Broken UM2s....AGAIN! Something tougher in the same class?
Nov 20, 2010 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mvalpreda

Head-Fier
For the second time in a couple of years I have broken the left tip on my Westone UM2s. First time I have no idea how it happened and this time I was trying to get a stubborn olive off. I'm a little frustrated since I am beyond careful with anything I own.....especially IEMs that I spent a good chunk of change on way back when. Are the UM3/UM3Xs any stronger?

I have a pair of V-Moda II and Vibe V-Moda Remixs that are seemingly indestructable. I wear them at the gym, get them caught on things, yanked out of my ears and they just keep on keepin'.
Obviously the V-Modas are no match sonically to the Westones.....but for the money they sound pretty good...little bass heavy but that works well for my techno and other dance music.

When I'm looking to get the best sound possible I just like to have a nice set of IEMs, I just don't want something so fragile!

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 8
For $299 USD + shipping to Singapore I think I would be time and money ahead to have them fixed and sell them and buy something new.

Now which have punchier bass? The UM3 or UM3X? Is there something people do to make taking the tips off easier?

Nov 22, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 8
Actually Null Audio outsource their re-moulding to UM too. You might want to explore the possibilities to ship to UM direct. But then again, given the cost of UM2 and the cost of customs (plus the lack of resale value), unless you really like the UM2 that much.. might as well move on to something else.. 

Nov 22, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #5 of 8
That is my plan at this point. Get them repaired and then sell them.

Is there something people do in order to make the tips easier to come off? Put something on the stem when putting the tip on so they don't seize or something?

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #6 of 8
I had UM2 for 2 years never had any problems with tips breaking. I used the bi-flanges from etymotic and never had problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back