Brush noise from the pot.
Mar 18, 2012 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

w62820616

Head-Fier
I noticed that my alps RK097 pot has a noise problem when I turn the shaft really fast. It only happen to the right channel ( where the metal shaft directly connected to). you need a low impedance ear phone to hear the problem (i am using UE ). But if you turn the pot really slow, you will not hear the noise. Anyone else have the problem? The pot is star grounded to the output jack.

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 9
It could be some build-up on the resistant coating. I would hit the pot with some contact cleaner and work it back a forth a few times (then hit it again, to flush out the muck). 

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 9
It sounds like DC symptoms.  I would also hesitate about squirting any contact cleaner into an Alps pot.  I'm not positive about the RK097, but the RK27 Alps' are lubricated around the shaft and the contact cleaner will dissolve all of it.

Mar 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
It sounds like DC symptoms.  I would also hesitate about squirting any contact cleaner into an Alps pot.  I'm not positive about the RK097, but the RK27 Alps' are lubricated around the shaft and the contact cleaner will dissolve all of it.

I did not realize. This is my usual fix for a scratchy pot, but usually I'm working on a vintage piece - nothing with a new ALPs in it. Thanks for the heads up. 

Mar 20, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
I did not realize. This is my usual fix for a scratchy pot, but usually I'm working on a vintage piece - nothing with a new ALPs in it. Thanks for the heads up. 

No problem.  Unfortunately, I found this out from experience ...
wink.gif
 ruined a perfectly good RK27 in the process. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back