Budget IEMs that I won't break
Jun 23, 2009 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

headandneck

New Head-Fier
hi everyone,

i've spent the last few days trawling the forums trying to find a decent set of IEMs for under £40.

I've checked out all the usual suspects that you all so kindly recommend when people ask similar questions but there's one thing im having a hard time discovering...

the build quality. specifically the wiring.

i've been through three pairs of shures and a pair of philips IEMs in the last 3 years. All of them have broken because of faulty wiring at either the headphone jack, the phone itself or the point where the cable divides. no idea why because i think i take quite good care of the things i own...

being a music industry intern i don't have much money to spend on an new pair.

i listen mainly to electronica, hiphop and dubstep if that's any help, but really at the moment i think that build quality is the most important factor until i get some more cash.

any recommendations would be amazing

thanks!

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 14
thanks for the reply.

i've seen you recommend the c551s before both for their sound and build quality. i was bidding on them on ebay yesterday, but the price went way beyond what i was willing to pay, and all the other similar items seem to be going the same way

it obviously is the way i treat them, although, not purposefully. i just need something that will be able to handle it. more often than not it'll be the wire getting snagged on something like a door handle or me dropping my ipod. i own other pairs of studio headphones which have lasted me years because I don't take them anywhere with me and just leave them in the lab.

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 14
well im not recomending the c551 just suggesting them as possibly being suitable

just the denons do have a very nice flexable cable on them

another suggestion could be the up336? the altec lansing version of the superfi 3. amazon us has it crazy cheap and it has replaceable cables.

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
another suggestion could be the up336? the altec lansing version of the superfi 3. amazon us has it crazy cheap and it has replaceable cables.

It's actually uhp336. I got a pair from amazon, and I'd definitely reccomend them. For the price, it's a great value. Once you find the right fit and get them broken in, it's a wonderful experience.

The only drawback of the uhp336's I can think of for the OP is not enough bass for rap and techno, especially out of the box before you get them broken in. They're not going to rattle your eardrums, but they're great for stuff with good bass guitar like Jaco Pastorius and Yes.

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 14
If you're up for portable full sizers then you should look at the Portapros since they have a no questions asked lifetime warranty.

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bba1973 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only drawback of the uhp336's I can think of for the OP is not enough bass for rap and techno, especially out of the box before you get them broken in. They're not going to rattle your eardrums, but they're great for stuff with good bass guitar like Jaco Pastorius and Yes.

For the past couple hours, I've been listening to some old skool rap like Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, Cypress Hill, etc. with my uhp336's. The bass is there, and it's good, but it's probably not enough for most rap lovers. It's not a head-rattling boom, but it's good enough for me. I still stand by my quoted opinion.

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #9 of 14
i'd rather have a well balanced sound than a pair that emphasizes the bass more than the artist meant. i rarely listen to my headphones loud anyway.

unfortunately the uhp336 is pretty expensive in the UK (as far as I can find).

the lifetime warranty of the koss is a pretty attractive offer! might have to seriously consider them... if only there were similar offers for cheap IEMs

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #10 of 14
While I think the Denons sound fairly accurate; I find them hard to use when there are other noises around, and i can only enjoy them in seclusion from other noises. Something to keep in mind.

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by headandneck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
unfortunately the uhp336 is pretty expensive in the UK (as far as I can find).

Check ebay. They're more expensive than the US Amazon's site, but you might be able to get someone to ship it to the UK. Just a thought if you do seriously consider them. There's lots of IEMs out there though, and you should be able to find some good ones in the UK. Good luck.

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by headandneck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi everyone,

the build quality. specifically the wiring.

i've been through three pairs of shures and a pair of philips IEMs in the last 3 years. All of them have broken because of faulty wiring at either the headphone jack, the phone itself or the point where the cable divides. no idea why because i think i take quite good care of the things i own...

any recommendations would be amazing

thanks!

If it's any consolation, for some reason my body chemistry and the coating on Shure's wires conflict horribly so after three pairs I've given up. Right now, I'm using Ultimate Ears super.fi 4's, they seem to be holding up perfectly so far.

I'll also admit to purchasing a pair of Skullcandy Full Metal Jackets which I've been using on and off for a while. Not the most 'full' sound but at the bargain price they ain't too bad for the type of music you enjoy.

Jun 25, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #14 of 14
My current experience with the AKG IP2 indicates that it's a simple, sturdy design with supple wiring. Sound is very balanced. The design appears to be the same with the AKG 324P and I hear that it is bass prominent, though I have no direct experience with it. I got my IP2s off of eBay at auction for 1/3 of the vendors BIN price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back