Budget Can Recommendations?
Sep 23, 2007 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Acreo Aeneas

100+ Head-Fier
I'm new here so "hello" to everyone.

I've been reading several threads here on the Senn HD201 and HD202s since I am considering one of those two among others.

Here's what I would ideally like to have:
1) Some sound isolation (therefore cans/monitor-style preferred)
2) I would like to be able to get some clarity on the highs and a nice round "thump" on the bass and lows.
3) I would like to spend under $35-50 if possible.

Since I'm sure most of you will need a point of reference before making a recommendation, here is what I currently use:
1) Sony MDR-CD60 (I know it's ancient)
2) UE Super.Fi 3 (mainly for my ipod and when my room gets noisy)

What I have demo'd:
1) Bose Around-Ear Headphones
2) Bose On-Ear Headphones (my overall favorite, but can't afford)

The type of music I listen to:
1) Acoustic easy-listening (country, alternative, etc.)
2) Classical and Opera
3) Rock, Grunge, etc.
4) Techno/Electronica
5) A little Hip-Hop/R&B

I love the response and clarity of the Bose OEHs, but I can't afford the $180 price tag. I would like something that gives me better clarity (and less muddiness) and better bass quality than that of my current pair of MDR-CD60s.

Any recommendation would be appreciated

Sep 23, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 33
Anyone have any recommendations or is there a policy that says members shouldn't talk to newbies?

Sep 23, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 33
Sep 23, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 33
No I have not. Thanks for the links.

I guess I have now added the KSC75 to my list of considerations after reading several reviews by the audiophiles here. I'm still left with a question that hasn't really been answered. If I go on the road with the 75, does it block out unwanted noise well on a subway train or bus? And is it more of a warm sound?

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 33
The KSC75s are an amazing deal for the money, but they do not block anything and they do leak. When I use them at work, my coworkers can hear them, so I stopped using them except when I'm walking from the parking lot to my desk. It's actually a pretty long walk.

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 33
Would the HD201s sound "tiny" (like cheap earbuds do) on my iPod Nano? (since a lot of audiophiles cite this as a major drawback)

Sep 23, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #7 of 33
I'd forget those senns and instead go for a Sony V6, AKG K81dj, or Audio-Technica ATH-SJ5 from your description. You might need to stretch your budget slightly, but nowhere near as high as those regrettable Bose. Slightly cheaper options that are nearly as good include the Panasonic RP-HTX7 and Philips HP-460, though the panasonics might be a little bass-light for your tastes.

Sep 23, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 33
I keep seeing everyone mention Sony V6, is that the Sony MDRV600?

And what brand name are the AKGs?

Sep 23, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #10 of 33
Oh okay. I don't think I've ever heard of AKG.

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 33
Well I got a chance to visit Guitar Center and tried out the HD201 and the HD212Pro on my iPod. I have to say that the HD212Pro has a much warmer tone and closer soundstage, but muddy bass that didn't seem to be affected by different EQ settings. The HD201 sounds very close to my Sony MDR-CD60, but with better bass and new pads.

I'm going to try to try out the AKG, Sony, and Audio Technica suggestions above sometime later on.

Sep 25, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to try to try out the AKG, Sony, and Audio Technica suggestions above sometime later on.

Good man. If only we could get more head-fiers to try a lot of headphones before buying, this would be a happier place. Your observations about those senns are right on, especially unamped when the 201 is at a disadvantage. Wait until you hear some of the others that have been mentioned, though: I think you'll like what you hear.

and ps, if you really want to keep a senn on the list in that range, I think the HD205 is the best candidate.

Sep 25, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #13 of 33
I would suggest saving or spending a bit more for better headphones. You wouldn't want to keep thinking about upgrading to better ones. =P

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #14 of 33
I'm trying to get out to a Sam Ash so I can try the Senn H280Pro (prob next weekend).

I went ahead and just ordered a set of the HD201s. I'll be mainly using them at home hooked up to my computer (my Sony pair is falling apart fast). I'll just use my UEs for my iPod.

If I like what I hear from the HD280Pro, I'll add to my list of Christmas gifts-to-self list.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back