Buddy looking to get into IEMs $100-200USD
Apr 22, 2012 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

B-Dawk20

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey there Head-Fi, I've never bothered to look into IEMs that much before(especially in this price range) so I'm sorry about giving you guys another "help" topic but a friend of mine is really considering getting some IEMs. Mostly these are his requirements

-$100-200USD, definitely cannot go over $200
-Listens to Asian pop, a bit of rock, hip hop, and R&B
-Needs to be able to powered from a phone(a Droid) and ipod alone
-Doesn't want overpowering bloated bass but if a song is giving it, really wants it to be present. Basically a well balanced IEM(given the price range)

Besides that, not a lot needed. He has small ears though, keep that in mind I guess. Here are some cans within that range that I saw.

Shure SE315
Etymotic HF3
Etymotic HF5
Ultimate Ears UE700
Monster Turbine

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 22
What an intriguing range...

VSonic GR07,

TDA B200

Used Westone 3

RE262

Klipsch Image X10

Aurisonics ASG-1 (Seems to be a hit-miss-miss-miss headphone though, those who love it LOVE it, those who hate it HATE it)

How could I forget...

FutureSonics MG7pro

Brainwavz B2

Fischer DBA 02 Mkii

So many more... can't remember.  

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 22
+1 Monster Turbines. $75 on Amazon, very good sound for that kind of money.

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 22

Quote:

VSonic GR07,

TDA B200

Used Westone 3

RE262

Klipsch Image X10

Aurisonics ASG-1 (Seems to be a hit-miss-miss-miss headphone though, those who love it LOVE it, those who hate it HATE it)

How could I forget...

FutureSonics MG7pro

Brainwavz B2

Fischer DBA 02 Mkii

O_O that's a lot of different viable headphones! Got any comments on how these differ sonically?

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 22
For aforementioned music genres, better stick with Sonys or Audio-Technicas. Especially for any kinds of Asian pop. 

EX600 comes to mind, but they used to go for $130 on amazon so their current street price is kinda overpriced IMO. 

The rest of the stuff on your list are all pretty good. I'd go with UE 700 if you can find them for $110-120ish.

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 22

Quote:

VSonic GR07,

TDA B200

Used Westone 3

RE262

Klipsch Image X10

How could I forget...

FutureSonics MG7pro

Brainwavz B2

Fischer DBA 02 Mkii

id recomend those 2

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #8 of 22

Quote:
For aforementioned music genres, better stick with Sonys or Audio-Technicas. Especially for any kinds of Asian pop. 

EX600 comes to mind, but they used to go for $130 on amazon so their current street price is kinda overpriced IMO. 

The rest of the stuff on your list are all pretty good. I'd go with UE 700 if you can find them for $110-120ish.

+1

I love my ATH CKM99's for all types of asian rock and pop. Their sound fits it perfectly and most important of all they're comfortable. I have small ears and can only use S or XS tips, and the AT's fit perfectly. You might want to look into the CKM99's or CKS77's for your friend.

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 22
Thank you so much so far guys. I'll pass on this stuff to him

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 22
Vsonic GR-07/Fischer DBA-02 mkII...a lot bang for the buck in either.  Vsonics being a bit more bass oriented at the bottom, although the Fischer's are no slouch through out the frequency range.

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #11 of 22
Also, just to make sure, keep in mind he won't be using these with any extra equipment, just a phone and an ipod.

Apr 23, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #12 of 22
The CKM99 is definitely one of the finalists for sure. I'm still looking into the others in more depth.

Apr 23, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #13 of 22
Think I've ruled out the VSonic. Sound sig wise, it's probably not what he's looking for.

Apr 23, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #14 of 22
Although the VSonic doesn't have as much oomph, it's pretty texture and good in terms of soundstage and throwing sonic cues.  But actually I doubt your buddy cares, I think he'd rather have a  Wow... headphone and probably won't be able to know appreciate all the technical details so yes, so with ATH and Sony. ^^

Apr 23, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #15 of 22
That's kinda where I was going with it. I don't think it's a good place to start for someone not that into audio and who probably never will be. Maybe if he cared more, but I'm not sure he will. Why not give him something that I know he'll enjoy. That being said, I am a bit on the wary side of the highs of the ckm99. I kinda wanted an IEM with a bit more mids than what people say about it but eh, what can you do. I'm still haven't looked into the Fischer and a few sony's yet though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back