Budget laptop audiophile question.
Dec 11, 2008 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Shexbex

New Head-Fier
I have Grado 225 headphones and I play them off my Dell's soundcard. It sounds good, but not amazing. I have about 200$ to spend on improving the sound of my headphones. I have absolutely no idea what would be better for me. Should I buy a headphone amp? A better external usb soundcard? I could stretch my budget to 250$ if it's really worth it. Basically, I want to use the money to improve my sound as efficiently as possible!

Thanks!

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #2 of 6
If you get an amp, you'll still have the issue of your sound card not sounding as good as you may want. If I were you, I'd go for a sound card solution such as the Echo Indigo IO or IOx if you have express card found in new computers.

It has a nice sounding (so I've heard) headphone output, and has very good specs - super clean output and 24bit 196khz processing. If you're interested, just do a search on it and you should find a bunch of people with experience with the Indigo.

BTW, it's 190 bucks on many sites - I know 'cause it's on my Christmas wish list!

Hey, hope this helps!

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #3 of 6
I have an "E-MU Tracker Pre" which is an external USB sound DAC / ADC that does up to 24 bit / 192 KHz. As well as line & mike level in/out sockets it also has a very clean headphone output (1/4" socket) and volume control. The "E-MU 0202" is almost identical but a bit cheaper, much less than USD $200. They are USB powered. The Tracker Pre can also be external powered.

There are other brands of similar devices, such as MAudio and Edirol. Search and ye shall find.

Glenn.

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 6
If you have an spdif output you could consider getting a Zero DAC/Amp and modding it for much less than $200. Check out the review on here for more info.

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #5 of 6
Laptop is portable right? Grado's are easy to drive yes? Need both amplification and a source do you? Budget restrictions have you?

iBasso

Portable USB Dac/headphone amp, even have a few to choose from.

"Frank's" idea of getting a Zero if stationary it is to be, is a good one.
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #6 of 6
A Zero is possible. We've got a (quality, believe it or not) Chinese company to design and build something somewhat better than the Zero with much the same features for about $200-250 we're waiting to be finished. Allowing for cost of shipping, it might be worth the wait and saving a few $$ more.

The other thing you could do is get a second-hand portable amp with a USB DAC built in. Grado's are easy to drive, so this could be a good mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back