice for the money, but the I+ is likely better.  I know the MSSH is better from experience.  I'd look for either one of those, used or new.

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #9 of 10
Is a budget tube amp worth it?

Hmmm.......this is a difficult question because there are people out there who are already satisfied with their iPad headphone jacks and like that solid state sound. If that is the case, why would the person buy some budget amp for a different sound even if the tone is smoother?

For my personal taste, I am not crazy about the sonics of the typical headphone out jacks because it tends to reinforce that crispy digital sound that sounds fake. A higher quality external amp, whether it be tube or solid state tends to tame that tin like sound that you may hear with the drums for example. 

However, I still can have fun without a budget amp whether it be tube or solid state or hybrid. But since I already own a budget tube amp and I like the sound better, I use it. Why not? I would rather wear more comfortable shoes than less comfortable shoes.

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
You can great some great DIY tube amps for around $230 USD, such as the Millett and Bottlehead amps.

x2 on the bottlehead amps. They are worth every single buck. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back