Budget Sound Card or DAC?
May 16, 2010 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

HoldYrPistlStr8

Head-Fier

Hi Head-Fi,

I am pretty sure that my current sound card is dying, because:

. It's not full sounding. I can't really describe it, it just sounds like it's cutting out part of the tonal range or something [my Sansa Fuze sounds better, wth]. I'm not sure how to describe it accurately.

. It's having static whenever I'm doing something relatively demanding (uTorrent + foobar2k + Chrome or CS:S). It could be the fans whirring, but I haven't had it happen until now.

Anyway, I'm going to be in the market for a new one soon, because my confirmation is coming up (my grandmother is a doctor AND religious, great combo for sacraments). Adding that to my current money, I'm going to have an estimated $50-100 budget alloted for this, more or less.

So, what should I get? I was thinking the Musiland Monitor 02, but it's a little too out of my price range, and my parents are quite skeptical about ordering online, much less from eBay.

So, what sound card/DAC is decent for $50-100? 

I only do a conservative amount of gaming by the way, just CS:S, Audiosurf, and Combat Arms (my friend forces me to play it with him, it's so terrible lol). I've gotten an invite to a great private tracker so I'll be doing a lot more music listening.

If it matters, my tastes are quite varied, from dubstep to indie.
If it matters, my music tastes are a bit varied, from dubstep to indie.hiHi OCN,

I am pretty sure that my current sound card is dying, because:

. It's not full sounding. I can't really describe it, it just sounds like it's cutting out part of the tonal range or something [my Sansa Fuze sounds better, wth]

. It's having static whenever I'm doing something relatively demanding (uTorrent + foobar2k + Chrome or CS:S). It could be the fans whirring, but I haven't had it happen until now.

Anyway, I'm going to be in the market for a new one soon, because my confirmation is coming up (my grandmother is a doctor AND religious, great combo for sacraments). Adding that to my current money, I'm going to have an estimated $50-100 budget alloted for this, more or less.

So, what should I get? I was thinking the Musiland Monitor 02, but it's a little too out of my price range, and my parents are quite skeptical about ordering online, much less from eBay.

So, what sound card/DAC is decent for $50-100? 

I only do a conservative amount of gaming by the way, just CS:S, Audiosurf, and Combat Arms (my friend forces me to play it with him, it's so terrible lol). I've gotten an invite to a great private tracker so I'll be doing a lot more music listening.

If it matters, my music tastes are a bit varied, from dubstep to indie.

May 16, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 45
A nice little external DAC would do you wonders, especially with lots of HDD activity.  I'd recommend the common cheap external DAC lately, the uDAC.  It's $100, but you'll be stunned with the performance vs an onboard solution.  (And a fair bit ahead of your Sansa)  If you're in or near a large population center, you might be able to post a 'WTB' in the head-fi Trade forums and as for a local pickup.

Also, private trackers.  If it's one of the good two, hook me up via PM.  >_>

May 16, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 45
Ah, no. I just joined >__> 

Just felt like making my e-peen a bit bigger.

OT: Sounds like a great option. 

May 16, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #4 of 45
Quote:
Ah, no. I just joined >__> 

Just felt like making my e-peen a bit bigger.

Damn valid reasoning.

Good luck with the uDAC if you choose to go that route.  There might be other options, especially if your mobo has an onboard SPDIF output, but none that I can think of that are as common.

May 16, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #5 of 45
I'll be able to send you one when I become a Power User >__>

Does the uDAC have an amp built in or is it just a DAC?

Anyway, thanks for your help. Anyone else?

May 16, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 45
Quote:
I'll be able to send you one when I become a Power User >__>

Does the uDAC have an amp built in or is it just a DAC?

Anyway, thanks for your help. Anyone else?

The uDAC is a DAC/Amp combo unit.  You can use it as a SPDIF transport, DAC/Amp, or DAC only unit.

May 17, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 45
Sounds great! I'll be sure to order when my money comes in next week :)

May 17, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #8 of 45
just type "usb dac" on ebay...you'll find a lot of options in the $100 region. I often recommend this one to my friends when they ask: http://cgi.ebay.com/HA-NG27-USB-Sound-Card-Headphone-Amp-DAC-PCM2702E-/120535889539

it's got several swappable opamps, always a nice touch(the uDAC doesn't have any opamps)..one of my friends said that it killed his STX(that he has sold since then). you can also upgrade to a linear PSU afterwards.

BTW, there's a newer model available, but I haven't seen it anywhere yet(and their site is currently down apparently): http://www.ha-info.com/ng27.htm

May 17, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 45
Sounds good lee.

Anyone else? I'd like to have as many opinions as possible.

EDIT: The specs say the sample rate is 16 Bit/44.1-48 kHz, and the headphone jack looks strange.

May 17, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 45
yeah, the new model of the NG27 looks far better but I haven't seen it sold anywhere...and even the manufacturer's site is currently down.

anyway, ebay is full of those <$100 things, the bang for bucks will be much higher than on the uDAC IMHO...as it's got no opamps and major stereo imbalance issues from what many ppl said. At heart it's essentially a $0.98 DAC chip, nothing more, nothing less.

May 17, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #11 of 45
Anyone else have a good opinion? 

btw, browsing eBay fro a DAC doesn't sound like a good idea.

budget could probably be stretched to $150, I just have to wait till the end of the week to see.

May 18, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #12 of 45
audio-gd has a bunch of headamps in the $150 price range, like their new "sparrow"...right up your alley
wink_face.gif

May 18, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #13 of 45
Quote:
audio-gd has a bunch of headamps in the $150 price range, like their new "sparrow"...right up in your alley
wink_face.gif

This, the Sparrow Ver. B would be perfect.

May 18, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #14 of 45
By Version B do you mean basic?

EDIT: I found it. How would I go about purchasing though?

May 18, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #15 of 45
Quote:
By Version B do you mean basic?

EDIT: I found it. How would I go about purchasing though?

Yeah, he used to call it Ver. B.  He just overhauled the site, so I'm not quite sure, just shoot him an email, to the address in the 'Contact Us' area.  I wouldn't do it until you're ready, though.  And if you don't want to order online, you could ask him about sending him a cheque.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back