bruce springsteen live / 1975-85
Apr 21, 2005 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

OceanEnthusiast

100+ Head-Fier
bruce2.jpg

i buy a lot of CD's that i dont mention here, but this is one to share.

performance quality is insane, emotional, high energy, new versions of songs, crowd is going nuts. 10 out of 10 for sure. version of 'the river' with 5+ minute autobiographical intro set to dreamy guitar is really hard to get through without getting teary. i've heard that track 10+ times, and it still gets me, i dont know why, my girlfriend is the same way. music rarely affects me like that. romantic, nostalgic, with that good ol' boy feeling running through your body. 'im on fire', 'born to run', 'candy's room' just awesome. as always, bruce's lyrics just ring.

sonic quality -- good for a live recording. instruments sound clear and clean, very live. vocals are right on.

if you like the boss, this is definately something to check out.

3 disc set. wants to be played loud.

Apr 21, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #3 of 8
Have the LP box. Certainly brings back a lot of memory from the 80's. The River also has a special place in my heart.

Apr 22, 2005 at 12:04 PM Post #5 of 8
I've had this set for years and years and every now and then dig it out. It definitely captured a moment, and although that moment has long since passed, he's still doing some cool things. The long awaited "Devils and Dust" CD is finally available!

Anyway, I'm not so sure I agree on the recording quality issue. While it's not bad, my guess is that it could be improved a lot by remastering. Only thing is that these 80's types of box sets are not usually good targets for remastering efforts because the sales volume just won't be there - shame, because I'd snap it up in a heartbeat if ever that day arrives.

Apr 25, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Only thing is that these 80's types of box sets are not usually good targets for remastering efforts because the sales volume just won't be there - shame, because I'd snap it up in a heartbeat if ever that day arrives.

I'll second that. This has been a favorite of mine for a long time and I would love to see it remastered. I also share the doubts about it being likely. Especially with the recent live DVD and cd releases.
I'm also eagerly awaiting the new Bruce cd. I'll be at Best Buy on Tuesday to grab my copy.

JC

Apr 25, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #7 of 8
Regarding the new Devils and Dust cd. Just ran down and checked the Circuit City, Best Buy etc. weekly sales flyers that are included with the Sunday newspapers. Circuit City is offering it for $9.99, Best Buy for $11.99 (of course they will match any printed ad from a competitor).
I was however, horrified to see that its a DUAL DISC. I had previously sworn not to purchase anything released on that unfortunate, malignant format, but I cant go without Bruce........what to do........
confused.gif

JC

Apr 25, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall
Regarding the new Devils and Dust cd... I was however, horrified to see that its a DUAL DISC. I had previously sworn not to purchase anything released on that unfortunate, malignant format, but I cant go without Bruce........what to do........
confused.gif

JC

I had the same dilemna for about 3 seconds, until I asked myself: What is it all about? The music or the technology? So my "Dual disc #1" is Bruce just as my "8 track #1" was Bruce ("Darkness On the Edge of Town").

Users who are viewing this thread

Back