Budget DAP for sensitive IEMs
Oct 5, 2020 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Johnny_N

New Head-Fier
Hello Guys,

2 years ago i found my perfect DAP with the Yescool S5. I got it for around 40 USD at AE. It is very powerful, has a customizable 7-band EQ and no hiss with high sensitive, multi-BA IEMs.

Unfortunately the wheel used to flip through the playlist + volume control broke and i need to find a replacement. As the Yescool S5 is no longer available i tried the Ziku HD-X9 which i found good reviews for here on head-fi. I could live with the missing EQ but there is noticable hiss with more sensitive IEMs like my Audbos P4, KZ ZSX or TRN V90.

Apart from sound i don`t have high requirements for a new DAP. It needs to hold a 32GB micro SD memory card and play 16-bit/44kHz FLAC files i create from Audio CDs. I do not need bluetooth, balanced output or music streaming services. I won`t use it as USB DAC, i just want to listen to my music.

Ideally i can get a new DAP for around 40 USD again. If there is significant improvement i am willing to spend up to 80 USD. The upper limit is 100 USD and if i spend this much i expect at least a stepless 8-band EQ.

I was looking at the Fiio M3 Pro which seems to handle sensitive IEMs well but has no customizable EQ. The Fiio M6 is too expensive. Do you guys have any recommendation? Thanks in advance!

Oct 5, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #2 of 20
Hello Guys,

2 years ago i found my perfect DAP with the Yescool S5. I got it for around 40 USD at AE. It is very powerful, has a customizable 7-band EQ and no hiss with high sensitive, multi-BA IEMs.

Unfortunately the wheel used to flip through the playlist + volume control broke and i need to find a replacement. As the Yescool S5 is no longer available i tried the Ziku HD-X9 which i found good reviews for here on head-fi. I could live with the missing EQ but there is noticable hiss with more sensitive IEMs like my Audbos P4, KZ ZSX or TRN V90.

Apart from sound i don`t have high requirements for a new DAP. It needs to hold a 32GB micro SD memory card and play 16-bit/44kHz FLAC files i create from Audio CDs. I do not need bluetooth, balanced output or music streaming services. I won`t use it as USB DAC, i just want to listen to my music.

Ideally i can get a new DAP for around 40 USD again. If there is significant improvement i am willing to spend up to 80 USD. The upper limit is 100 USD and if i spend this much i expect at least a stepless 8-band EQ.

I was looking at the Fiio M3 Pro which seems to handle sensitive IEMs well but has no customizable EQ. The Fiio M6 is too expensive. Do you guys have any recommendation? Thanks in advance!

I also get a hiss on the Ziku HD X9 with highly sensitive IEMs, that is a bugbear of mine.

I recently bought the Shanling Q1 DAP. I got it at $91 USD during the march aliexpress sales.
It has 2 way bluetooth, 20+ hour battery life, and get drive high sensitive IEMs to more power hungry headphones. Very small. No hiss whatsoever with high sensitivity IEMs. Sound is transparent, with a tinge of brightness. Good UI, can put SD cards and play FLACs. Shanling has very good support too, they release patches every few months, the last one recently gives WIFI support for the Shanling Q1.

Oct 5, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #3 of 20
I also get a hiss on the Ziku HD X9 with highly sensitive IEMs, that is a bugbear of mine.

I recently bought the Shanling Q1 DAP. I got it at $91 USD during the march aliexpress sales.
It has 2 way bluetooth, 20+ hour battery life, and get drive high sensitive IEMs to more power hungry headphones. Very small. No hiss whatsoever with high sensitivity IEMs. Sound is transparent, with a tinge of brightness. Good UI, can put SD cards and play FLACs. Shanling has very good support too, they release patches every few months, the last one recently gives WIFI support for the Shanling Q1.
Thanks, the Shanling Q1 looks promising. It has some features (like 2-way bt) i don`t need which seem to push the price. Maybe i can find a more budget-friendly alternative.

