Buckethead's solo in Jordan is the best solo ever recorded.
Aug 11, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #91 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmurray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I agree that some pianists sound sterile. Not always the case though. Glenn Gould has earth-shattering technique but that's not what you hear when you listen to Goldberg for example.

You've just described Buckethead
tongue.gif

show me one Buckethead solo that's not flashy and fast...............I'm very willing to listen to it.............

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #95 of 113
i understand the context is a tribute to MJ, but i didn't hear it as heartfelt the approach and the lack of vibrato and the process of being confined to a minor scale and the absence of rubato made it feel very plain.....not saying his heart wasn't in the right place, but to my ears its just sleep music

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #96 of 113
Fair enough. I wasn't expecting you to become a fan all of a sudden.

Btw there is vibrato in there. The natural minor/aeolian tonality is his favorite it seems, almost all his diatonic stuff is aeolian. If you get bored easily listening to a minor tonality without embelishments, I can totally see where you're coming from.

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #97 of 113
In truth, I'm not really a fan of any rock guitarist which doesn't have at least some essence of the blues in their playing......they don't have to be a blues oriented guitarist, but I don't hear a strand of the blues in Buckethead....it leaves me totally cold....

Even the jazz greats - Grant Green, Wes Montgomery, Charlie Christian.....they have tremendous affection for the blues in their playing.....then you come to someone like Pat Metheny who in the beginning of his career was a lot more raw and crude and much more listenable, today his stuff is smooth and cold...............

The essence of the blues gives a musician personality...they don't have to douse themselves in it, but eversince bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, the blues has been absent from a lot of metal guitarists......

For instance, I'm not much of a fan of Van Halen, I greatly dislike Randy Rhoads, I think Slash however is brilliant.........so that's my thing.

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #98 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In truth, I'm not really a fan of any rock guitarist which doesn't have at least some essence of the blues in their playing......they don't have to be a blues oriented guitarist, but I don't hear a strand of the blues in Buckethead....it leaves me totally cold....

That's a fair comment. You don't usually hear much blues in his stuff but there are exceptions.

This is about the bluesiest thing he's done;

YouTube - Buckethead with Travis Dickerson - The Chicken Or The Egg

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #99 of 113
I just came across an interview with Bill Laswell and thought he summed it up quite nicely;

" Laswell, who has recorded such revered players as Jeff Beck, Steve Vai, and Sonny Sharrock, says that no one plays like Buckethead: "He has a completely original voice - you hear that immediately. Everyone talks about how great he is and how fast he plays, but I'm more interested in the fact that he doesn't play cliches. His music is less about the guitar than about him. There's a character there." "

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #100 of 113
To go back to the original question, while I don't know all that much about bass playing I would say that Victor Wooten soloing Amazing Grace means a lot more to me and is more impressive than Buckethead. (Ducks for cover)

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #101 of 113
I like Zappa's "Penguin in Bondage" solo from "Live at the Roxy" myself.

Aug 11, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #102 of 113
Aug 11, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #104 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with Buckethead, Vai, Satriani, Yngwe.......is they are SOOOO dependant on technique that there is little emphasis on musicianship........I'm not saying the musicianship is not there, but the technique is always first and foremost what you hear..............

I am sorry, but there is something wrong here. You can not seriously put Joe Satriani together with Buckethead and Malmsteen?
biggrin.gif

When I listen to Satriani, I first and foremost hear the sweetest tones from what I think is one of the most accomplished guitarist ever. He for sure has technuiqe, but also a deeper musical understanding which makes him what he is.
His melodies got soul, they tell a story, and are played with true feeling and heart and the sweetest touch, which makes the whole difference to me.

I would say with Satriani it is the other way around, first and foremost musicianship, but the technique is absolutely there as well.

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #105 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmurray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the other hand, in the classical and jazz world, amazing technique and very fast playing is found everywhere, in fact it's usually a requirement - yet none of those musicians are dismissed simply because they have solid technique.

I actually feel as much dislike for flashy jazz horn players (well, probably more) as for shredders, for the same reason. Both have really diminished what started out as soulful genres by falling in love with their own musicianship. People rag "smooth jazz" sax players, but at least those artists have some understanding of melody and emotion and song form. I go to jazz festivals and hear these guys running bebop scales and modal improvisations and think they are making music, and it is almost sickening to me. Running various scales or arpeggios over stale chord progressions as a solo is bad enough, but it gets to the point where the solo becomes the whole "song". Ugh. But at least if the rhythm section is tight that is something.

Anyways, metal shredding is basically the same problem, just dressed down, distorted, and played over simpler chords.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back