Budget Phones: S-Jays Vs Denon 551's
Mar 24, 2009 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

arekieh

Head-Fier
What do u guys think? I need some new headphones. IEM's only plz
smily_headphones1.gif
. My most important things are Isolation, Bass, and Clarity. Will pay up to $100 Canadian (about $80 US). The only things i can find right now are 551's for 90CAD, S-jays for $90 cad, and j-jays for $75 cad.

What do u guys think? Im kindof limited being in canada, my major source would be ebay unless some of u know of a good canadian site for a good pair of iems?

Mar 24, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 25
other than sound quality and stuff, between the two which is better. Im talking like build quality, comfort and isolation.

Also what do u guys think of the AKG K340 and K330's. I dunno if they sound good but they look awesome
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 25
s-Jays are plastic, but they will hold up very well, so don't let the metal Denon take all the credit for build quality.

Between the s-Jays and C751 (next level after the C551), I find the s-Jays to isolate more and be more comfortable. The C551 are lighter though and protrude less, so should be better than the C751 on a comfort level

Mar 24, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #7 of 25
Never heard the others, but between the C551 and s-JAYS, I think the C551 has better built-quality due to the aluminium housing. The s-JAYS are plastic and feels 'cheap', but they are tough.

Both are comfortable, but the C551 is designed more towards wearing them ear downwards, where as the s-JAYS was designed to be worn over the ear. Nothing wrong with wearing others either way though.

Foamis are also included with the s-JAYS, which improves the isolation somewhat.

Mar 24, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #9 of 25
i think im gonna go for the denons
smily_headphones1.gif

what do u guys think of comply tips? Should i get some? I dunno, seem kindof expensive, but do they actually make a difference?

damn just read the c551's have a hole in the back just like the V-Moda vibes = not very good isolation. I use my headphones most on the bus
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Mar 24, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 25
s-Jays by a mile. the C551's aren't even in the same class tbh.
For bang-for-buck however, the Nuforce NE-7M @ US$49.

the s-Jays are better than the NE-7M but NE-7M's for better performance to price ratio.

Be aware though that the s-Jays need burn-in and you may not like the laid-back sound signature of the s-Jays.

In terms of tips, the Complys are good but not that durable. A cheaper alternative is Shure tips.
They both will increase the SQ and isolation.

Mar 24, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #11 of 25
thanks alot, ya im going for the s-jays right now. I like the NE-7M's but i hate the microphone on them. Just pisses me off :/

Could u give me more info on the Shure tips? Do i need a certain type of them for them to work with the s-jays like the complys or will any shure tips work?

are they these:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/10-MEDIUM-Foam-Ea...3A1|240%3A1318

thats pretty expensive though for me atm. If i was paying that much more id rather just grab some phonaks
wink.gif
. I think ill wait and see how the s-jays are when they arrive then decide if i should get the tips or not. Thanks alot for the help deciding

Mar 24, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by arekieh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks alot, ya im going for the s-jays right now. I like the NE-7M's but i hate the microphone on them. Just pisses me off :/

It's really small and close to un-noticeable tbh. You don't have to use it....

Quote:

Could u give me more info on the Shure tips? Do i need a certain type of them for them to work with the s-jays like the complys or will any shure tips work?

You would need a certain type. Not sure what type, I'm sure someone else can fill you in on that.

I feel that the s-Jays is a 'love or hate it' earphone for a number of reasons because of the laid-back sound signature.

Mar 25, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #14 of 25
I would consider the Sennheiser CX 55 or CX 95, as I heard they're pretty damn nice.

but I'd like to hear about the AKG K 340 and K 330 too. they're looking promising. regardless the nice photoshop work on akg.com.

Do you think guys s-JAYS really needs burnin ?
I'm not surewhat do you mean by laidback sound signiture, but I find the sound... unmusical ? more like noise that wants to be music.

I guess I have to give some more time to it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back