Brushes with Music Celebrities
Jun 15, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #16 of 57
My two bestest:

2) You know Husker Du's The Living End concert album. Well, me and my sister saw them live in Montreal in 1986 (where they did "Celebrated Summer" etc). My sister wormed her way up to in front of the stage, right between it and the mosh pit. The slammers kept beating into her and crushing her against the stage, but she kept staring up at Bob Mould with a look of ecstatic adoration. Finally, he noticed her and gave her a look of profound incredulity - like "You're a fecking lunatic, aren't you." It was one of the high points of her life.

1) I was Cub Scout of the United States in 1977 (I kid you not). Part of the gig was getting to share a stage with Burl Ives in Phoenix Arizona. I said: "Gee Mr. Ives, would you sing 'Goober Peas'?" And then he sang "Goober Peas."

Jun 15, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #17 of 57
Quote:

I went shopping down the road from my place and came across Peter Green. I said hello and had a chat and it turns out that he lives behind and opposite me, so now we're friends.

Next time you see him, ask him why he didn't make it to John Mayall's 70th birthday concert. Mick Taylor and Eric Clapton managed ... and Clapton hadn't seen Mayall in decades because Mayall fired him when he heard he was practicing with Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce. Buddy Wittington, Mick Taylor, and Clapton all on stage at once was a great thing .... adding Peter Green would have been even better.

Jun 16, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #18 of 57
I was right next to my friend at the Meadowlands Arena (pre Continental Airlines Arena crap) at New Orders Republic Concert. Peter Hook was drinking a Rolling Rock onstage between songs, my friend reached up an Hooky gave it to him. We passed it around and finished it.

Michael Jackson was shopping at my storea couple of times and we would walk past him and bump into him on purpose. This was about 4 years ago.

Jun 16, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #19 of 57
I literally ran into Nick Mason at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in 2000. I was there for the final celebration at the close of the festival, and I was backing away from the bar with a glass of champagne when I stepped backwards into someone. It was Nick Mason! He was nice enough, and I got to tell him that I really loved his work and his Ferrari 250 GTO!

Earlier that day I'd had lunch with Barry Sheen, a very famous motor cycle racer and Bob Eaton, then president of Chrysler Corporation. When Mr. Eaton introduced himself I felt just a little inadequate. He said confidently "hi, I'm Bob Eaton, President of Chrysler Corporation.".

I replied weakly "Hi, I'm Dillan, a cabinet hardware salesman." He was really a good guy though. We talked a long time about the history of Chrysler Corp. He quickly became "one of the guys" when our conversation turned to hemis and 440s. We actually had a good time.

If you get the chance, do go and see the Goodwood Festival of Speed. It's really incredible.

Also, I had a coffee with Randy Bachman once. He was nice too! I couldn't stay and talk too long since I was working in the bookstore he was signing autographs in. I had only 2 minutes before I was pulled away.

Jun 16, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #20 of 57
Worked as a bouncer at a club in NC in 1992. Met Dave Matthews (and the rest of the band). I recorded the concert, and they all signed my tape. Dave signed it "Thank you (you) for the work you (you) have done to support the foundation."

They kept coming to the bar until 94, and while I don't have much positive to say about him after they started to get big, the rest of the guys in the band were always friendly and interested in talking.

I also worked shows with Dave Nelson (of New Riders of the Purple Sage, also wrote songs with jerry garcia), and on one occassion he got a fan to buy ME dinner. That was pretty cool.

Allen Woody of gov't mule (and before that the allman brothers band) always used to come up and chat with me before shows when I was recording them. Warren Haynes is also very accessible, even when playing bigger event shows.

Jun 16, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #21 of 57
I met James Brown in the Las Vegas airport on winter night in 1984. He was waiting for the limo and was standing right up against this big concrete column. I went up to him, asked for hi autograph but the only thing I had remotely like paper was a picture of my 57 Chevy 210 2-door wagon (What kind of guy carries pictures of his car? Me!). He tried to write on it a few times but it wasn't happening so I have an invisible autograph of James Brown. He's about 5'-2" tall.

ok,
erix

Jun 19, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #22 of 57
Living in NYC most of my adult life, I ran into quite a few. Most notably:

David Bowie. Sat next to him and Iman at Cafe Luxenbourg.

Madonna. Walked by her and her entourage in Central Park while she was walking her dogs. Saw Howard Stern and Kevin Bacon in the park the same day.

Buddy Guy. This one was special for me. Shook his hand after a show in NJ. My friend had him sign the neck of a Strat.

Larry Carlton. Also a special one for me. Shook his hand after a show at the Blue Note.

Wynton Marsalis. The day before I moved from NYC to California, I was playing basketball near Lincoln Center. He walked on the court with his drummer. I was the only person who knew who he was. I played 2 games with him and talked music with him for 5 minutes. Awesome experience.

