budget over ear planar
Aug 4, 2019 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

madmanmatt

Head-Fier
Im thinking of getting a set of planars, don't have to be new. I would prefer closed backs but am ok with opens. Whats everyone think. there's a lot to choose from. hifiman has a ton of options out, just hard to decide. there's thieaudio, monoprice.... I prefer a warmer sound. Anyone have any ideas.

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 20
Audeze LCD-2C and MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open are two planars that come to mind with a 'warm' signature.

Aug 4, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #7 of 20
On a scale from warm to cold/bright I rate planars I've had like this.

Aeon Flow open – Brainwavz Alara – Audeze LCD-3 – Hifiman Ananda – Sash Deux V2 – Audeze EL-8 titanium – Takstar HF580 – Audeze Sine - Hifiman HE400 – Hifiman HE400i=Hifiman HE4XX - Hifiman Sundara – Hifiman HE560

If closed back is preferred I'd propably go with EL-8 ti. Second hand prices are quite good. Partially because first versions of EL-8 sucked. Never titanium version is very good imo. It's more neutral than warm though. Sash Deux V2 doubles as a closed back but it sounds substantially better and warmer used as open back. I have not heard closed version of LCD2 but that is propably warmer sounding than EL-8.

Aug 4, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 20
thanks everyone. I'm still figuring budget on what i will allow myself to spend on a headphone. im currently running a ibasso dx150 with some m100s. im using usb audio with uapp to stream tidal. they sound pretty good,im just not happy with most female vocals through them. Im not so good at tweeting the eq to get where i want, don't think ill get there. its more the timbre that i don't like.

there are some used mad dogs on here for 180 to...hmmm

Aug 4, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 20
On a scale from warm to cold/bright I rate planars I've had like this.

Aeon Flow open – Brainwavz Alara – Audeze LCD-3 – Hifiman Ananda – Sash Deux V2 – Audeze EL-8 titanium – Takstar HF580 – Audeze Sine - Hifiman HE400 – Hifiman HE400i=Hifiman HE4XX - Hifiman Sundara – Hifiman HE560

If closed back is preferred I'd propably go with EL-8 ti. Second hand prices are quite good. Partially because first versions of EL-8 sucked. Never titanium version is very good imo. It's more neutral than warm though. Sash Deux V2 doubles as a closed back but it sounds substantially better and warmer used as open back. I have not heard closed version of LCD2 but that is propably warmer sounding than EL-8.

thanks so much for that informative description.

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #11 of 20
It would definitely help recommendations to know what budget is ‘budget.’

There are a lot of used fostex modded planars out there from companies like mrspeakers such as the mad dogs that you can get for under 200. The massdrop Hifiman 4xx you can find for well under 150, but they aren’t ‘warm.’

Let us know! :)

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #12 of 20
My list would go: Hifiman HE-500, Audeze LCD-3, MrSPeakers E1.1 Closed, Hififman HEX v2, Hifiman HE-6, MrSpeakers Aeon Closed || Hifiman 4XX, Hifiman HE400i, Hifiman HE5se, Hifiman Ananda, Hifiman HE-5LE, Hifiman HE-560

The Audeze LCD-2 is the warmest, but it's got: overdone bass, very reticent upper mids, top 1/2 octave also very reticent - cannot recommend. The 3 cans brighter than the HE5se are also borderline unlistenable. I also don't like closed back cans with the exception of MrSpeakers - and no it doesn't include the Aeon which I don't like at all. Open is much better IMO.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #13 of 20
It would definitely help recommendations to know what budget is ‘budget.’

There are a lot of used fostex modded planars out there from companies like mrspeakers such as the mad dogs that you can get for under 200. The massdrop Hifiman 4xx you can find for well under 150, but they aren’t ‘warm.’

Let us know! :)

Good point. My budget would be under 500. I have the wantsies now though. I could swing 200-300 now. Something like a used mrspeaker, mod house audio... would be great. I can try some planars and if there not for me no biggie. Won't really lose much one them.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #14 of 20
I would be using these laying down in bed. My wife sleeps through anything and says having noise won't bother her, I'm not so sure. So that's something to take into consideration. As far as a "warm sound", that so subjective. I would just like mids that aren't recessed behing everything else. Something were the vocals have some weight and just have a bit of yummy texture. I cant do too bright either. I have tinnitus and that just doesn't work. The m100s I'm running now. The vocals just sound somewhat thin to everything else in the mix. There not smooth. I'm not dead set on a planar either, just would love to try/ have a set. There are just so many options out there.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #15 of 20
You could just about swing a pair of mrspeakers aeon flow closed for 500. Very comfortable and not bright at all. Used mrspeakers modded fostex t50rp mad dog or alpha dogs for 200-300 would work too.

And lcd2 classics are just starting to dip under the 500 mark used (I’m a fan of used as you can see) and have a great dark signature.

Keep in mind that if you’re laying flat on your back most planars weight might be an issue. You’d need some decent clamp to keep them in place if you’re prone. In which case the t50rp mods from mrspeakers or zmf would be my suggestion.

And if you’re not set on planars take a look at the meze noir and the fostex tr x00 ebony on massdrop. The meze are only 200, and the fostex can be found under 400 (used again, sorry!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back