Budget Headphones: HD202 vs. Philips Citiscape Downtown?
Aug 30, 2013 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Airey

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, looking to learn a lot from this forums. I'm going to get some budget headphones for a long trip I'm having in a month and my choices have come between these two: I know the HD202 are cheaper but I'm willing to take the risk if the Downtowns are worth it. Has anyone heard both? Which one is better? My tastes in music are diverse but I tend to lean more on the Hard Rock/Metal spectrum. Hope to get a good response.

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 9
hmm I have heard both though I can't give you a direct comparison since I don't own them, but I have heard the downtowns and they are definitely good for their price point. The grey version is $30 on amazon while the hd202 is $25 so if you were considering buying online I would go for the downtowns. Based off a rough recollection the hd202 sounded ok but not as good as the amazon reviews would suggest (when I first heard them wasn't too impressed) while the downtowns actually suprised me with  the sound quality it offered at the price. 

There is a review on innerfidelity if you want to check that for the downtowns. According to Tyll there the downtowns compete with the CAL!.... which hopefully you've heard of- if not, its a highly regarded entry level headphone. Some people dislike innerfidelity, but I do agree that these headphones sound good.

This doesn't necessarily mean to ignore the hd202- these are just my opinions mainly on the downtowns, though $30 is a pretty good price for those- lowest previous amazon price was $50.

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 9
I have not heard the HD202, although do like many of the Sennheiser headphones that I've heard.  I own the Philips Downtowns.  While I think they actually sound good they get very uncomfortable very fast.  The on ear cushions heat up my ears quick and I would not call the earpad material the softest.  If you'll be using them in cold weather, the warmth might actually be a plus.  I really only keep them around because they are my only pair of headphones with a mic and that comes in handy occasionally and I doubt I could get very much selling them. 

That said, I believe that comfort varies greatly from person to person so please just take this as my experience. 

Aug 31, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
I have not heard the HD202, although do like many of the Sennheiser headphones that I've heard.  I own the Philips Downtowns.  While I think they actually sound good they get very uncomfortable very fast.  The on ear cushions heat up my ears quick and I would not call the earpad material the softest.  If you'll be using them in cold weather, the warmth might actually be a plus.  I really only keep them around because they are my only pair of headphones with a mic and that comes in handy occasionally and I doubt I could get very much selling them. 

That said, I believe that comfort varies greatly from person to person so please just take this as my experience. 

It's weird: I thought the Downtowns were pretty comfortable. Another one highly recommended here for the range is the Koss Portapro but the closest store near me only has the Sportapro: do they sound the same, or does the Portapro sound better? (Hence the price) Are those two better than the HD202 and the Downtowns?

Aug 31, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 9
I havent heard the porta pros but if the downtowns are on par with the cal! Then they should be better... Ive heard people saying that the cal is better than the porta pros.

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #6 of 9
Bump to see if anyone has heard/owns the Philips Citiscape Metro (Or Shibuya in some places). Someone told me they have the same drivers as the downtown for half the price. Can anyone confirm? Are they good?

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 9
Hi, Everyone! So a friend of mine went with the HD202 and I went with the Downtowns so I got time to hear both. I'm no expert audiophile right here so sorry beforehand if I don't use the right terminology!
confused_face.gif

The Downtowns are definitely the best fit long term (These cushions are amazing) But the on ear design and the passive isolation can get your ears really warm in a short time, so I recommend the HD202 or the Citiscape Metros/Shibuya if you live in a place with warm, hot weather. I expected the Downtowns to be the bassier headphone and was really surprised when the HD202 came out as the ones with the heavier, punchier bass, specially when EQ'd, although the Downtowns don't get behind and get a clear, comfortable bass. The HD202 have a far better soundstage, but the Downtowns do really well in mids and highs while the HD202 might get a bit blurry in both the mids and highs. And of course the isolation is miles better on the Downtowns.

It overall depends on what you like the most when choosing a headphone. I'm definitely happy with my Downtowns and personally I'd choose it over the HD202, but the HD202 are really good as well, specially since they get an amazing quality at a much cheaper price. 

Thanks for the help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back