Budget Subwoofer
Apr 17, 2012 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

johnman1116

100+ Head-Fier
I know this site is mainly for headphones, amps, dac, etc but I need some subwoofer help.

I currently have the Audioengine A5 which I am enjoying, even without a subwoofer but during parties and other activities, I need a little more oomph in the bass region. This is a buget, like definitely under $100. Im currently looking at the Monoprice 8248. I dont really know much about the speaker division and just saw this on the Audiophiliac and im pretty down with it.

I appreciate suggestions. 
Thanks!
John

Apr 18, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 25
you could sell the A5 and put the $100 toward the A5+. according to reviews they've a lot more oomph than the A5.

can't comment on the 8248 sub. it might do the job for occasional party use... other than that, I'd not choose it.

if you can stretch it go for the AS8.

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 25
I'd save up for something that can actually augment our A5s and extend deeper than they can.  Cheap 'subwoofers' more or less turn out to be mid-bass boxes-- loud and tubby, but not too terribly deep.  They ruin your sound more than make it better.

Apr 19, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:
you could sell the A5 and put the $100 toward the A5+. according to reviews they've a lot more oomph than the A5.

can't comment on the 8248 sub. it might do the job for occasional party use... other than that, I'd not choose it.

if you can stretch it go for the AS8.

Quote:
I'd save up for something that can actually augment our A5s and extend deeper than they can.  Cheap 'subwoofers' more or less turn out to be mid-bass boxes-- loud and tubby, but not too terribly deep.  They ruin your sound more than make it better.

So the only reason I bring up the Monoprice is because of a review by The Audiophiliac where he gives the Monoprice subwoofers a positive review. Im just trying to see if anyone had some budget subwoofers in mind.

Apr 21, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 25
Just bought a Martin Logan Dynamo 300 sub for 129.99 on a very popular online store that starts with A. It's a downward firing downward ported 8 inched that is rated at 75 rms and 150 watts peak but sounds much bigger than the power rating. It sounds quite quick and musical. You can see on my sg that I have it paired with Triangle bookshelves powered by a little Icon 2 ...the system sounds great! Really couldn't be happier. Good luck with finding your budget sub!

Apr 21, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #7 of 25
I have yet to hear a good subwoofer that isn't sealed, high power, and a minimum of about $500 retail.There are some that work alright, but for serious listening of any kind, and I'm not a very serious listener myself, I can't stand every ported sub I've heard. They have all sounded bloated and slow.

Having said that, ML being a stat company which are in no way slow sounding, you may find the exception to that from one of their subs. I have not heard a ML sub, but if they tune them in a way that compliments their speakers, it may well be the solution to your (and my) problem.

Apr 21, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #8 of 25
The reproduction of the low frequency range (aka "bass") requires ample amplification, large and long-extrusion drivers and big enclosures.  All of that comes at a price.  A decent entry-level subwoofer starts at $400.  The laws of physics are the laws of physics.

Apr 21, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #9 of 25

Quote:
I have yet to hear a good subwoofer that isn't sealed, high power, and a minimum of about $500 retail.There are some that work alright, but for serious listening of any kind, and I'm not a very serious listener myself, I can't stand every ported sub I've heard. They have all sounded bloated and slow.
Having said that, ML being a stat company which are in no way slow sounding, you may find the exception to that from one of their subs. I have not heard a ML sub, but if they tune them in a way that compliments their speakers, it may well be the solution to your (and my) problem.

Who said anything about "serious listening"?  I think that while it is true that it's hard to find a musical, fast, and accurate sub for even less than $1,000, it doesn't mean you can't find one for a couple hundred that will enhance a budget system.  My computer system that consists of a Nuforce Icon 2 (350 bucks), Triangle Comete's (450 used), has been greatly enhanced by the addition of the little Martin Logan Dynamo (130 bucks, 300 MFRP).  That said, I wouldn't pair it with my main setup which is much better.  

Apr 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #10 of 25
I have a set of A2's that I have paired with the older version of this:

Dayton Audio SUB-800 8" 80 Watt Powered Subwoofer

Is it a serious listening sub, no not really.  Does it add just enough to the A2's so I enjoy them more, yes.  They make a 10" and a 12" that top out at $130.  If you are just looking for more power during parties when the music is really just for fun they may do the job.

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #11 of 25

Quote:

Is it a serious listening sub, no not really.  Does it add just enough to the A2's so I enjoy them more, yes.  They make a 10" and a 12" that top out at $130.  If you are just looking for more power during parties when the music is really just for fun they may do the job.

Nice post, David.  I think this is more in line with what the original poster was asking - a budget sub that offers good value for very little money and basically just adds some "oomph" in the low registers.  

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

This is actually exactly what im looking for! Do I need it for serious listening? Nope, I mainly use my A5 for TV, movies, video games and parties (hehehe ^^ ) Thanks for showing me this.
plus free shipping with orders over $98 . Buying form ebay may be cheaper but the shipping is just madness.

Nice post, David.  I think this is more in line with what the original poster was asking - a budget sub that offers good value for very little money and basically just adds some "oomph" in the low registers.  

Exactly! Im currently looking at the Dayton and the Polk Audio PSW10.

Thanks!

If anyone else still has suggestions, I would still appreciate it.
Thanks e'erybody!

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #13 of 25

Quote:

I try, I get a lot of this type of stuff on a computer forum I'm in.  I try to stay in budget and just point out the limitations.

Quote:

This is actually exactly what im looking for! Do I need it for serious listening? Nope, I mainly use my A5 for TV, movies, video games and parties (hehehe ^^ ) Thanks for showing me this.
plus free shipping with orders over $98 . Buying form ebay may be cheaper but the shipping is just madness.
Exactly! Im currently looking at the Dayton and the Polk Audio PSW10.

Thanks!

If anyone else still has suggestions, I would still appreciate it.
Thanks e'erybody!

I looked at the Polk as well.  I got the older Dayton Sub-80 (the 800 is newer) because it had line level in and out.  They dropped this from the 800 but my setup is simpler because of it.

Computer Optical -> FiiO D3 -> Sub-80 -> A2's

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #15 of 25
What i've gotten is "$500 Minimum, even for budget setups"

But we have a $150 Velodyne and $150 BIC, i'd say the Velo is more impressive. For someone who is ignorant and doesn't know what the expensive ones sound like, they can make you perfectly happy.
bigsmile_face.gif
I've also heard good things about the budget 12'' Monoprice for $80, i want to check it out for my PC setup. Heard good things about Dayton subs as well, but it stinks you can't really audition them anywhere.

Velodyne is a safe bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back