Budget Subwoofer
Apr 27, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #16 of 25

Quote:
What i've gotten is "$500 Minimum, even for budget setups"

For someone who is ignorant and doesn't know what the expensive ones sound like, they can make you perfectly happy.
bigsmile_face.gif

Astrozombie,

Just because someone understands that a budget is something to stay within does not make them ignorant of what a good sub is.  My setup is not for critical listening in my office and I would guess that the original poster is not having a critical listening party with his friends.

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #17 of 25

Quote:
What i've gotten is "$500 Minimum, even for budget setups"

For someone who is ignorant and doesn't know what the expensive ones sound like, they can make you perfectly happy.
bigsmile_face.gif

Astrozombie,

Just because someone understands that a budget is something to stay within does not make them ignorant of what a good sub is.  My setup is not for critical listening in my office and I would guess that the original poster is not having a critical listening party with his friends.

I totally agree. I have a pretty good system in my main listening area ( with a very expensive sub), so I know what a great sub sounds like. However, this doesn't mean that I can't enjoy my budget sub ML sub with my secondary system.

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #18 of 25
Feb 18, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:
I know this site is mainly for headphones, amps, dac, etc but I need some subwoofer help.

I currently have the Audioengine A5 which I am enjoying, even without a subwoofer but during parties and other activities, I need a little more oomph in the bass region. This is a buget, like definitely under $100. Im currently looking at the Monoprice 8248. I dont really know much about the speaker division and just saw this on the Audiophiliac and im pretty down with it.

I appreciate suggestions. 
Thanks!
John

Less than $100 sub doesn't go well with a descent set of speakers (A5).  You will have very poor quality muddy loose bass.

Don't waste money on something you'll end up trashing later.  Save up some money and plan to spend at least $500 on a sub.  $1000+ would be even better.  I'm talking audiophile bass, not for home theaters.

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #20 of 25
Tough choice. Always hard to buy subwoofers on specs alone when they are similar since published specs are often inaccurate or purposely misleading.

However, the Kenwood has a much smaller driver than the other two. That would incline me against it. But could be it sounds very good.

As you mention, the Yamaha is heavier. That's usually something good to look for in bigger subs, but probably not enough of a difference here to be significant.

The Jamo has an adjustable crossover. That's a good thing so that you could set the point where the subwoofer kicks in to where your speakers start rolling off in bass. That way you don't get a heavy double bassing effect. Looks like the Yamaha probably depends on you having an AV receiver that has bass management to handle the crossover.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #21 of 25
Yes , the Kenwood ra5000 has crossover management builtin (but i think is for the speakers only) . This is happening when we are buying from the internet 
size]
 , we can't really feel the product.
They both have good reviews from buyers.
Thank you !

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #22 of 25
keep the A5 unless they are giving you specific problems (like volume control issues out of a preamp/reciever).

For subwoofers, look at dayton sub100 and sub1200. They are the budget go-to options.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #23 of 25
keep the A5 unless they are giving you specific problems (like volume control issues out of a preamp/reciever).

For subwoofers, look at dayton sub100 and sub1200. They are the budget go-to options.

I think the OP with the A5's is probably long gone, and theOS revived the thread. I don't think theOS is in North America, so the Daytons are not an option for him.

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #25 of 25
Lol Hey guys, hows it going?

I ended up getting the PSW10 and Audioengine A2. Got the sub for a steal ~$50

Problem is, it is kind hard to set up because i dont have a receiver so its probably not wired as it should be but at this point, im chillin.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back