Budget Bookshelf Shootout
Apr 8, 2004 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

insomniac

Headphoneus Supremus
So this has been done to death here and at other forums. But I haven't seen a heated thread on it lately, so...

Looking to pick up a pair of bookshelf speakers under $300. The cheaper the better. Will be used alone with no sub hooked up to a receiver, the Panasonic SA-XR25, or an integrated amp, the NAD C320BEE. The setup will be used primarily for music-listening but occasionally for DVD movies. Since a subwoofer is not in my plans at the moment, good bass is pretty important.

I've narrowed it down to:

- Paradigm Atoms

- NHT SuperOnes

- NHT SB2

- Axiom M3Ti

- PSB Alpha B

Any thoughts? New suggestions?

Apr 8, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 46
None of the choices you've listed have very good bass. The best ones on your list to use without a subwoofer are the Paradigm Atoms and supposedly the NHT SB2 (which I haven't heard). Also, if you're not going to get a subwoofer, avoid the NAD C320BEE. I used to own one and it just doesn't have enough low-end oomph to satisfy without a subwoofer. I can't recommend it. A good alternative is the Pioneer Elite A-35R, which has more powerful bass and is cheaper. I haven't heard the Panasonic unit you mentioned.

Apr 8, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 46
Thanks for the input, Wodgy.

I'm probably leaning away from the NAD due to price anyway.

I can't have a sub at the moment so I'm limited to bookshelf speakers. And floorstanding units are out of my price range.

So I'll have to make do with these options I guess. I do have a small bedroom if that helps.

I liked the SB2's as well but they were the most expensive of the bunch.

Apr 8, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 46
You might consider the PSB Century 500i as an alternative. They're large bookshelves that were part of PSB's old lineup; there are a few places that still have them (e.g. dmc-electronics.com) for a reasonable price. They have satisfying bass, are easy to drive, and don't need a sub.

Apr 8, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 46
I checked out the Stereophile review of the Primus 150. Very interesting. I think the Primus 160 would better suit my needs though.

I'll check out those PSB Century 500i as well.

Apr 9, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 46
Hello,

Under NORMAL circumstances, how low will music normally go anyway? Most of these models will "only" go down to 50-60Hz...

I'm currently facing the same situation, and thus far I am tending to buy either some KEF Coda 70s, Athena AS-B2s or B&Ws. Probably the B&Ws, 601 or 602 S3.
I *absolutely* don't want a sub either, as this is a bedroom system.

But insomniac, make sure you check the B&Ws.

Apr 9, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 46
I think going to Stereophile's website and looking through Robert Reina's various speaker reviews is a good start. He often compares the speakers he's reviewing to past speakers he's reviewed and have liked. He might never write a bad review, but that's cause he seems to genuinely enjoy the speakers he's auditioning. He outlines, describes, and compares strengths of various speakers so you can get a sense of how each speaker compares with each other. At that price point you kind really go wrong but you can do well by picking a pair of speakers that does what you value the most.

Apr 9, 2004 at 1:32 AM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Ymer
Hello,

Under NORMAL circumstances, how low will music normally go anyway? Most of these models will "only" go down to 50-60Hz...

I'm currently facing the same situation, and thus far I am tending to buy either some KEF Coda 70s, Athena AS-B2s or B&Ws. Probably the B&Ws, 601 or 602 S3.
I *absolutely* don't want a sub either, as this is a bedroom system.

But insomniac, make sure you check the B&Ws.

People who listen to classical or jazz can usually get away with speakers that only go down to roughly 60Hz (-3dB, not -10dB). You still miss the lowest notes in organ music, but how much organ music does the average person listen to? If you're at all into rock or electronica, you probably won't be satisfied with speakers that don't go down to at least 40Hz (again, -3dB), unless you really dislike bass. It also depends on the speakers themselves. e.g. The Paradigm Atoms the original poster asked about have a slightly pumped-up midbass which gives them a greater sense of bass than their small size would usually provide. They're not the most neutral of speakers, but they're satisfying.

The speakers you've mentioned are in higher leagues than the ones mentioned by the original poster. You'll probably find some of them satisfying, but you should audition them first to understand what to expect. (I personally like the Kef Codas.)

Apr 9, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #11 of 46
Don't forget that an amp will make huge difference in how much bass you will achieve with any pair of speakers. I went to speaker city where they have something like 25-30 different DIY design speakers running from little 2" woofer 2 ways all the way up to speakers whose parts alone are $$$$. ALL of them sounded like crud coming from an old hafler amp.

Then, I heard them with a sunfire $4000 integrated...Even the 2" driver speakers were pounding bass! With their speakers that were rated down to about 65hz bass extension, I was swearing there was a subwoofer on. These were 5.25" woofers. The same speakers that were absolutely dead and lifeless on the other amp.

Apr 9, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #12 of 46
I currently own the NHT SB2, and used to own the NHT SuerOne, Polk Audio RT25i, Boston Acoustics CR8, Paradigm MiniMonitor V.1, JBL S26, Tannoy Mercury mx1, and the Energy C-1. All were used in the same room, which is a den approximately 10" X 15" in size. I have also auditioned the Axiom M3Ti, the B&W DM302/303 and 601/602.

For my money, the NHT SB2 has the best combination of bass response, imaging, and transparency. The NHT SuperOne sounds warmer than the SB2, but its bass response is lacking. But in a small room, the SuperOne is pretty good in its day.

The Axiom sounded cold and sterile. Same with the B&W 303. The 302, on the other hand, is one of the best small inexpensive speakers I've heard.

The Paradigm Mini-Monitor was just too boomy for my room. In a bigger room, it should sound better.

Apr 9, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #13 of 46
Wodgy: Do you think the Codas are good enough to play all styles of music? I mean, I listen to classical and metal mostly and finding the right speaker for just about anything is kinda hard. I really like the Codas for their size, It'd be awesome to have them in my room. By now, the only other option I'm considering is one of the models on the B&W 600 series.

I can't find NHT speakers around here after all.

But do any of you have an opinion about one of these integrated amps? I have three options currently: Marantz PM-44SEF, Rotel RA-01 and a vintage Akai AA-1040.

Thanks

Apr 9, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #14 of 46
I've owned:

B&W 601
B&W CDM1
Reynaud Twin MKII
Axiom M3Ti
Paradigm Atom
Meadowlark Swallow
Vienna Acoustics Hydn Signature
Spendor S3/5

And out of all of them my favorite was the Spendor S3/5 but the Paradigm Atom was surprisingly as satisfying as the Spendor's and more so than most in that list. All those speakers are gone and I still have the Atoms. Wodgy has described them well, they are not the most neutral but they possess a really nice tone that's very full sounding and detailed but somewhat sweeter and non-fatiguing highs. The midrange is unbelievably good for a speaker at this price. They do sound their best when perched on very solid stands and away from the wall if possible. Like other competitive speakers in this price range the Axiom's will offer a bit more treble detail but it doesn't sound as natural to me. I did like the Axioms myself. The B&W 302 is a good little speaker, I can vouch for them too. I'd encourage you to check out Robert Reina's reviews too, I always look forward to his reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back