Budget DAP vs Samsung S7 Edge?
Jul 16, 2017 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Byron Jarebb Maniquiz

New Head-Fier
Hi all! I currently use an Exynos S7 Edge. I'm relatively new to the audiophile world. I use KZ IEMs and VE Monks as my daily drivers and was recently thinking of buying an xDuoo X3 or a Fiio X1ii. Is it worth it or should I save my cash and stick with my phone until I can afford some higher-tier DAPs?

Jul 16, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 7
Better headphones or earphones is the way to go if you ask me. Daps can be a bit better but I think you would have to step it up a bit to get better than most phones now. New earphones would be a better choice than a new dap in my opinion.

Jul 16, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 7
With few exceptions, you won't see much improvement in your sound from getting a new DAP. I'm a fan of the X1, but I think you're likely better off getting new drivers unless you're running out of memory constantly on your phone or something.

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 7
The headphones you're using won't significantly benefit from higher powered sources.

Yeah, I agree with most of the posts - upgrade your headphones first.

Jul 17, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #6 of 7
The Xduoo X3 is a fantastic DAP, much better sounding than the Fiio X1 and a step up from a phone. It will improve the sound you get from IEMs, but not in a massive way. If you like the IEMs you use (and I love KZ sets, and the Monk+ is good too) and want to improve the sound coming from your Exynos, then perhaps adding a small headphone AMP is the way to go. Something like the Topping NX2. I used that on my Lumia and it made a huge difference with all my IEMs, regardless of price or build.

There are plenty budget sets that are a step up from the KZ sets and the Monk, something like the MEMT X5 which is well liked and one of the best budget sets you'll find, and cost under $20.

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the replies!

The Xduoo X3 is a fantastic DAP, much better sounding than the Fiio X1 and a step up from a phone. It will improve the sound you get from IEMs, but not in a massive way. If you like the IEMs you use (and I love KZ sets, and the Monk+ is good too) and want to improve the sound coming from your Exynos, then perhaps adding a small headphone AMP is the way to go. Something like the Topping NX2. I used that on my Lumia and it made a huge difference with all my IEMs, regardless of price or build.

There are plenty budget sets that are a step up from the KZ sets and the Monk, something like the MEMT X5 which is well liked and one of the best budget sets you'll find, and cost under $20.

Thank you for the heads up! Been considering an amp as well but was thinking that it might lead to bad double-amping. Also, I checked out the MEMT online and I'm starting to like it already. It's right around the budget I'm willing to go for my next IEM! I hope I stumble upon one here in the Philippines, nowadays it's all KZs, Soundmagics, and VJJBs in the sub-$20 bracket here. I appreciate the suggestion. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back