budget over ear planar
Aug 5, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #16 of 20
You could just about swing a pair of mrspeakers aeon flow closed for 500. Very comfortable and not bright at all. Used mrspeakers modded fostex t50rp mad dog or alpha dogs for 200-300 would work too.

And lcd2 classics are just starting to dip under the 500 mark used (I’m a fan of used as you can see) and have a great dark signature.

Keep in mind that if you’re laying flat on your back most planars weight might be an issue. You’d need some decent clamp to keep them in place if you’re prone. In which case the t50rp mods from mrspeakers or zmf would be my suggestion.

And if you’re not set on planars take a look at the meze noir and the fostex tr x00 ebony on massdrop. The meze are only 200, and the fostex can be found under 400 (used again, sorry!)

Thanks. I'll have to look at those. The meze look like about what I'm wanting. Lucky I have a weirdly shaped head with a up curve right behind were my headbands sit. I have no issues with headbands sliding down the top of my head laying down. Feels like I'm chasing the rabbit hole here again. Did this when looking for a new dap. I wish the stores here sold more then beats and bose.....

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #17 of 20
Good point. My budget would be under 500. I have the wantsies now though. I could swing 200-300 now. Something like a used mrspeaker, mod house audio... would be great. I can try some planars and if there not for me no biggie. Won't really lose much one them.

The hifiman HE-500 can be found used for $350-420, and IMO it's distinctly better than anything used at $500 or down in planars. Neither Aeon is in the same class. Older Fostex - modded by MrSpeaker are better values than Aeon but cannot touch the HE-500. The MD X00 Mahogany is much like the LCD-2, very colored, huge bass, but unlike the LCD-2 break down with complex music and/or loud volumes.

Aug 6, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #18 of 20
The hifiman HE-500 can be found used for $350-420, and IMO it's distinctly better than anything used at $500 or down in planars. Neither Aeon is in the same class. Older Fostex - modded by MrSpeaker are better values than Aeon but cannot touch the HE-500. The MD X00 Mahogany is much like the LCD-2, very colored, huge bass, but unlike the LCD-2 break down with complex music and/or loud volumes.

ive heard good things about the he 500. when i started this journey i was gonna get some open box he400i, there 129 from hifiman. that or the massdrop version. i think just gonna troll used headphones and weigh all my options, if i can hold out for a month, i could save some more go higher up on my budget or a bit more.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #19 of 20
ive heard good things about the he 500. when i started this journey i was gonna get some open box he400i, there 129 from hifiman. that or the massdrop version. i think just gonna troll used headphones and weigh all my options, if i can hold out for a month, i could save some more go higher up on my budget or a bit more.

A 400i is a decent can, if it was a car it might be a Mazda 3. If the 500 a car? A 4 year old Audi A7 or a BMW 540 if you prefer.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #20 of 20
Thanks everyone for all your help. I decided to dig into getting the m100 eq'd, actually got them pretty decent. Sounds much better now. I love these headphones for movies, not so much for music still, think I'm just over them a bit for that. Basically i fixed some brightness and brought the vocals up a bit. It doesn't seem to dissimilar to what i would have to do with the brighter hifimans. Im feeling some what confidant i could adjust to suite my taste. So im probably going to go for a set of open box he440i's. there only 129 and i have 30 days to see if the work. if not that's fine i got to try some planar and if they work i get some new cans for music for cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back