Tom Waits. Sat next to him and his family on the flight form NYC to San. Fran. Very cool guy and is exactly how I expected him to be. Didn't want to bother him, so I just talked to him about my experience meeting his buddy...

John Lurie. Ran into him at 2:00 am at Blue Ribbon. We had a mutual friend and chilled for an hour. Hilarious guy.

Maceo Parker. His brother Kellis was one of my professors at Columbia Law. One of my favorite musicians on the planet, so this was an incredible experience.

Paul Shaeffer (spelling?). I lived around the corner from him so I would see him all the time.

Jun 19, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #23 of 57
Well, this isn't first hand, but....

My lil' brother has been the chief roadie for Alice Cooper for almost thirty years. Naturally there are lots of great stories. One of the best is the time he took Alice back to meet our parents. Pretty funny to think of Alice chugging a couple of cold ones with my mom at the kitchen table!
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #24 of 57
Ozzy Osbourne at the Starbucks in North Hollywood on Ventura. The whole drugged out thing might be an act, it might not, but he was certainly incoherent when I met him.

I also have a Melvins story. Back when Melvins was touring for Stoner Witch, I was writing for my college's newspaper, and I did a very brief interview with Buzz (the guitar player). I asked him what had happened to the female bass player who had been with the band on the previous record and others. His quote, "Bascially she was acting like a bitch, we got tired of her crap. We look at it like this: don't send a woman out to do a man's job."

Buzz gave me a total cold fish handshake. Years later, I went to an in-store appearance of the Melvins at Amoeba Hollywood. I had a Stoner Witch era poster, and their current bass player Kevin Rutmanis signed the poster "Mark!" which was the name of the bass player on the Stoner Witch recording.

Nov 16, 2005 at 10:10 AM Post #27 of 57
Phil Collins - behind me in line for a movie

Lemmy from Motorhead - sat at the table next to him at The Rainbow

Jack Russell - singer from Great White sat at out table with his babe
of a wife/girlfriend, then he sang some Zeppelin songs with the house band

Tommy Lee (Motley Crue) - answered the door when I had a delivery for
Heather.
icon10.gif

Danny Elfman - delivery to his house, met him, he introduced me to his dog

Nov 16, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #28 of 57
In the mid '80s I was attending a Santana concert in San Francisco. After arriving early, we parked the car and decided to stroll around. As we walked past the performance hall side door we saw Amando Peraza, the then conga/bongos player for Santana, sat on a low chair watching people. Out of no reason I felt an urge and yelled out "Hey Amando, how are you?" He stood up, started talking to me in Spanish with a big smile and really cordial gestures. I was with a date, and she was very surprised, "Really? does he know you?" Up to this day I have no idea whatsoever what he said to me, the memory is still vivid.

Again in the '80s I was attending a show by the Texas blues band "The Fabulous Thunderbirds". During intermission I went outside to the lobby and then found myself standing next to the Thunderbirds guitar player Jimmie Vaughn (brother of Stevie Ray Vaughn), he was relaxing and eating an apple. I chatted with him for a few minutes, he was really easy going.

Nov 16, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #29 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry
I also have a Melvins story. Back when Melvins was touring for Stoner Witch, I was writing for my college's newspaper, and I did a very brief interview with Buzz (the guitar player). I asked him what had happened to the female bass player who had been with the band on the previous record and others. His quote, "Bascially she was acting like a bitch, we got tired of her crap. We look at it like this: don't send a woman out to do a man's job."

Buzz gave me a total cold fish handshake. Years later, I went to an in-store appearance of the Melvins at Amoeba Hollywood. I had a Stoner Witch era poster, and their current bass player Kevin Rutmanis signed the poster "Mark!" which was the name of the bass player on the Stoner Witch recording.

That's funny about the autograph.

And re: the "female bass player" - for those who care, the Melvins bass player in the early 90's was Lori Black - daughter of Shirley Temple Black. Yes.. "Good Ship Lollipop" Shirley Temple. So yea, there's a direct link there between one of the most popular songs of the 20th Century, and the Melvins, a band who released some of the strangest and ugly music of the 20th Century....

-jar

Nov 16, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #30 of 57
I was onstage with Isaac Stern about a year before he died. It was part of some youth violin thingy, there were about 100 total violinists all playing Bach's Double Violin Concerto (d minor). Pretty cool, although I didn't get to talk to him.

A couple weeks ago my little sister (also plays violin) got to go backstage and meet Sarah Chang (yes she got photos!) after a performance!

Also I used to live down the street from Doc Dart of the Crucif**ks, if any of you know of them. He had a big crush (uh, yeah, this was pretty creepy!) on my friend and we hung out with him a couple times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back