Oct 5, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #4 of 20
Thanks, the Shanling Q1 looks promising. It has some features (like 2-way bt) i don`t need which seem to push the price. Maybe i can find a more budget-friendly alternative.

I was deciding between the Shanling Q1 and the Fiio M3 Pro before getting the former. The Fiio M3 Pro has slightly worse battery life and no BT, so I went for Shanling Q1 in the end for about $15 USD more. Fiio M3 Pro has some e book reader and calculator but I don't think most of us will use them, plus Fiio doesn't seem to update their DAPs with patches too often, compared to Shanling.

I have come to realize a cheaper option than DAPs is to use some dongle DAC/AMPs with the phone, eg Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. It is about $30ish USD, can hit almost the same quality as my desktop setup. Just that it can't drive higher impedance stuff or planars. Only issue is these dongles do use battery life from the smartphone and if one uses a lot of lossless files, the smartphones may not have enough memory (perhaps u can if the phone accepts external memory cards).

Oct 5, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #5 of 20
I was deciding between the Shanling Q1 and the Fiio M3 Pro before getting the former. The Fiio M3 Pro has slightly worse battery life and no BT, so I went for Shanling Q1 in the end for about $15 USD more. Fiio M3 Pro has some e book reader and calculator but I don't think most of us will use them, plus Fiio doesn't seem to update their DAPs with patches too often, compared to Shanling.

I have come to realize a cheaper option than DAPs is to use some dongle DAC/AMPs with the phone, eg Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. It is about $30ish USD, can hit almost the same quality as my desktop setup. Just that it can't drive higher impedance stuff or planars. Only issue is these dongles do use battery life from the smartphone and if one uses a lot of lossless files, the smartphones may not have enough memory (perhaps u can if the phone accepts external memory cards).
I dropped the M3 Pro for the lack of custom EQ settings.

I considered buying a smartphone DAC before. It has the downside of carrying 2 devices and i am afraid that the cable might go off while walking (i don`t trust these mini usb-c connectors). Battery life would be no problem as my Umidigi Power 3 has a 6150mAh battery and it accepts micro SD memory cards.

I`d prefer a smaller DAP on the go as i don`t want to have the huge smartphone in my pocket. If i have to choose between the 30 USD DAC and the Shanling Q1, the Q1 would clearly win the race. I still hope there is another, cheaper option to listen with my IEMs without hiss.

Edit: At my preferred shop the Shanling Q1 costs the same as the Fiio M6 (about 120 EUR). Does anybody know which one of these 2 offers better EQ customizing? Performance should be similiar.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 20
I dropped the M3 Pro for the lack of custom EQ settings.

I considered buying a smartphone DAC before. It has the downside of carrying 2 devices and i am afraid that the cable might go off while walking (i don`t trust these mini usb-c connectors). Battery life would be no problem as my Umidigi Power 3 has a 6150mAh battery and it accepts micro SD memory cards.

I`d prefer a smaller DAP on the go as i don`t want to have the huge smartphone in my pocket. If i have to choose between the 30 USD DAC and the Shanling Q1, the Q1 would clearly win the race. I still hope there is another, cheaper option to listen with my IEMs without hiss.

Edit: At my preferred shop the Shanling Q1 costs the same as the Fiio M6 (about 120 EUR). Does anybody know which one of these 2 offers better EQ customizing? Performance should be similiar.

The FIIO M6 has very good eq customisation with the preloaded FIIO music app and the added benefit of adding different players very easily in apk. The FIIO website actually has quite a few that they supply. It's a perfect weight for me, 2 memory slots, can be used as a DAC, can attach other DAC/AMPOS thru it's USB-C point. I can't compare with the Shanling tho I'm afraid

Oct 5, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 20
If it helps... that is with an Hono 9 lite phone for size. EQ also is easy to slide and has ten adjustments.
IMG_20201006_011245.jpgIMG_20201006_011141.jpg

Oct 6, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 20
Sorry for stepping in to your thread.
I'm also looking for a budget DAP for under $60, I read decent reviews of JWD JWM 115 and may buy one on black friday sale. I also like Fiio M3Pro but it's does not have custom EQ and many does not like the sound quality of it.

