Budget/Entry Level IEM's... upgrade from Shure E2's
Aug 17, 2008 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bmwpowere36m3

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys looking for some advice on upgrading my IEM's. Back when I got my iPod Mini (~4yrs ago) I thought the included Apple buds sounded awesome... I did a little research at the time and learned about "sound-isolating" canal-phones. My search led me to Shure's E2 IEM's and I was throughly impressed by their sound and noise-isolation. Well after 3 yrs of daily usage (casual, gym, sports) the cabling around the phones started to split and crack and eventually the copper cable inside started oxidizing green.

So now i would like to upgrade to another set of IEM's. Here's my usage and requirements:
  1. Use w/ iPod Mini, iPhone 3G, and MacBook Pro (laptop)
  2. Listen to mp3's on both "ipods" 320kbps MP3 and FLAC on laptop
  3. Music mostly consists of Rock (Classic, Hard, Alt) & Metal (Heavy, Melodic, and Thrash)
  4. Will be relegated generally to casual use
  5. Budget Sub ~$150.00

So far I'm looking at:
  1. Westone UM1
  2. Etymotic ER6 or 6i
  3. UE Super.fi 3,4, or 5
  4. FREQ's
  5. Head-Direct RE2's
  6. SkullCandy FMJ's

Thanks for the help.

Aug 18, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #3 of 13
If your interest is in rock and metal, I'll advise you to stay away from the Etymotics, UM1s, RE2s and eariler Superfis as they are all lacking in bass. The Superfi 5 EB is a good choice, as with the denon c700 if you are ok with less isolation. You can also cough up a bit more dough for a Atrio M5.

Aug 20, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #6 of 13
Well...everyone says how the Denon canalphones (and full-sized cans too, actually) lack isolation. And this is true vis-a-vis "true" IEMs like the Etys. But still, they're canalphones and with music on, there's enough isolation for most. I can't hear conversations, etc., with my iPod turned at less than half volume. They might not work if you live next to a train station, of course...

Aug 20, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #7 of 13
I upgraded to the Westone UM1 from the E2C, and the change was a huge improvement.

That said, for the money you mention, you could get some Super.fi 5 Pros used. Those sound better than the UM1 to my ears, but are much less durable and comfortable and isolating. I'd personally advise against the Super.fi 5 EB unless you like listening to nothing but subwoofers.

The ER-4Ps, when I heard them, rendered the Super.fi 5 Pros unlistenable in comparison, though their response characteristics make them not the best choice for rock, as they lack a little in bass and their high end sparkle exposes the mess that is a lot of rock production. You can get ER-4Ps under $150 used.

I'd look into the new model Super.fi 5 as well, though I don't know the price there.

I'd also avoid the Denons simply because I don't like canalphones as much. I wear IEMs to block out sound as much as to hear good SQ.

Aug 20, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well...everyone says how the Denon canalphones (and full-sized cans too, actually) lack isolation. And this is true vis-a-vis "true" IEMs like the Etys. But still, they're canalphones and with music on, there's enough isolation for most. I can't hear conversations, etc., with my iPod turned at less than half volume. They might not work if you live next to a train station, of course...

I see what your saying, but I'm looking for a true IEM. I like the fact that with my Shure's just in my ears, I get a good amount of noise reduction. I don't think I even pass 1/4 of the loudness scale on my mini with these phones and that's pretty good level.

Aug 20, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I upgraded to the Westone UM1 from the E2C, and the change was a huge improvement.

That said, for the money you mention, you could get some Super.fi 5 Pros used. Those sound better than the UM1 to my ears, but are much less durable and comfortable and isolating. I'd personally advise against the Super.fi 5 EB unless you like listening to nothing but subwoofers.

The ER-4Ps, when I heard them, rendered the Super.fi 5 Pros unlistenable in comparison, though their response characteristics make them not the best choice for rock, as they lack a little in bass and their high end sparkle exposes the mess that is a lot of rock production. You can get ER-4Ps under $150 used.

I'd look into the new model Super.fi 5 as well, though I don't know the price there.

I'd also avoid the Denons simply because I don't like canalphones as much. I wear IEMs to block out sound as much as to hear good SQ.

You mean these: super.fi 5 - Products - Ultimate Ears Earphones Headphones Personal Monitors

Aug 20, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sent from E2C's to SF5pros, and I absolutely loved it.

Do they offer suitable bass for rock and metal music... I don't need ground thumping bass, but a nice blend of bass, mids, and treble.

Aug 20, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they offer suitable bass for rock and metal music... I don't need ground thumping bass, but a nice blend of bass, mids, and treble.

Yeah, they have sufficient bass for that. Their mids are also nice, but I found the treble a little lacking. It wasn't bad when I first switched to them, but after I heard the ER-4Ps in the same price range, the SF5Ps sounded very muffled and un-detailed.

The SF5Ps are solid all round for their price if you buy them used, but I don't think they're worth their new price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean these: super.fi 5 - Products - Ultimate Ears Earphones Headphones Personal Monitors

Indeed. I haven't heard them, but they seem to be getting favourable reviews. Problem is that they're so new, they're not coming up for sale used at reasonable prices yet. So unless it's truly an amazing IEM that's worth the MSRP, compared to ER-4Ps which can be had for less or the Q-Jays around the same price used, for example, I won't be trying them.

That said, it is nice to see UE actually putting some thought into their universal IEM design.

Sep 5, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #13 of 13
Well after much research and mulling over pricing I figured @ ~$80 I really can't go wrong with Head-Direct RE2's. I also threw on a set of Yuin PK3's for good measure. For the most part they'll be used with my iPhone 3G & MacBook Pro unamped... I might invest $ 10 in a Flio amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back