Bruce Springsteen -- We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions
Apr 3, 2006 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

PATB

1000+ Head-Fier
There is a new Springsteen album being released on April 25, 2006: "We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions."

B000EU1PNC.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V56332076_.jpg

This album seems to be a compilation of tradional American folk music. Being a fan of the Boss's acoustic albums (Nebraska, etc.), and folk music in general, I am very excited about this new release.

Now the bad news: this will be released in freakin Dual Disc
mad.gif
. I hope Canada will not get the Dual Disc version so I can get a redbook copy from a Canadian online store, like I did for Devils and Dust.

Anybody else looking forward to this album?

Apr 3, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 7
Yup, I've been looking forward to this release as well. I'm always getting a flood of emails from www.brucespringsteen.net about this, that and everything. It's quite a marketing machine these days. But as far as the music goes, it's great that he's going back to his roots with this albulm and his recent solo and acoustic tour.

Apr 3, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 7
BTW, does anybody know if there will be a redbook version of this album (separate CD and DVD), at least in other countries? I checked mymusic.com and it appears they only have a pre-order for the Dual Disc version, which is definitely super bad news
frown.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
BTW, does anybody know if there will be a redbook version of this album (separate CD and DVD), at least in other countries? I checked mymusic.com and it appears they only have a pre-order for the Dual Disc version, which is definitely super bad news
frown.gif

I too have been very eagerly looking forward to this music. As for the format its being released in though, I couldnt agree more. Dual Disc's are absolutely evil and should be banished from the earth forever. The last Springsteen disc wont play properly in any of the eight cd playing units that I own, including my G08.
When I have to burn a cd to even listen to music I just purchased somethings very seriously wrong!
mad.gif

JC

Apr 6, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 7
I pre-ordered it from Amazon and got to watch some more video of the sessions for free. They were great. Edit: there's one tune you can watch for free without ordering.

I'm psyched about this album. Seeger's music, which often is really America's and the world's music that he channeled to bigger audiences - has been a part of my entire life, and I'm also a pretty big Bruce fan. What I loved from the clips is that the songs sound like genuine Bruce tunes, almost like he could have written them, yet they were not turned into something that's stupidly unrelated to their roots like some "tribute" tracks by indy bands. (Also not like the opposite either - someone lamely faking being a 1950s folk singer, which of course wouldn't have expected from B.S.)

How's this for cool: I know the drummer. A categorically unhip guy like me knows someone in Bruce's band!

May 9, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 7
So far, I can only find the redbook plus DVD version in UK online stores. It appears even Canada now gets DualDisc.

I wonder if I can order one from Amazon UK for shipment to US? Another option is to get one from ebay.

mad.gif

May 9, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 7
All I want to say is that if you watch the music videos, you'll see that the Boss and his crew are wearing AKG studio cans (I can't tell which models...) So surely it must sound good!!
biggrin.gif

(I'll start a photo thread once I get a DVD of their music videos
biggrin.gif
)

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back