Budget Amp for SE530's/HF-2's
Jun 30, 2009 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ABathingApe

500+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

Just purchased a pair of HF-2's from TVVJ and I figured I'd need an amp finally. I've been looking at ibasso D10's, which I know are NOT fullsized amps, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest something similar in a full size. I'd like to have a DAC. Any/All suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 15
I would probably go for something with a very nice and quiet power supply and a nice volume control.

Something along the lines of the un-released Pico Slim or maybe even the Alo Amphora. Both are battery powered which helps keep the noise floor at a very minimum. This is good because the 530 can pick up hiss very easily.

The amp I personally used while I had SR-60 and SE-530 was a Go-Vibe V5. This was nice, but there was channel balance issues at low level and a little grit while changing volume. I'd associate that with the volume control (switched ALPS green) that is on many portable amplifiers.

Let us know what you find and how it works for you!

Jun 30, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would probably go for something with a very nice and quiet power supply and a nice volume control.

Something along the lines of the un-released Pico Slim or maybe even the Alo Amphora. Both are battery powered which helps keep the noise floor at a very minimum. This is good because the 530 can pick up hiss very easily.

The amp I personally used while I had SR-60 and SE-530 was a Go-Vibe V5. This was nice, but there was channel balance issues at low level and a little grit while changing volume. I'd associate that with the volume control (switched ALPS green) that is on many portable amplifiers.

Let us know what you find and how it works for you!

Hmm, the ALO Amphora is a little over my budget... like 700 dollars over. I guess I should have specified ~$300 dollar price range.
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'll wait to see how people find the Pico slim though, because Grado's can be run un-amped.

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #5 of 15
I've been looking at a lot of the RSA options, but they don't seem to cut the price that much. Seems amps retain their value quite a bit.

Jul 1, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #9 of 15
ABathingApe, I've been using the HF2s with a pico amp/dac and my macbook, which is quite a good combo for them. I don't know anything about the ibasso, except what I've read, but since it fits your price, you might want to do some research into it, since I don't think you really need a desktop amp for these (and since you're also looking for your iems), and the dac feature definitely makes a difference over just my macbook. If you're looking for just an amp, I'd look in the FS forums for a used Pico (without dac), AE2, RSA models, or even a mini^3 for a super affordable but really nice diy amp.

Jul 1, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #10 of 15
By the way, the 530s DOES HISS with the Amphora, but despite that the Amphora brings me new appreciations for the 530s. One can also add an inline impedance adapter to eliminate the hiss.

Jul 2, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #12 of 15
Pico is the portable amp of choice for Grado. I use it for RS-1 and so do many others........and you can choose the amp/dac version (which I have, as does a friend after I loaned him mine). My other portables are P51 Mustang, Xin Supermini, and Xin Reference. The Pico was easily the best mating. My HF-2 is in the mail - but I seriously doubt the amp of choice would change in this application.
At home I've acquired the tendency (for RS-1) to use a K.I.C.A.S. Caliente, with a Pico dac. which plugs into the Caliente directly (you use male/male connectors @ $17 for the pair) - no cables needed for it in this instance.......this is until I finally get an E.A.R. HP4.

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #13 of 15
Do any of you have experience with ibasso products? I've read really good things about them (especially the DAC) on that USB DAC thread in portable amps. Though I guess I can wait until "end of summer" to see what the reviews are on the pico slims.

Jul 2, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ABathingApe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do any of you have experience with ibasso products? I've read really good things about them (especially the DAC) on that USB DAC thread in portable amps. Though I guess I can wait until "end of summer" to see what the reviews are on the pico slims.

Heard goof stuff about the D10...might get it for Se530s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back