Budget Grado recable (non-DIY)?
Oct 9, 2017 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

briluster

New Head-Fier
I have the Grado SR60e and really enjoy it. However, I can’t stand the length of the cable. I prefer cable length of around 1.2m, whether I wear the cans around the house or while out & about. The Grado’s cable length is annoying, as I still move about when wearing them at home and they get in the way. I’d love to mod them with a shorter cable, but strictly for comfort—not necessarily for an upgrade in sound. Most of the recabling services I’ve seen online have premium pricing, since I assume most use these services for the sound upgrade. While I don’t consider it worth the cost to spend these prices for my needs, the cable length is annoying enough that I would consider ditching them altogether if I can’t fet them recabled at a more budget-friendly price.

Does anyone have any budget recommendations? I’m not interested in any DIY options at this point.

Oct 9, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 3
Most of the recabling services I’ve seen online have premium pricing, since I assume most use these services for the sound upgrade. While I don’t consider it worth the cost to spend these prices for my needs, the cable length is annoying enough that I would consider ditching them altogether if I can’t fet them recabled at a more budget-friendly price.
Does anyone have any budget recommendations? I’m not interested in any DIY options at this point.

It's not just the sound that's putting them beyond "low budget." It's about how much the DIYers perceive their time is worth. Add the cost of shipping the headphone to and fro and you really end up spending more.

Either you ask the recablers if they can ditch the materials cost at least and just cut the cable and solder on a new plug, or ask if they can instead mod the cups to have 2.5mm or 3.5mm sockets. The latter will still be expensive but at least if you break the cable you just go on Amazon or something and look for a headphone replacement cable that terminates in 2.5mm or 3.5mm TRS mono.

Oct 9, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 3
It's not just the sound that's putting them beyond "low budget." It's about how much the DIYers perceive their time is worth. Add the cost of shipping the headphone to and fro and you really end up spending more.

Either you ask the recablers if they can ditch the materials cost at least and just cut the cable and solder on a new plug, or ask if they can instead mod the cups to have 2.5mm or 3.5mm sockets. The latter will still be expensive but at least if you break the cable you just go on Amazon or something and look for a headphone replacement cable that terminates in 2.5mm or 3.5mm TRS mono.

Yeah, that makes sense. It’s probably just something I’ll either have to accept as-is or move on to another option, unless I come across a decent amount of extra disposable income. Thanks for the insight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back