Budget IEM with best ISOLATION
Apr 24, 2007 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

phyrefly

100+ Head-Fier
While my Sharp MD-33s are decent when I listen to music at home, they're horrible on the bus or subway.

I've come to realize that the relative differences in SQ between similarly priced IEMs won't matter (captain obvious
frown.gif
) if they can't isolate enough for listening at a safe level. According to google, the average dba in inside a subway is in the 80s and can hit 90s on the platform.

Now, some IEMs claim 30db isolation while others claim 20-25db. Do they really differ or is it mostly the tips? If so, which type of tip/flange offers the best isolation?

Budget: <120USD

Apr 24, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 22
FYI, its not really the IEM that counts for isolation, its the tip you use. I use Shure's Yellow foams, they seem to do the best out of the 3 in the fit kit. I didn't really like the black foams, so I got the yellows. Both do great though for isolation.

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 22
It does depend on the design too. I've listened to E2Cs and ER-6is (not too sure about the UM1), and ER-6i by far had much more isolation, even with foamies on both of them. The E2C had much larger bores leading from the driver to the tip, which apparently affects the isolation. Even the isolation on my current E4 seemed much less than the isolation provided by the Etymotic. So if you're looking for isolation, ER-6i w/ flanges FTW, for less than $120.

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #5 of 22
iM716 ftw

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #6 of 22
vYu223... you really LOVE your iM716 huh... ur name keeps comin up on all my searches for info on iM716
have u ever heard the iM616? care to comment on it if you have? i thought u were comparing the 2 of them a while back...

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #7 of 22
er6is are more like 60-70 really, 68 from Amazon.com... if isolation is what you want and a decent sounding IEM then I think there's really no question with what to go for. I don't doubt its beaten by things in the 100+ price range, but for 68 bucks...

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #8 of 22
The ER6i's isolate very well with tri-flanges and foams (especially Comply short foams -- extra expense, but worth it to me -- although they isolate well with the Ety foams, too). I don't know whether bi-flanges can be ordered for the ER6i -- I do know that the bi-flanges were a little more "ear-friendly" for me when I had ER6's. I don't like the tri-flanges (they only look like torture devices -- they're not painful for me), so I use the Complys, which for me enhance the Ety experience (particularly in noisy airplanes ... your mileage may vary).

While posters point out that tips determine isolation, I will add that because of their tiny size, and depending on the size and shape of your ear canals and outer ears, the Ety's can for some people really help the tips block the ear canals and provide isolation. It's hard to describe unless you've tried them, but if you insert the Etys so that they follow the ear canal -- generally forward and upward somewhat, not merely at right angels to the side of your head -- unless you have really small ears, the body of the earphones can nestle at least mostly within the outer portion of the ear.

Very low-profile and light, and much better isolation than my Creatives, which have the same form as your Sharps. The bass will be there on "modern" recordings, but it's not massive, that's for sure.

I got a black pair for about $89 via Amazon or one of its third-party marketplace vendors, and I wouldn't fly without them.

Apr 24, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #9 of 22
Triflanges can easily go to biflanges simply from cutting the largest or smallest tip. Or, even easier, sending an e-mail to Etymotic and asking for bi-flanges, they'll give you a set of large and small biflanges, for free. So just in case you hate foamies or the stock triflanges.

Apr 24, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know whether bi-flanges can be ordered for the ER6i -- I do know that the bi-flanges were a little more "ear-friendly" for me when I had ER6's.

Bi-flanges can be ordered for the 6i in two sizes (or cut down from tri-flanges), but they are not the same as ER-6 biflanges. The ER-6's biflange seems to be a different material and also feels more flexible to me.

I agree that the ER-6's eartips are more "ear-friendly" on me as well, but I put this down to the greater suppleness of the ER-6's tips and not to the bi-versus-tri distinction. I own both sizes of ER-6i biflanges, and on me they're no improvement over the triflanges.

Apr 24, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by D_4_Dog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
vYu223... you really LOVE your iM716 huh... ur name keeps comin up on all my searches for info on iM716
have u ever heard the iM616? care to comment on it if you have? i thought u were comparing the 2 of them a while back...

Haha yeah... kind of like how piccolo namek is for his ER-4's. I don't mean anything I say about the iM716 fanboyishly - they just sound that good. It's also within the OP's price limit. I kind of recommend the iM716's the same way everyone recommends the KSC-75's - I just recommend it, and don't even back it up with reason
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif
. I know it's a bad habit, but hey - they're that good.

About the info regarding the iM616 - I have not listened to the iM616, but I have heard numerous accounts that they are like the iM716's in bass mode, and that they are better than the ER-6i's (only sound-quality wise).

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #12 of 22
On the Ety bi/tri-flange issue, my ER6 earpieces are a MUCH more friendly material than my ER4Ps, softer, smoother, more flexible--to the point where I can't use the the flanged things on the E4. I wish they made the same thing for the E4.

Anyway, if you're looking for quiet vs price, try Koss SparkPlugs, for $20, or Koss® 151572 Porta Pros for $15, both from RadioShack.

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About the info regarding the iM616 - I have not listened to the iM616, but I have heard numerous accounts that they are like the iM716's in bass mode, and that they are better than the ER-6i's (only sound-quality wise).

The other theory is that they sound a lot like the ER6i. I haven't heard the iM716 or ER6i so I don't know what's true, but I do like my iM616s. They have very good isolation, and should be easier to drive than the iM716s from what I've read, so with an unamped DAP that could be a benefit. (That applies to the ER6i, too.) The iM616s have less bass than my Marshmallows or EP630s, but it's cleaner and not as thumpy. They are more revealing than those, too.

Apr 25, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #14 of 22
Hmm, I guess it between the iM716 and ER6i then. Which is closer to the Koss or Grado sound signature? Also, do they come with tips that will offer good isolation (except comply foams) or will I have to buy addition tips to achieve maximum isolation?

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #15 of 22
etys are the best isolating iems from what i;ve read here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back