Budget DAC with some requirements
Dec 27, 2012 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DrGroove

100+ Head-Fier
I'm moving my PC to an m-ITX build and won't have room for a soundcard anymore, so I need to make the switch to discreet components. Currently deciding between the Schiit or O2 amp for headphones, and will be using an old Sony stereo amp for my speakers. I just need a few suggestions for my DAC:
1. Driver-less USB or optical
2. Two RCA outputs
3. Either simultaneous output or a switch to quickly change output

The cheaper the better, I just don't want to frequently change RCA cables going from headphones to speakers.

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Is keeping the original PC an option?  Just to use it as a dedicated music server? That would seem to be pretty cost effective, rather than getting a new DAC.

Nah, I'm trying to downsize for space reasons. I'll just sell my soundcard and put the $ toward the DAC. Does what I want even exist? If not, would a splitter reduce sound quality significantly?

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 6
Any chance you would run digital out of your computer to an external DAC, then connect the DAC to the old Sony receiver and plug your headphones into the Sony?

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Any chance you would run digital out of your computer to an external DAC, then connect the DAC to the old Sony receiver and plug your headphones into the Sony?

I frequently switch between IEMs and speakers, so I want an interface that allows easy switching. If I only use the receiver, I would have to readjust the volume all the time. Anyways, I did a little research and figure I'll just use splitters to the receiver and headphone amp. That should also be the cheapest solution.

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
I frequently switch between IEMs and speakers, so I want an interface that allows easy switching. If I only use the receiver, I would have to readjust the volume all the time. Anyways, I did a little research and figure I'll just use splitters to the receiver and headphone amp. That should also be the cheapest solution.

The Fiio E10 USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier, comes with a separate line-out function, you can connect the line-out to the Sony, using a 3.5mm to RCA cable.
The built in headphone amplifier has a really low impedance :)
The E10 is only $44.99 at Adorama.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back