Budget Summit-Fi Rig ($1300) Recommendations??
Jul 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

kottav

New Head-Fier
Hi Summit-Fi, I'm looking to build a new high end system. I need an entire system (DAC, amp, and headphones).

-My max budget is $1300.
-My music preferences are: Rock, Electronica, Pop, and Jazz

I look for convincing soundstage, bass impact, and natural representation in a headphone.

I have thought about going with the HE-500 and a Audio-GD NFB-10. I think an LCD-2 setup would better suit my needs but I can't seem to find any amp/dac combination that would do them justice in the $300-$450 range.

I look forward to you recommendations, fellow Head-Fi'ers.

Jul 17, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 30
Used Burson HA-160D and Sennheiser HD-650.  Not the best soundstage performer but will be a good all around setup.  If you could stretch the budget a little you could get a new HA-160D. HD-650 does not do the best with rock because its it has more mid range and a rolled off top end.

Basically you can't really get a bass heavy headphone that has a focus on treble as well. 

HD-650 - Bassy with very smooth mids.  More on the warm side very analog pairing with the HA-160D.  Very good all around natural headphone.

If you dont want to spend the cash on the Burson im sure a Schiit Lyr would be just fine then you could maybe do a Schiit Bifrost for a source.  Not Summit-Fi but good enough.

Can't get champagne with a beer budget :)

Jul 17, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 30
Thanks for the reply! I'll look into it.
It seems I have more of a keystone light budget in the land of Summit-Fi. 
beyersmile.png

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 30
If you think you'll ever want to upgrade, buy the dac and amp separately :wink:

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

-My max budget is $1300.
-My music preferences are: Rock, Electronica, Pop, and Jazz

I look for convincing soundstage, bass impact, and natural representation in a headphone.

I have thought about going with the HE-500 and a Audio-GD NFB-10. I think an LCD-2 setup would better suit my needs but I can't seem to find any amp/dac combination that would do them justice in the $300-$450 range.

I look forward to you recommendations, fellow Head-Fi'ers.

I have similar tastes in music, so I'd say IMO you're on the money already. The NFB-10 matches well with the LCD-2s if you can increase your budget. Being that the HE-500s are tuned less brightly than the other Hifiman orthos they should work well with the NFB-10, which has plenty of kick. 

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #9 of 30
The best BFYB in that range are the Koss ESP/950 and the HE-500. If you go the HE-500 route, I'd go for something slick, like this. It's a nice little, DAC/IA/HP amp. It'll drive any set of headphones, plus you can use it for your desktop speakers.

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #10 of 30
The best BFYB in that range are the Koss ESP/950 and the HE-500. If you go the HE-500 route, I'd go for something slick, like this. It's a nice little, DAC/IA/HP amp. It'll drive any set of headphones, plus you can use it for your desktop speakers.

They also make one that drops the speaker amp for about $200 less, don't know if the HP amp is the same component though. I'm assuming yes though.

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #11 of 30
They also make one that drops the speaker amp for about $200 less, don't know if the HP amp is the same component though. I'm assuming yes though.

I was also thinking that if he ever wanted to run HPs directly off the speaker taps, "wallah".

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #12 of 30
Even used, I have to wonder if the terms 'budget' and 'summit-fi' belong in the same sentence ? Here in Oz, that budget will get me the LCD-2 Rev 2 and some CDs, Huzzah.  
eek.gif

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #14 of 30
That Teac dac/amp is a cool idea. How do the Koss 'stats sound? I'm loving all the good ideas, guys!

What do you guys think of a used LCD-2 ($850), Matrix M-Stage ($260), and a HRT Music Streamer II ($150)?
That's the setup I'm leaning towards at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back