BSG Technologies QOL Signal Completion Stage
Feb 16, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 19
Feb 16, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 19
Sounds like a load of BS to me

Actually now that I read the description of the patent in the article it sounds a lot like creating a stereoscopic video from a 2d video by showing one eye the current frame and the other eye a couple frames ahead or behind. The image has shifted between those frames giving the illusion of parallax, which our brain interprets as depth. So this is may actually do what it claims, make the sound seem as though it is coming from all sides, or at least something like a semi circle in front of you. Not sure why that would be desirable though...

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 19
Apr 30, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #6 of 19
Seems it plays back louder for one thing, due to the mixing in of out-of-phase info, which confused even the reviewers. 

This is an interesting read: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?4384-Stereo-Field-Processing&highlight=Technology

May 25, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 19
I read the TAS and 6moons reviews and decided to give it the 30-day trial. To my eyes, it looked like the fundamentals are identified (more or less) by filtering different frequency bands out, then passing each through a set of phase shifts (like delays) and adding it all back together with a pass-through copy of the original signal for each channel. The end result would be similar to the reverb that sound engineers use to provide a matching "space" or ambience surrounding each close-miked voice in the final mix.

In other words, it takes that clean, noise-free, transparent and distortionless audio signal that we audiophiles have worked so hard to achieve in our systems, and adds in small, distorted copies of the original signal.

And that's more or less what I heard when I tried it in my headphone rig.  Each voice or instrument had its own "space" around it. Each one sounded as if it had been recorded in its own soundbooth. Terribly incoherent on headphones.

And that's what my ears heard when I tried it my speaker rig. So, a well-recorded solo piano normally sounds as if it emanates from a point source about 6 ft behind and between my speakers, with slight shifts between high notes and low notes, like a real piano. And each note is crystal clear, with natural attack and decay and sustain.

With the Qol, the piano sounds much more solid, spatially expanded to a real-sized source. And with every acoustic recording, each voice or instrument no longer sounds like a point source, each seems to have physical size and presence.

So for me, it is a distortion device. But when I pulled it out of the system, my wife immediately said, "What changed? Please put that back. I like it much better that way." Do I need to explain that if my wife wants to listen to my speaker system with me, I'm all for it?

Of course, when I want to listen alone and hear beautifully transparent and distortion-free music, I use my headphone rig.

wink.gif

May 26, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #9 of 19
Budx, have you tried it with your headphone rig?

May 28, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #11 of 19
May 29, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #12 of 19
I initially thought this was an (expensive) ADC, but their web page claims that it doesnt work that way. Nor is it EQ/DSP - its their own special creation, and  the 'Completion Stage' is just a proof-of-concept for something they want to see included in everything from mobile phones to DACs. I just cant help thinking of the Digizoid ZO - a fun distraction,  and a handy way of taming poor mixes, but a long way from the supposed audiophile mantra of 'accuracy and neutrality over euphony',  I find the individual impressions interesting, but I have to wonder how quickly the novelty wears off - I guess time will tell. In any case, I see no harm in this being offered as an optional upgrade on a DAC - being able to toggle it off and on would work for me. 

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #15 of 19
Sweden,

thanks for posting that. Hard to understand why Tyll H posted a 6min video about something that he could not give an opinion about ("very interesting"), especially since it tries to do something like the cross-fill that his Headroom amplifiers do.

It would be interesting also to compare to the cross-fill that the Fosgate head-amp does, or to the stereo recreation that the Smythe Realiser offers (w and w/o a Qol - haha).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back