Oct 6, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #9 of 20
The FIIO M6 has very good eq customisation with the preloaded FIIO music app and the added benefit of adding different players very easily in apk. The FIIO website actually has quite a few that they supply. It's a perfect weight for me, 2 memory slots, can be used as a DAC, can attach other DAC/AMPOS thru it's USB-C point. I can't compare with the Shanling tho I'm afraid
Thanks for your input! The M6 is my favourite right now, even if it is slightly above my budget. Some time ago i bought a music app for my Android phone - Player Pro. Can i check if it works with the M6 somehow? Anyway i think the stock player will be sufficient for me but using Player Pro would be a benefit.

@ChristianM The JWM 115 doesn't look that promising to me. It has no dedicated DAC but uses the built-in one from the (cheap) Rockchip RK3308G.
Nymphonomaniac stated in his review that the cheaper Ziku X9 sounds better. I would stand off unless you only care about the plenty features it offers for the price.

Oct 6, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #10 of 20
Rockchip RK3308G, that's why I'm hesitant to buy JWM 115, I read and watch the reviews of Ziku HD x9 and x10 & they're good but I'm trying to increase my budget for M3 Pro, maybe I get good deal during black friday.

Oct 6, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #11 of 20
Rockchip RK3308G, that's why I'm hesitant to buy JWM 115, I read and watch the reviews of Ziku HD x9 and x10 & they're good but I'm trying to increase my budget for M3 Pro, maybe I get good deal during black friday.
If you don't need EQ and don't use high sensitive (multi BA) IEMs i can fully recommend Ziku X9. It is sturdy built, has stunning sound quality and great battery life. Maybe it is not powerful enough for Headphones with low sensitivity and/or high resistance (i still cry about my Yescool S5).
M3 Pro could be the better choice of you can increase your budget.

Oct 6, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #12 of 20
If you don't need EQ and don't use high sensitive (multi BA) IEMs i can fully recommend Ziku X9. It is sturdy built, has stunning sound quality and great battery life. Maybe it is not powerful enough for Headphones with low sensitivity and/or high resistance (i still cry about my Yescool S5).
M3 Pro could be the better choice of you can increase your budget.

Ziku X9 is no more in production though, it is hard to find it on sale nowadays. But yeah if u can get a set somewhere it is a no frills good budget DAP. 20+ hours battery life, built like a tank. No touch screen, sound is quite good. My only beef with it is the hiss with highly sensitive IEMs. I find it is better for dynamic driver types rather than multi BA types as such.

Oct 6, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #13 of 20
I have KZ ZSN Pro and ZSX on the way from Aliexpress. I could not find ZIKU HD X9 on Aliexpress but there's a new version HD X10, but I read it has 4-5 hour battery life and price is almost the same as Fiio M3K but don't know which one sounds better.

Oct 6, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #14 of 20
+1 for the Shanling Q1. Price seems to fluctuate quite a bit though.

Oct 6, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #15 of 20
Thanks for your input! The M6 is my favourite right now, even if it is slightly above my budget. Some time ago i bought a music app for my Android phone - Player Pro. Can i check if it works with the M6 somehow? Anyway i think the stock player will be sufficient for me but using Player Pro would be a benefit.

@ChristianM The JWM 115 doesn't look that promising to me. It has no dedicated DAC but uses the built-in one from the (cheap) Rockchip RK3308G.
Nymphonomaniac stated in his review that the cheaper Ziku X9 sounds better. I would stand off unless you only care about the plenty features it offers for the price.

give me a link to which Player Pro as there's a couple similarly named

Users who are viewing this thread

Back