Jul 11, 2002 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
Considering the following CD players:

Denon 370 - $159 (refurbed)
Harmon Kardon FL8380 - $199 (new)
Sony CE775 - $199 (new)

These are at about my budget limit for the moment. Are they worthy or should I wait to get something better later? I don't really care about SACD/HDCD at the moment, so Redbook play is more of a primary consideration. May consider an outboard DAC like the ART DI/O in the future.

Any input on these is appreciated. TIA

-j

Jul 11, 2002 at 3:48 AM Post #2 of 4
I know a fair number of folks who have had reliability problems with the 83-series HK CDP's...but the sound quality is excellent.

I've been very happy with my used Adcom GCD-575...can be found on eBay for a bit over $100. Makes an excellent transport, and also works well as a player. With the extra $$, you could buy a used DAC.

Don't know anything about the Sony. The Denon seems to get mixed reviews.

Jul 11, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 4
How about a Marantz CD63se. It is in the same price range.

Jul 11, 2002 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 4
Having not heard any of them myself (see: we all talk out of our ass here at HeadFi, but Kelly is your friend because Kelly tells ya explicitly when doing so):

I'd go for the Sony. I'd bet it's got the worst build quality of the lot, but it probably has the best chips (both DAC and output stage) and has SACD to boot.

In fact, as I understand it, the little cheap Sonys are targets for a lot of modders and you might even get more mileage out of modding one of them than adding an ART DI/O--at least an option to research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back